Midlands League

Marten

2 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Can't help thinking Dundee were a bit rash to release George Johnston. He played for their Development team at age 15 and is absolutely lighting up the Midlands League. I know he's a bit slight and there's a huge gulf in level but the speed and skill he's showing for Lochee United make him an absolute standout. Nice hat-trick last night but even when he doesn't score he's a delight to watch. If you thought Martin Boyle was quick....

It's difficult to say, he is very good for us, but then the difference between us and Premiership level is massive as well. Maybe he now hopes to grow with us if we get promoted.

Broughty won 2-0 today at Downfield.  Decent result that just about keeps us in the hunt. Fantastic result for East Craigie. They really are having a stunning season. Expect to see a reaction from Lochee next week but they are away to Broughty so not exactly the easiest game to try and get back to winning ways. It's an absolute must win for us. Also, Couper Angus, take a fucking bow. Not only did they win for the first time since Jesus was a lad, they also moved off the bottom of the table. Bravo, lads.

Well, a very day at the office and that after an excellent display against Downfield on Wednesday. It was rubbish, but I'm kinda happy there is no midweek football now as it gives the players some time to recover as clearly not all players were fully fit.

Finally returned to Downfield Park today, and considering the Spiders' league struggles this season I thought they matched Broughty Athletic relatively well throughout the game. Pretty rough watch overall tbh, but the first Broughty goal was particularly shocking, considering it came off a Downfield free kick which deflected off a player's arse and gave Skelly the break of the ball. Made up for the several good chances Broughty squandered in that half tbf, but Downfield too had a few opportunities which were wasted. Thought Downfield's keeper looked really good today, without him the defence could've shipped quite a few more. Last 10 mins or so were properly engaging, with Downfield controlling play and coming close to equalising, but a late counter-attack proved decisive in the end. Enjoyed experiencing a game at this level for the first time in yonks.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Hugely excited about next week's game against Lochee Utd. We'll be second favourites but if we turn up, we've certainly got players that can hurt them. Big month for us with a game against our nearest neighbours East Craigie on the horizon as well. Some poor results so far have left us with a fair bit of catching up to do but if we win both of these we're back in the mix. I've not made it to many games this season, but I'll crawl to get to this one if i have to. Be interesting to see if we've got a new manager in place for next weekend. Whoever it is has got some big shoes to fill. 

Broughty have confirmed that Darren Scott has moved up from assistant to become manager. He will be an instant hit if he can lead the team to victory in his maiden game today against Lochee Utd. First games don't come much bigger. Very much looking forward to it.

Well deserved win for Broughty this afternoon at home to Lochee Utd. The visitors shaded a cagey 1st half and had the half's only presentable chance that came back off the post. Broughty peppered the Lochee  goal and would have been more than 1 up but for 3 or 4 excellent stops from the keeper. That all changed with 10 minutes to go when Broughty went down to 10 men and Lochee had a couple of good chances to equalise, the best of which came back off the post. Certainly opened the league up, with Carnoustie dropping 2 points to Letham. Meanwhile, East Craigie march on with a 6-0 thumping of Harp.

4 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Well deserved win for Broughty this afternoon at home to Lochee Utd. The visitors shaded a cagey 1st half and had the half's only presentable chance that came back off the post. Broughty peppered the Lochee  goal and would have been more than 1 up but for 3 or 4 excellent stops from the keeper. That all changed with 10 minutes to go when Broughty went down to 10 men and Lochee had a couple of good chances to equalise, the best of which came back off the post. Certainly opened the league up, with Carnoustie dropping 2 points to Letham. Meanwhile, East Craigie march on with a 6-0 thumping of 

Didn't give Letham a hope in hell of getting anything from this game. So a big well done.👏

Preffered a Scottish Junior Cup game yesterday to watching footie on a plastic pitch so went up to Coupar Angus to see locals take on Yoker. Creditable show from the home team, only going down 2-0. Almost got a goal back near the end which would have made the game interesting. Fine display from young Coupar Angus keeper.

9 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Preffered a Scottish Junior Cup game yesterday to watching footie on a plastic pitch so went up to Coupar Angus to see locals take on Yoker. Creditable show from the home team, only going down 2-0. Almost got a goal back near the end which would have made the game interesting. Fine display from young Coupar Angus keeper.

I like the Coupar Keeper.  Looks better to me than what is on display locally.

I believe he is on loan from Violet, so they must have a decent custodian.

We were unlucky on Saturday, where we were clearly the poorer team against East Craigie, we did deserve something from the game at Broughty, a draw would probably have been a fair result. Then again, that's football. With Carnoustie dropping points the league is still wide open so no reason to panic yet. We're still missing a few players, with Coupar Angus being the only league game between now and early October, there at least is some time for the injured players to recover. Obviously I'd like us to win the cup games we've got as well, but the league must be the priority.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

We were unlucky on Saturday, where we were clearly the poorer team against East Craigie, we did deserve something from the game at Broughty, a draw would probably have been a fair result. Then again, that's football. With Carnoustie dropping points the league is still wide open so no reason to panic yet. We're still missing a few players, with Coupar Angus being the only league game between now and early October, there at least is some time for the injured players to recover. Obviously I'd like us to win the cup games we've got as well, but the league must be the priority.

I would respectfully disagree. We should have been outtasight long before we wen't down to 10. I thought we were comfortably the better team after a fairly even first half. Your keeper played a blinder in the second half. I was sat right behind him and he made some fantastic saves. You're going through your tough spell at the moment it would seem. We've had ours and Carnoustie have stuttered a bit lately as well. All of which is great news for the league. Doesn't look like anyone is going to run away with it. East Craigie are the only side who are still to have a sticky spell. Fair play to them, I don't think anyone would have had them up with the top 3 at the start of the season. They have done brilliantly. We have Scone in the league this week and then East Craigie at home after that. We'll be right back in it should we beat them. Looking forward to seeing them.

43 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I would respectfully disagree. We should have been outtasight long before we wen't down to 10. I thought we were comfortably the better team after a fairly even first half. Your keeper played a blinder in the second half. I was sat right behind him and he made some fantastic saves. You're going through your tough spell at the moment it would seem. We've had ours and Carnoustie have stuttered a bit lately as well. All of which is great news for the league. Doesn't look like anyone is going to run away with it. East Craigie are the only side who are still to have a sticky spell. Fair play to them, I don't think anyone would have had them up with the top 3 at the start of the season. They have done brilliantly. We have Scone in the league this week and then East Craigie at home after that. We'll be right back in it should we beat them. Looking forward to seeing them.

I thought both sides were pretty evenly matched, so we're going to have to agree to disagree.

On a different subject though, good to hear you were back at football. I hope you're doing well. 👍

Just now, Marten said:

I thought both sides were pretty evenly matched, so we're going to have to agree to disagree.

On a different subject though, good to hear you were back at football. I hope you're doing well. 👍

Thank you mate, I'm not doing well at all but would have crawled to get there on Saturday.