Midlands League

Marten

3 hours ago, Honestman1954 said:

Is there a website for the new Midland League?

Just the Junior FA website I think, which isn't great either. Even the fixture list on SJFA website was really hard to read when first posted. Glad websites like Scottish Football Fixs exist.

The whole build up to the League has been very poor imo, no dedicated social media accounts AFAIA and little in Tayside press as well. The East Region Twitter account didn't even post the results until 9pm. Chalk and Cheese compared to the WoSFL launch last season. Even the SoS and North Caley - which are much smaller leagues have done a better job on social media in promoting their divisions.

I do think they missed a trick as well by allowing the games to be 2:30pm kick-offs as well and not 1pm for the opening weekend, as they are clashing with the League Cup games which probably put a few United, Arbroath, Brechin and Forfar fans off of watching their local non-league team and either gone to their club's game or watched a stream instead.

Edited by ArabAuslander

1 minute ago, Honestman1954 said:

The Midlands league is currently on 19 teams.  Is it likely to reduce in number next season to 18, or 16?

It might end up on 18 if the league champion gets promoted to the Highland League.

16 is only happening if some clubs fold.

It's a single division so they've just packed them in for now. It's likely to be a short term concern, but there's been no statement on a plan to split into Divisions for next season for example.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It might end up on 18 if the league champion gets promoted to the Highland League.

16 is only happening if some clubs fold.

It's a single division so they've just packed them in for now. It's likely to be a short term concern, but there's been no statement on a plan to split into Divisions for next season for example.

I'd guess that it's just too uncertain how many teams will take part next season. On the one hand a team could get promoted and say one of the new sides folds again, going down to 17. On the other hand Luncarty / Kinnoul could prefer shorter journeys & join the ML together with a few more amateurs coming over pushing it up to 23/24. Not saying which of those scenarios are likely or not, but they are just things that could in theory happen. Obviously in the second scenario there would likely be a split.

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Does seem a bit poor that the Midlands doesn’t have its own website or social media.

twitter wise they're still keeping the East Region twitter feed going https://twitter.com/eastregion_sjfa

It does seem strange not to follow through with a proper rebrand social media wise at least. As not everyone's going to keep track of the history of East Region now = Midlands League.

6 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Scone are a poor team anyway IMO.

True, but at least before this season they weren't as poor as that scoreline suggests, so something still happened.

10 minutes ago, Marten said:

True, but at least before this season they weren't as poor as that scoreline suggests, so something still happened.

Yeah fair enough. Lochee Harp seem alright this season though, drew with Kinnoull in pre season. I’d take Letham to beat Scone tbh. 

1 minute ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Yeah fair enough. Lochee Harp seem alright this season though, drew with Kinnoull in pre season. I’d take Letham to beat Scone tbh. 

It's obviously difficult to draw conclusions from pre-season and one round of league games. Especially with covid making things difficult for a few teams (ourselves included). Our game vs. Lochee Harp a week tomorrow will definitely be interesting.

Midweek games in the sun at the start of the season. What's not to like? Some really interesting match up's tonight. My lot are away to Blairgowrie and whilst I'd expect them to win, Blair can be a stuffy team to break down, especially at Davie Park. Scone are up at Brechin Vics and if they are still having covid problems then it will be a home win. Really good win for the Vics at Violet on Saturday. East Craigie's home game with Carnoustie has been switched to Laing Park. Is there work getting done at Craigie Park? Their home game with Tayport on Saturday has been switched as well. Anyway, I'm going for a narrow win for the Gowfers. Violet go to North End, both coming off the back of opening day defeats. I think the home side might just shade it. Do North End still have the chaps from Still Game commentating on their games? If you've never heard them, look them up on You Tube. Very entertaining. Coupar Angus lost by just one goal to Letham on Saturday.  They are away to the league's other new side, Dundee St James. This will be another close one. I'm going for one goal win for St James. Tayport are up at Forfar Utd who I thought might have given Carnoustie a tougher game at the weekend. I'm edging towards a one goal win for Tayport but a draw wouldn't surprise me. Kirrie are at home to Arbroath Vics, two more teams who lost on the opening day. I think a score draw could be in the offing here. Letham entertain FWE hoping to build on their win against Coupar Angus. I'm going for FWE purely for the reason that I know nothing about Letham and a one goal win over Couper Angus doesn't fill me with confidence for them. Finally Harp, the double figures superstars from Saturday, are at home to Downfield who, if this league was covered by the red tops, would have their badge torn in half before the start of the season. Have Downfield got a new boss yet? I still think they are good enough to get at least a draw in this one. McBookies are covering the league again, so get your accumulators on and go for the opposite of what I've said. Enjoy the game if you're heading out tonight.

