Midlands League

Marten

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Coupar Angus 7 years from Champions League. What a time to be alive 

They might have to improve a wee bit on the pitch too. The last time I saw them play at home they lost 0-14 to Luncarty.

What's the league plans in regards to cups? I assume the interegional is being kept then East of Scotland Cup get's re-branded. Safe to assume also the North Challenge Cup isn't being revived anytime soon as an inter-league cup between al the HL territory teams.

Edited by GNU_Linux

There appear to be intentions of the WOSFL forming a Development Division in their bottom tier if they have enough applicants. What a way to start if the ML invited Amateur and Youth teams to form a Second Division right at the outset. It would give the embryonic league a much needed structure and a mechanism for encouraging progressive clubs to develop.

There is plenty of time at the moment for Amateur and Youth sides to consider such a proposal. Just needs someone to actively promote the concept.

18 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

What's the league plans in regards to cups? I assume the interegional is being kept then East of Scotland Cup get's re-branded. Safe to assume also the North Challenge Cup isn't being revived anytime soon as an inter-league cup between al the HL territory teams.

Minimum for right now would appear to be what would essentially be a rebranded league cup, north & Tayside inter-regional, and Junior Cup. Next year I'm sure there will be sombody licenced. 

That's quite a bit to be dealing with for now I imagine. 

23 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

HL teams seem to be quite happy with. HL cup and Scottish cup.

An all in North cup probably only adds one round or you could have preliminary rounds with Tier 6 teams.

I suppose it's one "weakness" of not having one governing body for a region but maybe that will come in time with movement between league.

HL teams with the best Tayside Teams and BoD is a decent competition 

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

HL teams seem to be quite happy with. HL cup and Scottish cup.

There's also the Aberdeenshire Cup/Shield and North of Scotland Cup.

Edited by Cyclizine

54 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

There appear to be intentions of the WOSFL forming a Development Division in their bottom tier if they have enough applicants. What a way to start if the ML invited Amateur and Youth teams to form a Second Division right at the outset. It would give the embryonic league a much needed structure and a mechanism for encouraging progressive clubs to develop.

There is plenty of time at the moment for Amateur and Youth sides to consider such a proposal. Just needs someone to actively promote the concept.

Perhaps they could have an agreement with the Midland Amateur League to act as the feeder league?

Information  provided to Tayside teams was that at the conclusion of season 21/22 the top 6 clubs along with the top 6 from the North juniors would come together to form a Premier/superleague at tier 6 seeing those remaining teams become a 7th tier. 

Tayport have tweeted that they have withdrawn their application to join the EoS.

Club Statement As a club, Tayport are pleased and excited with the news emanating from the SJFA and ERSJFA with regards to the Highland League. To this end we have withdrawn our application to join the East of Scotland.

40 minutes ago, JustBecause said:

Information  provided to Tayside teams was that at the conclusion of season 21/22 the top 6 clubs along with the top 6 from the North juniors would come together to form a Premier/superleague at tier 6 seeing those remaining teams become a 7th tier. 

From what I remember and it's been a while that would take things back to what was initially supposed to be the format of the north superleague before it got rejigged so Tayside was in with the old East and Fife regions instead.

1 hour ago, JustBecause said:

I've heard that as well, but no decisions have been taken on that AFAIK. They first want pyramid entry to be official and then they'll talk about things like this, which is the right order imo.

1 hour ago, JustBecause said:

Makes sense as this was likely going to lead to a merger of sorts anyway. Didn't think it would happen quite so quick though.

5 minutes ago, Marten said:

I've heard that as well, but no decisions have been taken on that AFAIK. They first want pyramid entry to be official and then they'll talk about things like this, which is the right order imo.

A 6-12 split (or whatever it is once amateur clubs are factored in and EoS applications are resolved) should create viable numbers for a second tier in the Dundee area for clubs that are used to only playing in the Dundee area and end the severe mismatches.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

A 6-12 split (or whatever it is once amateur clubs are factored in and EoS applications are resolved) should create viable numbers for a second tier in the Dundee area for clubs that are used to only playing in the Dundee area and end the severe mismatches.

Agreed and I suppose on the longer term a tier 7 league might make it easier for clubs to move up from the Midland or Pertshire AFA leagues.

50 minutes ago, Marten said:

Agreed and I suppose on the longer term a tier 7 league might make it easier for clubs to move up from the Midland or Pertshire AFA leagues.

Do you think there are teams who would/could even think about it?

There is a pretty sharp drop off around Tayside between Junior teams with their own enclosed ground, social club's and committees and lads playing in the park which dominate the MAFA.

A team playing out of Fairfield, if thats Fibntry/ St James are the obvious one to step up but thats about it. 

The gulf between Invergowrie, Menzieshill, Morgan, Fireys etc and even Violet and Harp seems huge 

Do you think there are teams who would/could even think about it?
 There is a pretty sharp drop off around Tayside between Junior teams with their own enclosed ground, social club's and committees and lads playing in the park which dominate the MAFA.
A team playing out of Fairfield, if thats Fibntry/ St James are the obvious one to step up but thats about it. 
The gulf between Invergowrie, Menzieshill, Morgan, Fireys etc and even Violet and Harp seems huge 
Short term, not in Dundee I think. Maybe a few Perthshire ones. Breadalbane springs to mind. Their current ground is better than some junior grounds I've seen. Long term, who knows?