Marten

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Coupar Angus 7 years from Champions League. What a time to be alive 

Or maybe less.

2021-22 Get licensed

2022-23 Win Scottish Cup

2023-24 Win Europa League

2024-25 Play in Champions League

We now need 3 pages of debate about where they would play their home CL matches. 

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Complete the pattern: Glasgow University, Edinburgh University, Aberdeen University...

Dundee Uni's playing fields at the Airport would be good enough for Tier 6. There's one enclosed grass pitch as well as a 3G cage that has floodlights.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Or maybe less.

2021-22 Get licensed

2022-23 Win Scottish Cup

2023-24 Win Europa League

2024-25 Play in Champions League

We now need 3 pages of debate about where they would play their home CL matches. 

I'm looking forward to playing that on Pyramid Mod for FM 22.

From Fitba North:

http://fitbanorth.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8773

Montrose Roselea will reevaulate their position and its something that we have had to do several times over the last decade. We are supporters of the Pyramid and glad to see that it is now taking shape (In a way which I have predicted would happen through evolution rather than by being directed, which has been messy to say the least). We have no inentions of joining Highland League as it stands mainly due to travel and the fact that there would be two teams in a town competing for money from the same well but you never say never. There could be a temptation to rejoin the Tayside Midland League for travel reasons if accepted back in however there is not much gain in travel between Dundee & Aberdeen bar the Angus teams to play. Roselea have also settled in the North Region and happy with their lot at the moment however as mentioned elsewhere here the decision may be taken out of hands due to Angus DD postcode. If that is what happens then you just accept it and get on with it.

There is a massive opportunity here for people to get around the table and take the bull by the horns. Personal ideas are an all in North of Scotland Cup with the Tier 6 teams playing a couple of rounds before joining in against seeded Highland League teams and perhaps a split Highland League North and South with 14-16 teams each which would reduce travel. Two League winners would play off to then take part in the PlayOff with Lowland League. The South League would be bolstered mainly by Tayside Teams. and would make the Superleagues a thing of the past with the remaining regional Junior teams having something to compete for as a true Pyramid. I know that it could be argued that this would dilute the current Highland League and weaken it. These are only personal ideas so please go easy!!

If all this goes ahead it would be nice for the first time in living history not to be on the edge of a Region having been so in both the Tayside, East and North Regions so we are delighted with the moves which are long over due and it could have been argued should possibly have come in 20 years ago

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

From Fitba North:

http://fitbanorth.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8773

Montrose Roselea will reevaulate their position and its something that we have had to do several times over the last decade. We are supporters of the Pyramid and glad to see that it is now taking shape (In a way which I have predicted would happen through evolution rather than by being directed, which has been messy to say the least). We have no inentions of joining Highland League as it stands mainly due to travel and the fact that there would be two teams in a town competing for money from the same well but you never say never. There could be a temptation to rejoin the Tayside Midland League for travel reasons if accepted back in however there is not much gain in travel between Dundee & Aberdeen bar the Angus teams to play. Roselea have also settled in the North Region and happy with their lot at the moment however as mentioned elsewhere here the decision may be taken out of hands due to Angus DD postcode. If that is what happens then you just accept it and get on with it.

There is a massive opportunity here for people to get around the table and take the bull by the horns. Personal ideas are an all in North of Scotland Cup with the Tier 6 teams playing a couple of rounds before joining in against seeded Highland League teams and perhaps a split Highland League North and South with 14-16 teams each which would reduce travel. Two League winners would play off to then take part in the PlayOff with Lowland League. The South League would be bolstered mainly by Tayside Teams. and would make the Superleagues a thing of the past with the remaining regional Junior teams having something to compete for as a true Pyramid. I know that it could be argued that this would dilute the current Highland League and weaken it. These are only personal ideas so please go easy!!

If all this goes ahead it would be nice for the first time in living history not to be on the edge of a Region having been so in both the Tayside, East and North Regions so we are delighted with the moves which are long over due and it could have been argued should possibly have come in 20 years ago

There is no way Highland League will be split at Tier 5.  They should combine The Midland League with North League  for a super league at tier 6 with north Caledonian League maybe.

20 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

There is no way Highland League will be split at Tier 5.  They should combine The Midland League with North League  for a super league at tier 6 with north Caledonian League maybe.

Yes, I haven't heard anything about that, that's not going to happen.

The Roselea scenario outlined above is a non-starter but relegation into the NCL would be a very hard landing for one of the traditional HL clubs like Lossiemouth so I wouldn't be surprised if a split into two Highland League divisions gets talked about again so that tier 6 is an HL second division with the NCL & co bumped down a notch to tier 7. 

If Dundee area clubs are up for the travel involved, the HL catchment could soon have the numbers needed (significantly over 20 clubs as there may be HL members lost to the Club 42 playoff) to be able to do something like that based on licensing. Up to now that always looked a very far off prospect with just the NCL and north region as part of the equation because Golspie and BoD never put an application in after being licensed.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Personally I think they should just play season 2021-22 first as the 3-way split as is, without (m)any teams moving regions and then seeing how it's gone before looking to change anything.

I agree that merging the Midlands and North into a Superduperleague is probably the way to go, but I think a season of "normality is needed first".

Edited by ArabAuslander

Personally I think they should just play season 2021-22 first as the 3-way split as is, without (m)any teams moving regions and then seeing how it's gone before looking to change anything.
I agree that merging the Midlands and North into a Superduperleague is probably the way to go, but I think a season of "normality is needed first".
Walk before you can run. The structure will evolve as time goes on, no need to try and force everything from day one.

3 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:
3 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Walk before you can run. The structure will evolve as time goes on, no need to try and force everything from day one.

AFAIK, that's exactly the plan, they are all still concentrating on getting the proposed system off the ground and fulfilling the formalities. There are other ideas for the future, with this being the main one, but it's not the priority now, first they want to get the current proposal through and once everyone is in the pyramid, it's easier to tweak things to improve the set-up.

They are doing the right thing by trying to make sure that there is a Dundee feeder in at the very outset of the north pyramid so they have a seat at the table over what happens after that. Maybe what's left of the east region finally learned something from Tom Johnston's myopic approach to the pyramid that gave the EoS a veto over how the junior grade would eventually be able to enter in the LL portion of the portion and the last three years of lunatic blazer politics that resulted in. Suspect they just stumbled into it by accident though when they realised that there could soon be no east region left at all after Forfar WE put their EoS application in.

Isn't the proposed title a bit misleading?

I think "Midland" to most people would approximate to the old Central Region - Stirling, Falkirk, etc. The new league is too far north for that. What's wrong with "Tayside League" anyway?

3 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

I think "Midland" to most people would approximate to the old Central Region - Stirling, Falkirk, etc. The new league is too far north for that. What's wrong with "Tayside League" anyway?

The Midlands Amateur Football Association has covered the same area for decades.

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

The name was used in the juniors in the years immediately after the new regions were brought in around 1968 to replace the old county leagues:

Dm1BPqIW0AATMWJ?format=jpg&name=small

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The name was used in the juniors in the years immediately after the new regions were brought in around 1968 to replace the old county leagues:

Dm1BPqIW0AATMWJ?format=jpg&name=small

OK. If the Juniors did it, it must be right.

2 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

If u look at the scottish midland cooperative society is an Edinburgh business

1 minute ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

If u look at the scottish midland cooperative society is an Edinburgh business

When I played Hockey when I was younger, it was the Midlands that all the kids from Dundee, Angus, East Perthshire and North Fife played for. 

Midlands has always been a lesser-used phrase interchangeable with Tayside but usually incorporating NE Fife.