1-0 Broughty tonight up at Blairgowrie. Haven't had any feedback yet but as predicted looked like a tough game up there. If we want to be there or thereabouts, these are the games we've got to grind out. Kirrie beat Arbroath Vics 4-3. Cheers guys, your inability to draw tonight cost me £126.

21/07/21

Blairgowrie 0 Broughty 1

Brechin Vics 3 Scone 1

Carnoustie 5 East Craigie 2

North End 3 Violet 1

Dundee St James 6 Coupar Angus 0

Forfar Utd 1 Tayport 1

Kirrie 4 Arbroath Vics 3

Letham 1 FWE 1

Harp 2 Downfield 1

11 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Midweek games in the sun at the start of the season. What's not to like? Some really interesting match up's tonight. My lot are away to Blairgowrie and whilst I'd expect them to win, Blair can be a stuffy team to break down, especially at Davie Park. Scone are up at Brechin Vics and if they are still having covid problems then it will be a home win. Really good win for the Vics at Violet on Saturday. East Craigie's home game with Carnoustie has been switched to Laing Park. Is there work getting done at Craigie Park? Their home game with Tayport on Saturday has been switched as well. Anyway, I'm going for a narrow win for the Gowfers. Violet go to North End, both coming off the back of opening day defeats. I think the home side might just shade it. Do North End still have the chaps from Still Game commentating on their games? If you've never heard them, look them up on You Tube. Very entertaining. Coupar Angus lost by just one goal to Letham on Saturday.  They are away to the league's other new side, Dundee St James. This will be another close one. I'm going for one goal win for St James. Tayport are up at Forfar Utd who I thought might have given Carnoustie a tougher game at the weekend. I'm edging towards a one goal win for Tayport but a draw wouldn't surprise me. Kirrie are at home to Arbroath Vics, two more teams who lost on the opening day. I think a score draw could be in the offing here. Letham entertain FWE hoping to build on their win against Coupar Angus. I'm going for FWE purely for the reason that I know nothing about Letham and a one goal win over Couper Angus doesn't fill me with confidence for them. Finally Harp, the double figures superstars from Saturday, are at home to Downfield who, if this league was covered by the red tops, would have their badge torn in half before the start of the season. Have Downfield got a new boss yet? I still think they are good enough to get at least a draw in this one. McBookies are covering the league again, so get your accumulators on and go for the opposite of what I've said. Enjoy the game if you're heading out tonight.

I drove past East Craigies park on the way to the St James game and just looking through the gate it appeared that the park had been dug up in places. Drainage work perhaps?

St James 6 Coupar Angus 0

It’s going to be a long season for Coupar Angus having lost to both the new teams in the league. St James worthy of their win although they are no great shakes. But then it is their first season.

Decent park. A bugger to find though.

2 hours ago, patriot1 said:

Decent park. A bugger to find though.

Had to look up Fairfield Park on a map. Is Fairfield Park a renamed Midmill Park where Elmwood used to play back in the late 60’s /early 70’s?

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's what a poster on NLM was saying recently:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/possible-new-dundee-junior-senior-team.4008/

Think it was St Joseph's ground and Elmwood would maybe just have been there on a groundshare similar to later with East Craigie?

This is correct. Can't remember Elmwood having a permanent ground in my time.

The Joeys were the original Marrs success story spending a shit load of money on nothing before leaving the club to collapse in their wake when they bought Dundee.

There was chat at the time of a Marrs led St Joseph's applying to the SFL. 

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here, Lochee Harp invited Menzieshill to merge after their ERJFA membership was rejected. Think it’s only Jay Smart (as co-manager) and a couple of committee that remain from last season at Harp.