Midlands League

Marten

Our usual issue of not finishing our chances... We were all over them from the start. It didn't help that we went down to 10 late in the first half, with the referee's decision baffling everyone, even the Petershill fans I spoke to. However, we should have been more than one up by then, if we would have been, we would have taken it across the line.

Petershill were very friendly hosts though, so despite the disappointing result I had a really good day out. All the best to them.

57 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Even the North still has Dyce in it.

Helps when you have a favourable draw though - home games against lower tier North and East sides, a bye v Armadale and a close game against a mid-table WOS Conference side with another in the quarters. 

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is there any talk of them spending any money on doing up their ground for potential promotion?

To do it this season they've got a ticking clock of about 3 months. Most clubs looking to get licenced for next season would already have an application in so they can start the official process. 

There's noises out there from Tayport, Lochee United, Pollok, and Kilwinning Rangers. I would have thought with some of the obvious things like floodlights and cover we'd have heard or seen something from East Craigie by now.

I'd imagine the clubs investing in improvement might be a bit annoyed if East Craigie are outspending them on playing staff. Rushing to add I know zilch about the Midland League, maybe East Craigie are just having a good year.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd imagine the clubs investing in improvement might be a bit annoyed if East Craigie are outspending them on playing staff. Rushing to add I know zilch about the Midland League, maybe East Craigie are just having a good year.

What can you do though if that is the case, at least once you are licensed your investment will start to pay off with Scottish Cup / SFA money coming in - at some point other clubs will likely need to do the same. And I daresay Lochee won't be unhappy if BOD have an unopposed play-off, as it means next time the Midlands winner won't have to worry about anyone other than the bottom club.

You don't know that for sure and that's arguably a little disrespectful to Golspie Sutherland even as things stand right now.

We were always told on here that Pollok couldn't possibly do floodlights but once the pathway opened up it didn't take long for planning permission to be sought at the first hint of possible promotion.

Bridge of Don Thistle's athletics stadium looks more fit for purpose for lower division SPFL than where Edinburgh City will soon be playing so who knows what their mentality might be 12 months from now.

6 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Winning the Midlands does guarantee The Shippy a Scottish Cup Berth which could provide some of the funds needed to go for a license.

Is there a Winter Break in the Midlands league this year, hoping to do a hospitality at one of the grounds after Xmas?

There's a winter break by default with the 25th and 1st falling on Saturdays. The Midlands and most of the other leagues haven't arranged alternatives and left the calendar blank. For the Midlands league fixtures end on the 18th December and return on the 8th January.

East Craigie have spent the first half of the season playing away from home to get the ground playable. I don't imagine they will be doing any more major works any time soon.

For those unfamiliar with the ground there is nothing there. Its a grass pitch surrounded by railings and grass banking. No terracing, no cover, no social club and changing room block that looks like a big garden shed