Midlands League

Marten

I heard through the grapevine here in Dundee that this morning's PWG was really positive and it will shortly be confirmed that there will be 3 leagues feeding into the Highland League from 2021/22: North Caledonian League, North Juniors & Midland League. The Midland League will consist of all current ERJFA North clubs, so including Scone Thistle, Tayport and Forfar West End. Also it looks likely that one amateur side from Dundee will join (Dundee St James were rumoured in another thread, to play out of Fairfield Park), bringing the league up to 18.

I won't take things fully for granted until they are confirmed, but this sounds really positive. I'd be delighted if this indeed goes ahead.

Edited by Marten

Hopefully the whole pyramid saga is reaching its end game now. Will be interesting to see what Montrose Roselea do in the years ahead, if this is what unfolds. Think it's critical that a Midland League can have at least 20 clubs so a two division format becomes sensible.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hopefully the whole pyramid saga is reaching its end game now. Will be interesting to see what Montrose Roselea do in the years ahead, if this is what unfolds. Think it's critical that a Midland League can have at least 20 clubs so a two division format becomes sensible.

Only two new clubs compared to the (expected) initial 18 will be needed for that (or 3 if there is promotion of a Tayside club in 2022). Montrose Roselea could be one of them and maybe some amateurs might get interested if there is a route into the pyramid (Breadalbane?). Even a side like Luncarty might fancy shorter travel in the Midland League.

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

Only two new clubs compared to the (expected) initial 18 will be needed for that (or 3 if there is promotion of a Tayside club in 2022). Montrose Roselea could be one of them and maybe some amateurs might get interested if there is a route into the pyramid (Breadalbane?). Even a side like Luncarty might fancy shorter travel in the Midland League.

As tempting as it might be to go with 2 Divisions. It's not something I would rush into. Chances are the Midland League will lose champion clubs with no one coming back down for quite a while. 20 becomes 19 becomes 18.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

As tempting as it might be to go with 2 Divisions. It's not something I would rush into. Chances are the Midland League will lose champion clubs with no one coming back down for quite a while. 20 becomes 19 becomes 18.

True, I can't see many clubs in the NCL or NRJFA going up to the HL. Only Banks O'Dee and Golspie Sutherland are licensed and I can't see many following any time soon. There is probably more potential for Tayside clubs to get licensed, Broughty is probably the closest to licensing. Lochee United & Tayport are working on it already, so that's already 3 clubs that can get promoted from the ML within the next few years and they surely won't be the only ones who want to go for licensing in Tayside. And obviously, unless any promoted ML club gets relegated back down (or Brechin completely collapse), there won't be relegation from the HL to the ML.

18 minutes ago, Marten said:

True, I can't see many clubs in the NCL or NRJFA going up to the HL. Only Banks O'Dee and Golspie Sutherland are licensed and I can't see many following any time soon. There is probably more potential for Tayside clubs to get licensed, Broughty is probably the closest to licensing. Lochee United & Tayport are working on it already, so that's already 3 clubs that can get promoted from the ML within the next few years and they surely won't be the only ones who want to go for licensing in Tayside. And obviously, unless any promoted ML club gets relegated back down (or Brechin completely collapse), there won't be relegation from the HL to the ML.

In both the Lowland and Highland I don't see the 3 feeder system lasting. Once more clubs get licenced there will be a further evolution. The important thing is that all the ingredients look to have been brought together.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

In both the Lowland and Highland I don't see the 3 feeder system lasting. Once more clubs get licenced there will be a further evolution. The important thing is that all the ingredients look to have been brought together.

Yep, I think you're right. Main thing is that from next season all clubs that were junior, NCL & senior non-league will all be in the pyramid, together with a bunch of amateurs and youth/new clubs. That's already quite something, who would honestly have expected that a few years ago? The pyramid will undoubtedly further evolve over time, but changes will be easier when they are already all in there.

Just now, Marten said:

Yep, I think you're right. Main thing is that from next season all clubs that were junior, NCL & senior non-league will all be in the pyramid, together with a bunch of amateurs and youth/new clubs. That's already quite something, who would honestly have expected that a few years ago? The pyramid will undoubtedly further evolve over time, but changes will be easier when they are already all in there.

Fair fucks to welfare football looking like outliving junior football.

Also have you heard if the NRJFA & Tayside clubs are looking to retain SJFA membership or not?

Just now, GNU_Linux said:

Fair fucks to welfare football looking like outliving junior football.

Also have you heard if the NRJFA & Tayside clubs are looking to retain SJFA membership or not?

