Midlands League

Marten

I've been to Lochee United v St. James tonight, 4-1 win. Decent run-out, due to Covid this was only the second PSF. It was meant to be against Scone Thistle but they had to cancel on short notice. Thankfully St. James were able to play as the lads clearly desperately needed game time. It was difficult to draw any conclusions from the game due to that & 8 players still missing, but I was most impressed with George Johnston, a 19 year old lad who clearly showed he has quite some talent. He scored the last goal with a wonderful long-range volley. Definitely positives to take from the game. There should be a bigger squad available on Saturday vs. St. Anthony's, who should provide a tougher test.

12 hours ago, Marten said:

I've been to Lochee United v St. James tonight, 4-1 win. Decent run-out, due to Covid this was only the second PSF. It was meant to be against Scone Thistle but they had to cancel on short notice. Thankfully St. James were able to play as the lads clearly desperately needed game time. It was difficult to draw any conclusions from the game due to that & 8 players still missing, but I was most impressed with George Johnston, a 19 year old lad who clearly showed he has quite some talent. He scored the last goal with a wonderful long-range volley. Definitely positives to take from the game. There should be a bigger squad available on Saturday vs. St. Anthony's, who should provide a tougher test.

George made his debut for Dundee Under 20s when he was 15. Surprised they let him go. He's an absolute wizard. Must have been down to his size, though plenty of wee guys have made it professionally. Not the first wonder goal I've seen him score for Lochee.

Health issues are stopping me from getting to the games at the moment but I'm getting kept up to date on how pre season is going for Broughty. Half a team out last night due to isolation issues but still gave Peterhead a tough test at Whitton Park. Last minute winner gave Peterhead a 4-3 win. Couple from Paul Sludden and one from Brad Smith. Kennoway Star Hearts at home on Saturday.

Seemingly there's talks going on between the North & Midlands about a unified division at tier 6. Any of you ken much about it at all?

As a side note iirc the North & Tayside junior leagues were planned at one point to merge during the SJFA region reconstruction of the early 00's.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Seemingly there's talks going on between the North & Midlands about a unified division at tier 6. Any of you ken much about it at all?

As a side note iirc the North & Tayside junior leagues were planned at one point to merge during the SJFA region reconstruction of the early 00's.

The only murmurings I've heard about that have come from the Midlands, and I think it's way to early to think about. They've only just managed to cobble together a pyramid structure, and that would massively imbalance tier 6, with the NCL's role being marginalised. 

We beat St. Anthony's 2-0, good game and a well deserved win. Dundee at home for us on Wednesday, but I'm also looking forward to our first league game of the season. We're against Blairgowrie.

Forfar West End 2 Montrose Roselea 3.

Entertaining game for the neutral (me and a pal). West End's defence was badly caught out for two of the goals, there was a penalty for the home side and a few tackles were flying in during the first half resulting in a booking during a friendly for a player!

Tayport 4 St Andrews 0

Quite promising looking young squad at Tayport.  If the Spanish lad Sam Sanchez is not snapped up by a senior team I would be astounded.
St Andrews in for a long season if that is all they have.

Edited by superbigal

18 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Really? What happened?

Returned to playing, not sure for whom just yet. I knew he was too young and healthy to be going into coaching, and so it proved.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Returned to playing, not sure for whom just yet. Knew he was too young and healthy to be going into coaching, and so it proved.

So what was the point in building a squad then?

It's like the opposite of Kenny Miller at Livi