Midlands League

Marten

On 31/03/2021 at 21:18, JustBecause said:

Four clubs from Tayside have submitted applications to the EOS so apparently not all fully supporting what's on offer or possibly don't believe that those in charge will manage to get the Midlands league finalised.

Assuming one of the 4 were Tayport. Any news on when decisions on the other 3 will be made? 

3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Assuming one of the 4 were Tayport. Any news on when decisions on the other 3 will be made? 

I'm hearing the other 3 will see their applications through. Apparently an increase in clubs from the North not interested in having to travel to Tayside every other week along with Tayside clubs not being confident in the juniors ability to deliver on the Midlands talk despite what one club in particular would have everyone believe!

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

There won't be any Tayside defections to the EOS now as the ML is going to happen for next season.

This. There's no insurance by seeing the application through as EoS will just direct them north. Whether certain clubs don't think it can be done is neither here nor there.

The scare stories about clubs not wanting to come South is a lot of shite too. Even if it were true they are part of a national pyramid and you can't have 2 x Tier 5s. One covering a strip of coastline around the Moray Forth and one for the rest of the country.

It's a ludicrous story 

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

This. There's no insurance by seeing the application through as EoS will just direct them north. Whether certain clubs don't think it can be done is neither here nor there.

The scare stories about clubs not wanting to come South is a lot of shite too. Even if it were true they are part of a national pyramid and you can't have 2 x Tier 5s. One covering a strip of coastline around the Moray Forth and one for the rest of the country.

It's a ludicrous story 

Indeed, the EOS will know very well where the ML negotiations stand and I've been reliably informed it's pretty much sorted and they just need to go through the formalities. They won't entertain any Tayside applications at this stage for that reason. Plus from what I understand, various EOS clubs (including the Borders clubs) don't even want Tayside in there.

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's a ludicrous story 

So if there is no insurance in it and I've no doubt these clubs know only full well how their applications will be received then why continue to press on? Obviously see something that the others are failing or refusing to see.

12 minutes ago, JustBecause said:

So if there is no insurance in it and I've no doubt these clubs know only full well how their applications will be received then why continue to press on? Obviously see something that the others are failing or refusing to see.

I dont know. You are the one hearing things. Why dont you ask?

1 minute ago, Marten said:

Work ongoing at Lochee United. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. 

Will be interesting to see if the NCL or ML manage to get a Scottish Cup place for their winners, if not then it'll make the the off-field work to get a licence all the more important.

Will be interesting to see if the NCL or ML manage to get a Scottish Cup place for their winners, if not then it'll make the the off-field work to get a licence all the more important.
All the tier 6 LL area champions get it, so it's only fair enough if the HL area champions get it as well.

We will undoubtedly go for licensing though.

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

You would like to think that'll be an easy enough thing to negotiate, since for the Midlands it's basically a continuation of the East Region spot.

I can only see it being a doubt if the SFA raise the issue of removing all qualifiers again. Since that was rumoured ahead of the 2020 AGM before COVID came along.

13 minutes ago, Marten said:

All the tier 6 LL area champions get it, so it's only fair enough if the HL area champions get it as well.

We will undoubtedly go for licensing though.

Of course it would be fair if all tier 6 champions got it but this is the SFA we're talking about. We don't even know if it's confirmed that the WOS are getting it, plus with almost the entire EOS Premier licensed and the SOS likely to be won by a licensed club or Stranraer reserves, they could just turn round and say no tier 6 league champion gets a place in the cup.

Edited by Ginaro

22 minutes ago, Marten said:

Work ongoing at Lochee United. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Seen Downfield have added new seating in the Eric Clark Stand and are working on the pitch. Here's hoping the new management have lofty aspirations, would love to see a push towards licensing and eventually giving a decent challenge to getting promoted.

You would like to think that'll be an easy enough thing to negotiate, since for the Midlands it's basically a continuation of the East Region spot.
I can only see it being a doubt if the SFA raise the issue of removing all qualifiers again. Since that was rumoured ahead of the 2020 AGM before COVID came along.

If they stick with this season's Scottish Cup format, which I think they should, then it frees up a lot more space in the Preliminary Rounds compared to the previous format.

13 hours ago, JustBecause said:

I'd be somewhat wary of what happens at a Highland League AGM if relegation of existing members is involved in a proposal. Tayside has quite a few relatively strong clubs (as measured against the likes of Strathspey Thistle and Lossiemouth) that are likely to actually go for it on licensing, while it was not clear there would be any actual need for relegation most years with only the NCL and north region involved.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

14 hours ago, JustBecause said:

No applications from ML area clubs will be forwarded to the EoS SGM. Rejected.

49 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

No applications from ML area clubs will be forwarded to the EoS SGM. Rejected.

Thanks for all your feedback on the various threads. Has the Tay boundary been ratified or redefined or left as a rather nebulous void for further discussion/ division?

It's great to see these positive developments and, at last, the incorporation of the Tayside region into the pyramid.

I'd imagine the likes of Lochee United, Broughty, Tayport will be at tier 5 within a decade and fundamentally change the nature and character of the HL.

Not sure the Violets Downfields and North Ends of this world will have the capacity to have a similar go, but you never know. For the vast majority of the clubs I don't imagine too much will feel different.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'd be somewhat wary of what happens at a Highland League AGM if relegation of existing members is involved in a proposal. Tayside has quite a few relatively strong clubs (as measured against the likes of Strathspey Thistle and Lossiemouth) that are likely to actually go for it on licensing, while it was not clear there would be any actual need for relegation most years with only the NCL and north region involved.

If the Highland League wants to stay part of the pyramid and the clubs want to keep their licenses then they're not really going to have any choice.

I don't doubt it will get sorted eventually if as appears to be the case a majority of east region north clubs are now firmly on board with being a north feeder and the pressure from Brechin City on the Club 42 boundary isn't getting anywhere but whether it happens smoothly at the first time of asking remains to be seen.