Midlands League

Marten

I'm a bit surprised at Tayport wanting to go into a HL feeder. Even if their rivals will be in it. I just figured trips to Falkirk, Edinburgh and Coldstream would be preferable to Brora, Wick and Fort William if they got promoted. But that's future Tayport's problem. Excellent news.

Absolute fantastic news,as a supporter of an HL club I'd like to welcome all the clubs into the new northern pyramid set up.

Will be sweaty bum time for some us at the bottom of the HL but that is what a pyramid is all about,you go down you can go up,you find your level.

BoD are a stick on to come up at the end of next season,the fight at the bottom of the HL is gonna be something .

After that there will be a lull until other clubs get licensed and are able to push for promotion.

Edited by Whitburn Vale

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/3023221/relegation-play-offs-look-set-to-be-introduced-to-the-highland-league-from-next-season/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Relegation play-offs look set to be introduced to the Highland League next season.

Talks have been ongoing between the Highland League and the Scottish Junior FA to create a formal link between tiers five and six of the Scottish football pyramid for the 2021-22 season.

From next season the team finishing bottom of the Highland League could find themselves in a play-off against the champions of either the North Super League, the East Super League or the North Caledonian League.

Highland League secretary Rod Houston said: “Talks have been going on for some time to extend tier six across the north half of the country.

“The North Caledonian FA have agreed and are ready to roll in August this year.

“The North Region Junior FA are all but there and in recent weeks the East Region Junior FA were in touch with us with regard to their Tayside clubs.

“The talks have been constructive and hopefully we will be able to conclude them soon.

“We just have some heads of agreement to finalise.”

Clubs who would be able to participate in the play-offs to win promotion to the Highland League would have to meet qualifying criteria.

If the proposal is approved, qualifying clubs from tier six would play-off for the right to face the team that finished bottom of the Highland League for the chance to climb the Scottish footballing pyramid.

Houston said: “This would complete an aspiration that the pyramid working group at the Scottish FA have had for a while which is to have complete coverage of the country at tier six.

“There would be a play-off system but for one of the teams in tier six to play in the play-offs they would have to meet the criteria for membership of the Highland League.

“They would have to have a full licence of the Scottish FA and with all that entails.

“At present the only clubs who are members of the Scottish FA are Golspie Sutherland and Banks o’ Dee.

“If they were to win their respective championships they would be play-off candidates.

“It wouldn’t stop clubs developing themselves and their structure to become members of the Scottish FA.

“The whole point is to give clubs who aspire to that the opportunity.”

Scottish Junior FA chief operating officer Alex McDowall said in a statement: “The Scottish Junior FA and East Region SJFA have formally submitted our commitment and agreement to the Highland League board.

“We accept the Highland League’s invitation to create a link between the Midlands League and the Highland League.

“Following an application to the Scottish FA board being ratified at their AGM in June 2021, the aim and expectation would then be for the Midlands League to be established for season 2021-2022 at tier six of the Scottish football pyramid.

“The Scottish Junior FA and East Region SJFA would like to express our sincere gratitude to the Highland League board members and the Scottish FA pyramid working group for their understanding and help on this matter. We look forward to further developing our relationship.”

38 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

....After that there will be a lull until other clubs get licensed and are able to push for promotion.

Tayside junior clubs are no strangers to enclosed grounds with large covered enclosures and devil's illuminations so things might move more quickly than many would assume if the ML unfolds as Marten has described.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Tayside junior clubs are no strangers to enclosed grounds with large covered enclosures and devil's illuminations so things might move more quickly than many would assume if the ML unfolds as Marten has described.

Floodlights will be an issue for a few clubs. Thomson Park doesn't have any neither does the Tayport and the ones at North End aren't really up to Entry Level.

I think Downfield and Broughty Athletic are the only two that have the facilities to get a license straight away. Lochee Harp possibly as well, but not sure about their Dressing Rooms.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'm a bit surprised at Tayport wanting to go into a HL feeder. Even if their rivals will be in it. I just figured trips to Falkirk, Edinburgh and Coldstream would be preferable to Brora, Wick and Fort William if they got promoted. But that's future Tayport's problem. Excellent news.

I'd be surprised if they weren't one of the four teams who have expressed an interest in the EOS tbh. Really exciting developments in Tayside. Finally.

31 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Get inter-tier playoffs in the bin at all levels of the game 

May be the price that had to be paid to get the HL membership to sign off on it. Will be interesting to see how many clubs they plan to operate with in future and how an extra club getting relegated from the SPFL would be handled.

3 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Dyce would be one to keep an eye for licensing in the next twelve months given they have floodlights now or are looking to install them (I forget which).

They aren't up. Last thing I saw on that was a random post on here or FitbaNorth looking for some advice. Not sure how credible the poster was.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They aren't up. Last thing I saw on that was a random post on here or FitbaNorth looking for some advice. Not sure how credible the poster was.

Dyce are definitely installing the devil's illuminations. They've joined the Aberdeenshire FA as well to compete in the Aberdeenshire Cup/Shield.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Very simple answer - Tier 6 

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No question about that,no question about how good BoD are either and possible promotion this time next year,exciting times ahead.

38 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With only two licensed teams across 3 leagues, what are you expecting right now? 

I'm wanting inter Tier playoffs binned across all leagues. I thought that was clear.

If Banks o Dee win the league they shouldn't have to play Fort William they should be promoted.

Not sure what number of licensed teams had to do with the principle of relating teams finishing bottom of the league.

Edited by invergowrie arab

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm wanting inter Tier playoffs binned across all leagues. I thought that was clear.

If Banks o Dee win the league they shouldn't have to play Fort William they should be promoted.

Not sure what number of licensed teams had to do with the principle of relating teams finishing bottom of the league.

Agree,if your bottom of any league you should go down to the league below.

Possibly this has been done to get the HL onside,hopefully its changed quickly once more clubs become licensed.

Formality this time next year as BoD will empty Fort,Strathy Jags etc anyway.

3 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Formality this time next year as BoD will empty Fort,Strathy Jags etc anyway.

I think a couple of Tayside clubs will be Licenced during next season so BoD might not get a free run at it.