Midlands League

Marten

Just now, Lichtie78 said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here, Lochee Harp invited Menzieshill to merge after their ERJFA membership was rejected. Think it’s only Jay Smart (as co-manager) and a couple of committee that remain from last season at Harp.

Didn’t know that, cheers! Obviously one of the best sides at amateur level in Tayside so no surprise to see them competing pretty well this season.

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's what a poster on NLM was saying recently:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/possible-new-dundee-junior-senior-team.4008/

Think it was St Joseph's ground and Elmwood would maybe just have been there on a groundshare similar to later with East Craigie?

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

This is correct. Can't remember Elmwood having a permanent ground in my time.

The Joeys were the original Marrs success story spending a shit load of money on nothing before leaving the club to collapse in their wake when they bought Dundee.

There was chat at the time of a Marrs led St Joseph's applying to the SFL. 

Thank you both. Elmwood defnitelynplayed at Midmill Park on their own in the 60’s and probably early 70’s. They moved out due to constant vandalism. From memory they ground shared at Stobswell’s East End Park before moving down the road to Craigie Park. St Joseph’s played at Gilburn Park a good partnof the 60’s and even played a game under floodlights in 1961 or 1962.  They ground shared but can’t remember who with although Violet and Downfield ring a bell plus maybe a season or two with Stobswell. Ironic that Elmwood ended up as lodgers at their old ground. 

Day 3 of the Midland League and as I've still got a shitload of time on my hands, I'll have another go at predicting tomorrow's fixtures. Blairgowrie are at home to Forfar West End and I fancy them to pick up their first point of the season in a score draw. Brechin Vics  have had a great start with two wins from two but I'm afraid league favourites Lochee Utd will be step up from either Scone or Violet. Anything other than a comfortable away win would be a huge surprise. A similar story at Laing Park where Carnoustie take on Violet. The home side have already hit Forfar Utd and East Craigie for 5 and I think they'll do the same here. A close one to call between North End and Downfield but I'm edging towards a narrow win for North End. Dundee St James got their first points on the board in midweek and I'm backing them  to get another in their home game with Arbroath Vics. Score draw. Really good result for Forfar Utd in midweek when they held Tayport to a draw. Fancy them to go one better in their home game with Scone who have had a pretty horrible start to the season. New boys Letham have taken 4 points from their opening 2 games and will fancy their chances at improving that tally tomorrow at home to Kirrie. I'm going to go for a draw in this one. It's the top of the table clash at Beechy Park between Harp and Broughty. Much like Brechin Vics, Harp have had a great start, but tomorrow will be a step up for them on the teams they have faced so far. Call me biased (I am biased) but I think Broughty will claim a narrow win. Finally, Tayport host East Craigie with both sides coming off disappointing midweek results. I fancy Tayport to get back on the horse, albeit in a very close game. I predict that these are more crap predictions. One day I'll get it right McBookie. Then you'll be sorry.

Think there was a full-time clubs colt teams in the HL angle to the latest proposal that got knocked back. The Old Firm angle is what drives most of the opposition. Nobody seems to be losing any sleep on here over Nairn County having a colt team in the North Caledonian League at tier 6.

7 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I have not been a fan of the old firm b teams getting into tier 5. Does anyone envisage a time where Dundee, Dundee Utd and maybe even Arbroath and Forfar Athletic colts apply to join the Midland League? 

There's nothing to stop them. Considering the Midlands still falls under the ERSJFA, where a Spartans reserve side played prior to the Lowland League being created. 

Most of the 'B' teams in the pyramid exist due to quirks of geography or opportunism rather than the idea of development. Stranraer & Nairn County because of geography. Stirling University and Caley Braves as a means of propping up their operating model (Edusport / Sports programme). 

A possible deterrent for full-time sides would be that the Highland League turned down ICT the year Cove Rangers were promoted. So they could be stuck in the Midlands. 

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Nobody seems to be losing any sleep on here over Nairn County having a colt team in the North Caledonian League at tier 6.

Nairn County and Nairn County 'A' are separated by a one tier. The 'A' team can't be promoted or relegated anywhere, don't play in any inter-league competitions and if Nairn County were relegated the 'A' team would cease to exist. It's not exactly in the pyramid.

8 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I have not been a fan of the old firm b teams getting into tier 5. Does anyone envisage a time where Dundee, Dundee Utd and maybe even Arbroath and Forfar Athletic colts apply to join the Midland League? 

They can apply if they want to, whether or not they get accepted is simply up to the clubs in the Midlands League.

