Midlands League

Marten

On 25/07/2021 at 16:22, Marten said:

It was agreed between the two sides, so I don't see the issue.

Also, the work is being done by SSE on electricity cabling (to enable supply for floodlights). Lochee United didn't choose when that was done.

That is a dismal excuse. LU are the customer, they can choose when the work is done.

7 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Ah. In the time it took me to type that, it's 1 all.

I was at the Blair vs Coupar Angus match tonight.

I felt like, bar a wobbly ten minutes when Coupar Angus took the lead, Blair were in total control. Still very profligate in front of goal and it was a fairly sloppy performance, but getting the first points and goals of the season will hopefully spur them on.

Edited by BartletBill

17 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Day 4 in the Midlands League house. My lot have got the night off to continue licking their wounds after Harp's 90th minute equaliser on Saturday, but here's a handy guide where not to put your pesetas tonight. Letham, one of the league's two new boys making the step up from the amateur leagues, are unbeaten after 3 games, and I fancy them to remain unbeaten after their trip to Arbroath Vics tonight. Desmonds for me Jeff. Poor Coupar Angus. I see  @mcruic has updated his senior/junior ranking table and  was stunned to  see that there are 11 worse teams. Another crushing defeat at home to Blairgowrie tonight will go some way to seeing the likes of New Elgin and Campbeltown Pupils closing that gap. Downfield have their first home game tonight against Brechin Vics and with it I foresee their first point in a score draw. Violet entertain Forfar Utd, two more teams who have had a difficult start to say the least. I fancy Utd to get their first win here and for Violet to remain pointless. FWE have had a good start with 7 from 9 and I think they will continue that against the other new boys, Dundee St James. Kirriemuir and East Craigie have both won1, drawn1 and lost1 so far. With such erratic form in mind, I think a 1 all draw could be in the offing here. Lochee Harp will now be at home against Lochee Utd due to ongoing upgrades to Thomson Park. Sadly, for every other team in the league, it will help them not a jot as the title favourites cruise to another comfortable victory. Scone will continue their rehabilitation at home to North End tonight with a 3-1 win and table toppers Carnoustie should be good enough to narrowly see off Tayport over the water. If you follow my advice and put a pound on Blair, FWE, Lochee Utd and Scone  to win, coupled with draws in the Downfield/Brechin Vics and Kirrie/EC games, you will lose £1. If by some miracle they all come in, you will be laughing all the way to the bank to the tune of £228.69.

Jesus, I thought I knew a little bit about this league. My predictions are getting worse. 4 out of 9. McBookies are laughing at me.

Carnoustie were always fairly comfortable against Tayport after taking an early lead. Very strong and powerful in all positions. Tayport decent but just a little youthful and less savvy in a few areas.

1 hour ago, Den Spark said:

Brechin Vics in fifth place, a team that lost 9-0 at home to Lochee United.

And yet they've won their other 3. I don't think they'll be too disappointed. Every team in that league other than Broughty and Carnoustie could lose by that margin to Lochee Utd. If this league does get split into two for next season, which has been mooted,  Brechin will hope to be in the top half. Their games against Lochee will count not a jot in this aim. We've got them at home on Saturday and I'm expecting a really tough game.

34 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

And yet they've won their other 3. I don't think they'll be too disappointed. Every team in that league other than Broughty and Carnoustie could lose by that margin to Lochee Utd. If this league does get split into two for next season, which has been mooted,  Brechin will hope to be in the top half. Their games against Lochee will count not a jot in this aim. We've got them at home on Saturday and I'm expecting a really tough game.

It's a prime example of the cream will eventually rise to the top.  It's effectively a 3 week old pyramid set up.  The first couple of years will be needed to sort itself out and all teams will find their natural level.  BoD would annihilate half the HL sides for example.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's a prime example of the cream will eventually rise to the top.  It's effectively a 3 week old pyramid set up.  The first couple of years will be needed to sort itself out and all teams will find their natural level.  BoD would annihilate half the HL sides for example.

True, we shouldn't take too long to get promoted really. Obviously there is absolutely no guarantee it happens immediately, Broughty & Carnoustie are decent sides for example and a PO against BoD wouldn't be easy either. But within the next few years we should really be able to make it. And if it's BoD coming up this season you'd imagine the ML champions wouldn't have that much of a problem in a PO against the North Superleague champions (if they are even licensed, but that goes for the ML champion too obviously).

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

...more like a decade at a minimum on sorting everything out on natural levels given there is a bottleneck on promotion into tier 5 and then the SPFL.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Banks O'Dee must be regretting the wasted years when a place in the Highland League was all but available by picking up the phone. Oops. 

Tbf those years began with them among 4 clubs applying for 3 places in HL... and being rejected despite being ADFA members, the best team and having the best facilities.

Their manager (?) rolling up to Cove Rangers' ground and wanting a square go with the chairman was a particularly amusing anecdote about what may or may not have happened in the aftermath. Since then though they definitely appear to be happy where they are. If the Midlands League hadn't crashed the party at the very last minute after Forfar West End's EoS application it's questionable how much pro/rel was actually likely to happen any time soon. Don't think there's any doubt that Lochee United are gung ho about it, so if/when they move up the other larger Tayside clubs are likely to want to follow.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

26 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf those years began with them among 4 clubs applying for 3 places in HL... and being rejected despite being ADFA members, the best team and having the best facilities.

And they ended with the Highland League having an empty space needing filled but BoD couldn’t be arsed. Now they face a nightmare trying to get through the playoffs. 

Unlucks. :lol:

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Their manager (?) rolling up to Cove Rangers' ground and wanting a square go with the chairman was a particularly amusing anecdote about what may or may not have happened in the aftermath. Since then though they definitely appear to be happy where they are. If the Midlands League hadn't crashed the party at the very last minute after Forfar West End's EoS application it's questionable how much pro/rel was actually likely to happen any time soon.

IIRC, it was at the Astro behind Asda, with Cove trooping off the pitch after a midweek training session and BOD’s manager seeing the Cove contingent and losing his shit. :lol:

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

As I recall when Kelty Hearts joined the pyramid and had to start at the bottom of it they were absolutely smashing teams some weeks.  They were clearly miles too good for that league but had quite rightly had to start there.  I can imagine Banks O'Dee doing much the same and challenging for the Highland League title within a few years.

31 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Their manager (?) rolling up to Cove Rangers' ground and wanting a square go with the chairman was a particularly amusing anecdote about what may or may not have happened in the aftermath. Since then though they definitely appear to be happy where they are. If the Midlands League hadn't crashed the party at the very last minute after Forfar West End's EoS application it's questionable how much pro/rel was actually likely to happen any time soon. Don't think there's any doubt that Lochee United are gung ho about it, so if/when they move up the other larger Tayside clubs are likely to want to follow.

Talks were already ongoing before FWE's application to the EoS, they have been going on for a while. Their application was probably to explore their options in case this would fall through.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

Talks were already ongoing before FWE's application to the EoS, they have been going on for a while. Their application was probably to explore their options in case this would fall through.

The only thing that changed was the integration of the Midlands League. The Highland Pyramid was starting this season with or without them.