I haven't heard about SJFA membership so I couldn't answer that question either way. Also I don't know if the NRJFA will re-form into a standalone league similar to the Midland League or continue as the NRJFA, time will tell I suppose.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

I heard through the grapevine here in Dundee that this morning's PWG was really positive and it will shortly be confirmed that there will be 3 leagues feeding into the Highland League from 2021/22: North Caledonian League, North Juniors & Midland League.

This mirrors what I've heard (unofficially) too.

I won't take things fully for granted until they are confirmed, but this sounds really positive. I'd be delighted if this indeed goes ahead.

Fingers crossed there'll shortly be a route into the pyramid for Tayside.

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

This mirrors what I've heard (unofficially) too.

Fingers crossed there'll shortly be a route into the pyramid for Tayside.

I'd love to experience the HL with Lochee United, would definitely look forward to away games.

4 hours ago, Marten said:

I heard through the grapevine here in Dundee that this morning's PWG was really positive and it will shortly be confirmed that there will be 3 leagues feeding into the Highland League from 2021/22: North Caledonian League, North Juniors & Midland League. The Midland League will consist of all current ERJFA North clubs, so including Scone Thistle, Tayport and Forfar West End. Also it looks likely that one amateur side from Dundee will join (Dundee St James were rumoured in another thread, to play out of Fairfield Park), bringing the league up to 18.

Fantastic news, very excited by this prospect. Been so eager to see Dundee teams enter the pyramid, we need a strong Downfield in the Pyramid!

2 hours ago, Marten said:

I'd love to experience the HL with Lochee United, would definitely look forward to away games.

Certainly wouldn't struggle for away days, might even come on one or two myself if it happened.

8 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

...., we need a strong Downfield in the Pyramid!

Have I been reading posts correctly that they are now going to be called Kirkton?

Think if Aberdeen and Dundee junior clubs embrace the concept of licensing and progression the HL could look very different in 20 years time from what it does now. There's a lot of low hanging fruit to replace in pro/rel terms. 

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Certainly wouldn't struggle for away days, might even come on one or two myself if it happened.

That's a deal, if we do get up at the first attempt, I'll see you in Wick in the 2022/23 season. ;) 

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Have I been reading posts correctly that they are now going to be called Kirkton?

Think if Aberdeen and Dundee junior clubs embrace the concept of licensing and progression the HL could look very different in 20 years time from what it does now. There's a lot of low hanging fruit to replace in pro/rel terms. 

I dont think so. Kirkton ammies management to take them over but Downfield name staying and Kirkton AFC continuing in MAFA but a pathway between the clubs 

HL fan here but this sounds very promising, this will greatly strengthen the HL in years to come and the league needs a few fresh faces as at the moment there is a huge gulf in standard from top to bottom.

The bigger Tayside clubs & Banks o Dee will no doubt be in the mix for promotion this time next year, NCL wise Golspie are currently the only team that meet the criteria in terms of SFA membership, although a few murmurs Invergordon (who are sponsored by Roy Macgregor's company) are going to be pushing for this also and will be developing their facilities accordingly, watch this space with regards to them.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the progression of the pyramid since it started taking off and it is a joy to see how far it has come. Finally, finally, we will have a fully functioning Scottish pyramid ecosystem. This is brilliant for the game and long overdue. I predict that the SPFL, certainly at League 2 level, is going to look very different in several years time as teams find their natural level. There are going to be new away days for the fans, new experiences, new towns and villages to see. It could spark a whole new interest in the Scottish game, help retain supporters and attract new ones. I also think it will be good for the quality of the game, more Scottish players playing at higher, more competitive level. Then there is the mouth watering prospect of new Scottish Cup entries, which for folk like me who support a Premiership club throws up the opportunity of a visiting a new place and experiencing a new away day.

Now what must happen is that at least one automatic relegation spot is introduced to league 2. The current play-off routine is ridiculous and deliberately presents far too many hurdles for lower league sides. There are folk of an older generation who have weird views about this, claiming it would be “sad” for League 2 to lose one of its traditional clubs. This is of course a ridiculous argument. It’s time to inject life into league 2. If I had it my way, I would have two teams go down and the winners of the Highland & Lowland Leagues automatically promoted. Either that or one down from L2, winner of HL & LL play off goes up, second bottom league 2 enters play-off with HL & LL loser.

Everyone will have their own ideas but the point is there has to be a automatic relegation spot and any complaints against this should be thrown into the bin where they belong.

Anyway, here’s hoping the Midland League rumours are true. Mon the pyramid.