I don't see the point. Most of Uniteds loanees end up in L1. 

Not sure pumping 20 goals past Scone is going to help them develop. 

ETA having said that Appere seemed to benefit from this time at Broughty. Would still be against it though.

Edited by invergowrie arab

41 minutes ago, grazza said:

Is there an issue with East Craigie ground noticed they are suppose to be at home today and its been moved to an away tie. My local team never been before but was half considering at some point 

@patriot1 mentioned he drove past Craigie Park the other night and wondered if there was drainage work going on. East Craigie used to be my second closest team but Stobswell just up the road were my first choice. Used to walk past both parks every day in the days, not before rock and roll, on my paper round. 

Not sure it's been mentioned in this forum, but I did see "St. James AFC" mentioned and the superfluous "Dundee".  In this case, the club's name is indeed "Dundee St. James" and it's not St. James AFC - who remain in the Midlands Amateur League.  Dundee St. James is the new name for Fintry AFC (who were previously Douglas Athletic until 2019-20).  So there are now separate 2 St. James clubs in Dundee - one senior/junior (with the Dundee moniker) and one amateur (without Dundee).

Edited by mcruic

Lovely day in the sun up at Harp 1-1.

Seriously unimpressed with Broughty. Looked like a really good amateur side against a good junior side to begin with and you felt as the game wore on Broughty would pull away

But after Broughty scored I felt they took foot off the gas and got what they served with a Harp equaliser late on

20210724_154540.jpg

90th minute equaliser for Harp. Ouch! 

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Lovely day in the sun up at Harp 1-1.

Seriously unimpressed with Broughty. Looked like a really good amateur side against a good junior side to begin with and you felt as the game wore on Broughty would pull away

But after Broughty scored I felt they took foot off the gas and got what they served with a Harp equaliser late on

20210724_154540.jpg

Yup. Not good. Two points dropped in a season where we're not going to be able to drop too many points. Credit to Harp though. It's been a really good  start to the season for them.

24/07/21

Blairgowrie 0 FWE 1

Brechin Vics 0 Lochee Utd 9

Carnoustie 3 Violet 1

North End 2 Downfield 0

Dundee St James 1 Arbroath Vics 1

Forfar Utd 2 Scone 3

Letham 1 Kirrie 1

Harp 1 Broughty 1

Tayport 0 East Craigie 0

Quite pleased with Scone winning if for no other reason than its nice to have a competitive league. I feared they could be left detached this year.

I'm already excited about the Lochee Derby on Wednesday. Utd should win handily enough but if Harp show same spirit and effort they showed today it will be a competitive match.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Was at the Blairgowrie vs FWE match yesterday. I've recently moved to Blair and been to their last two games. It's been a cracking watch and when it doesn't clash with my main team's home matches I'm going to get along to as many matches as possible.

Blair were by far the better team for the first 35 minutes or so, but then were down a man after one of their players got a second yellow. Forfar were on top until half time and it looked like it was going to be a long second half for Blair.

Blair absolutely bossed the second half, though, and missed a glut of chances. The FWE keeper  made an incredible save - legitimately one of the best i've ever seen in person. He was also great at set pieces, coming out and catching the ball in traffic, which is particularly impressive given he was about 5'7.

FWE managed to take the lead from the penalty spot and despite a lot of pressure held on for a 1-0 victory. 

For the second game in a row Blair should have come away with something, but they can't buy a goal at the moment.

FINAL SCORE - Blairgowrie 0 - 1 Forfar West End

5 hours ago, BartletBill said:

Was at the Blairgowrie vs FWE match yesterday. I've recently moved to Blair and been to their last two games. It's been a cracking watch and when it doesn't clash with my main team's home matches I'm going to get along to as many matches as possible.

Blair were by far the better team for the first 35 minutes or so, but then were down a man after one of their players got a second yellow. Forfar were on top until half time and it looked like it was going to be a long second half for Blair.

Blair absolutely bossed the second half, though, and missed a glut of chances. The FWE keeper  made an incredible save - legitimately one of the best i've ever seen in person. He was also great at set pieces, coming out and catching the ball in traffic, which is particularly impressive given he was about 5'7.

FWE managed to take the lead from the penalty spot and despite a lot of pressure held on for a 1-0 victory. 

For the second game in a row Blair should have come away with something, but they can't buy a goal at the moment.

FINAL SCORE - Blairgowrie 0 - 1 Forfar West End

We've beaten Blair 5-0 last week, and we did deserve to win for sure. But I can see what you say about them not being able to buy a goal. They had a few chances against us and did nothing with them.