Midlands League

Marten

The draw for the North & Tayside cup has also been made now. Dundee St. James & Letham are in there, Menzieshill are not. So clearly Letham are the 19th team. They will have applied after having been knocked back by the EOS.

I know I have moaned about this before but the superfluous Dundee annoys me more than it should.  Its just East Craigie not Dundee East Craigie. I see the ridiculous Dundee Downfield has been dropped. 

I don't know if St James are changing now they are in but the ammy team was just called St James.

Letham being in there is definitely the big story. Shows there is plenty of flexibility on boundaries if a Perth team can still get in at this point. Suspect many/most EoS clubs would not be heartbroken from an away travel standpoint if Luncarty, Jeanfield Swifts and Kinnoull from the immediate Perth area in particular and possibly even more distant Fife clubs such as Newburgh and St Andrews did a flit as well and the door is maybe being left open for that sort of thing to happen subject to the agreement of all parties down the road. Looks like Menzieshill got knocked back for not having a ground of their own unlike Letham and St James.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 23/06/2021 at 23:42, Marten said:

Midland League & Grampian League will stay under the SJFA. Meaning that the SFA just have to rubber stamp the play-off arrangement as the leagues already existed, they are only being renamed....

Are you hearing this from people in the loop? To clarify slightly I wasn't suggesting they would no longer be part of the SJFA. I was only suggesting that there might have to be a new senior grade affiliation in addition to being part of the SJFA similar to what could have happened with the WoS if that league took up the SJFA blazer positions that are potentially open to them.* Not that important as either way I'm sure the rubber stamp is a racing certainty ar this point.

Edit: turns out they actually did take them up given Gordon Ronney and Bobby Macnamara are listed as being on the SJFA's Management Committee for 2020-21:

https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/scottish-junior-fa/structure/

Edited by LongTimeLurker

That has been obvious for weeks now and is not what is being discussed, which is what the SFA have to actively apply a rubberstamp to for the Midland League to enter the pyramid at tier 6. Only the HL playoff rules or the WoS style formation of a new league in senior grade terms that happens to be administered by what remains of the ERSJFA?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Are you hearing this from people in the loop? To clarify slightly I wasn't suggesting they would no longer be part of the SJFA. I was only suggesting that there might have to be a new senior grade affiliation in addition to being part of the SJFA similar to what could have happened with the WoS if that league took up the SJFA blazer positions that are potentially open to them. Not that important as either way I'm sure the rubber stamp is a racing certainty ar this point.

Yes, I am indeed. The SJFA is now run by very different people than 2 years ago as well. The new SJFA president is Dundee based for example. It makes sense obviously now if the main people running the organisation are Tayside/Grampian based.

I can't say at this moment whether the current structure is just seen as transitional to 2 separate SFA-affiliated leagues on the longer term or it's meant to stay like this, but time will tell I suppose.

From Today's Inverness Courier:

www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/relegation-dawns-for-highland-league-clubs-as-tier-six-set-f-242664/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Relegation dawns for Highland League clubs as tier six north set for next season

By Alasdair Fraser 

Published: 08:00, 25 June 2021
RELEGATION play-offs will be introduced in the Highland League for the first time next season after talks with three ‘tier six north’ associations concluded successfully.

The historic change, now set to be officially ratified by the SFA’s pyramid working group, will open the dreaded trapdoor to Highland clubs for the first time in the league’s 128-year existence.

The plan was unveiled in April this year, but the HFL has since presided over intensive talks to reach agreement with the North Caledonian FA and the Scottish Junior Football Association’s north and east regions.

The green light means title-winning clubs from the North Caledonian League, the North Junior Super League and the Midlands League – covering Tayside outfits – will play off next season for the right to face the bottom HFL side.

Even if successful, only clubs able to fulfil full SFA licensing and membership requirements would be permitted to make the step up into the HFL. Currently, only Golspie Sutherland and Banks O’Dee satisfy that criteria.

Confirming that talks had finally concluded, HFL secretary Rod Houston said: “It is all sorted and ready to go. The three tier six groups are all on board and the pyramid working group is now due to meet in the near future and that will put the final seal on it, but it’s all done. It was just a case of making sure we had the regulatory framework in place. It was all very straightforward.

“It creates a natural progression from tier six to five, although it is quite a big jump in that you have to become a licensed club.

“That’s a condition of membership of the Highland League. That takes a lot of work, but if a club has ambitions they now have an avenue through which to realise those ambitions. It is about providing opportunity.”

Full licensing covers ground facilities, coaching qualifications, player considerations and other matters of club governance.

In the Lowland League area, there is already a clear pathway upwards from tier eight.

The inclusion of the North Super League – featuring mostly Aberdeenshire juniors and Nairn St Ninian – creates a north pathway from tier eight.

Houston felt there was broad acceptance within HFL circles that change was necessary adding: “I’m sure clubs traditionally at the lower end of the league will carry some concerns, but they have a playing opportunity to deal with it. There is no automatic relegation.”

Good article, except the WoSFL goes down to tier 10 (the new WoSFL Division 4 starting in season 2021-22).

This coming season's conferences will form tier 7 (Division 1), tier 8 (Division 2) and tier 9 (Division 3) for season 2022-23.

29 minutes ago, Dev said:

...Confirming that talks had finally concluded, HFL secretary Rod Houston said: “It is all sorted and ready to go. The three tier six groups are all on board and the pyramid working group is now due to meet in the near future and that will put the final seal on it, ...

That's consistent with it only being the playoff rules that need to be signed off on by representatives of the SFA board.

4 hours ago, superbigal said:

I wonder when someone will move the juniors into the SPFL section of PandB ?

Might not go down well with the juniors are dead zealots but definitely should happen now maybe with the NCL tacked on so it can cater to all three north feeders.

22 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Good article, except the WoSFL goes down to tier 10 (the new WoSFL Division 4 starting in season 2021-22).

This coming season's conferences will form tier 7 (Division 1), tier 8 (Division 2) and tier 9 (Division 3) for season 2022-23.

But for this season it only goes down to tier 8 as the Conferences run in parallel at tier 7. ;)