Midlands League

Marten

Game of the day lived up to its billing with a thrilling 2-2 draw between Broughty and EC. My first look at EC this season and it's easy to see why they've been doing so well. Broughty bossed the first 25 and last 25 whilst EC had slightly the better of the middle 40 so in the end neither side can complain at only getting a point. It probably wont stop me, mind you. Another goal for Josh Skelly today and a  tremendous strike from Ross McNaughton in the second half. Another great crowd in the region of 350. 

Went along to Broughty v East Craigie today. Enjoyable game and well contested. Is number 9 for EC Grady McGrath?, very impressed with his positioning and was clinical with chances he had and could have had another.  Broughty have a decent ground hopefully not too far away from being licensed. 

Just a quick question about players wages. Was at the Tayport v Letham game yesterday and one of Tayports best player was Dale Robertson who happens to be from Letham area of Perth asked a local at the game how you managed to get him and he said he's on a good wage. Just wondering what kind of money are these players on?

14 minutes ago, Welly boy said:

Just a quick question about players wages. Was at the Tayport v Letham game yesterday and one of Tayports best player was Dale Robertson who happens to be from Letham area of Perth asked a local at the game how you managed to get him and he said he's on a good wage. Just wondering what kind of money are these players on?

*Dayle

Edit to add - there will be large disparities in wages, even within one club. From basically expenses, up to three figures for a few players.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

26 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

*Dayle

Edit to add - there will be large disparities in wages, even within one club. From basically expenses, up to three figures for a few players.

Cheers for reply. Sounds  like  Letham will need to have a major whip round to try and get Dayle back playing for his local team.

Edited by Welly boy

• 2 weeks later...

Broughty have resigned one of the most exciting players at this level in recent years, Derryn Kesson from Peterhead on loan til January. Thoroughly looking forward to seeing the wee man back in action. Broughty away to Couper Angus today giving us a good opportunity to bounce back from last week's frankly awful cup defeat at home to Kirrie.

Not sure what's been happening at the back with us the last couple of weeks. We've had the best defensive record in the league this season and then suddenly we conceded 4 goals to Kirriemuir last week in one of the local diddy cups and then today, incredulously, 4 goals to Couper Angus in the league. We won 7-4 but that's by the by. Worrying. Another 5 goals for Josh Skelly today. Must be on about 50 for the season so far. All the other results went the way you'd expect today. The most impressive being Lochee Utd beating FWE 8-1 away.

I keep banging on about this but I wish clubs could find a way to be able to afford a full set of match officials. The Forfar West End v Lochee Utd game had an 80+year old running the line in absolutely foul weather conditions. To be fair to the old boy, instead of just standing on the halfway line raising his flag in favour of the home side every time the ball went out of play, he tried his best to stay in line with the last defender. 

Of course, he may not have been 80+, he may just have been 23 and from Forfar!

I keep banging on about this but I wish clubs could find a way to be able to afford a full set of match officials. The Forfar West End v Lochee Utd game had an 80+year old running the line in absolutely foul weather conditions. To be fair to the old boy, instead of just standing on the halfway line raising his flag in favour of the home side every time the ball went out of play, he tried his best to stay in line with the last defender. 

In fairness to the teams it’s not about the cost it’s about the availability of the officials. I’m sure teams could do without the added cost but they take the full set when allocated but that is very rarely due to availability.

4 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Only 2/9 games had ARs at the weekend, so where are you going to get these 14 extra match officials from? 

2 hours ago, JK83 said:

In fairness to the teams it’s not about the cost it’s about the availability of the officials. I’m sure teams could do without the added cost but they take the full set when allocated but that is very rarely due to availability.

That's not the information I've been given. I've spoken to three refs this season and they've all told me there's no problem with availability, it's purely down to finance. I put my hand in my pocket to sponsor match officials a couple of seasons ago and I'll be doing the same again this season. If anybody else fancies doing it, it's £60 for a referee and £30 each for the assistants.

2 hours ago, Den Spark said:

That's not the information I've been given. I've spoken to three refs this season and they've all told me there's no problem with availability, it's purely down to finance. I put my hand in my pocket to sponsor match officials a couple of seasons ago and I'll be doing the same again this season. If anybody else fancies doing it, it's £60 for a referee and £30 each for the assistants.

Prices are up this season I see. £55 for a ref and £27.50 for lino's last season. With the abuse handed out at some grounds mind you, £60 still wouldn't be tempting me to don the black.

On 02/10/2021 at 15:04, Jimi Shandrix said:

Broughty have resigned one of the most exciting players at this level in recent years, Derryn Kesson from Peterhead on loan til January. Thoroughly looking forward to seeing the wee man back in action. Broughty away to Couper Angus today giving us a good opportunity to bounce back from last week's frankly awful cup defeat at home to Kirrie.

Good to see Derryn getting a goal for Broughty on Saturday...and then promptly getting sent off. Some things never change. Welcome back wee man.

On 05/10/2021 at 09:41, Jimi Shandrix said:

Good to see Derryn getting a goal for Broughty on Saturday...and then promptly getting sent off. Some things never change. Welcome back wee man.

Good he is getting game time, knew his reputation for early baths but although mainly coming off the bench for us seemed to get on with playing rather than anything silly.