Ten Centre Backs In A Team. -  Wild Tactics -

Ten Centre Backs In A Team. -  Wild Tactics -

Would It Work?

I wonder how a team would do if it just picked 10 centre backs in the team?

I do not mean playing all those centre backs in defence. I mean playing those centre backs all over the pitch.

So bring in 10 natural central defenders and play them in every outfield position.

Obviously have a normal goalkeeper in defence. But then pick the 10 best big powerful central defenders all over the side.

So playing central defenders as wingers, full backs, strikers, in midfield, as holding midfielders, as creative midfielders.

I know Scotland is probably not big enough to pick 10 strong powerful central defenders all through the team.

But imagine if Germany, England, Poland, or Russia, picked their ten best big powerful central defenders in every outfield position.

In rugby union players have got taller and taller. In top level international rugby the vast majority of players are over 6 foot tall.

Could this be the case in football, if someone tried?

An entire team of 6 foot 3 inch tall plus players.

Yet we saw the great Spain and Barcelona teams dominate football for a few years. Both teams were not that tall.  

Barcelona had Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi. All relatively short players. They humiliated some bigger teams.

Yet it is normally the case that good tall team will beat a good small team.

Going back to my idea of a large international team playing an entire outfield team of centre backs.    

Advantages-

The team would dominate set pieces. They could dominate teams at height, for free kicks, corners.  

The team could play long ball football and destroy teams, in the air.

The team would outmuscle every team in most positions.

It might be like men against boys at soccer.

Disadvantages-

The team might have no creativity.

The team might have no natural goal scorers.

The team might have not good passers. So it would be a waste to have 10 great central defenders for set pieces, if the passing was rubbish.

There might be no one who can take free kicks or penalties.

-

But could it be a possibility to pick players who are natural central defenders, but can also play as utility players.

-

Conclusion

I think the best teams have a balance between physicality, and creativity. So obviously we need sides that can have some big powerful players for set pieces, and the physical aspects of the game. But also have some creative players with pace or skill, or passing ability.  But would an entire team of centre backs actually do well?

On 05/04/2021 at 10:50, LoonsYouthTeam said:

This reminds me of my friend's idea about 10 years ago of what would happen if Barcelona employed Tony Pulis and played a 451 (Shawcross captain) and punted long balls up to Messi.

I reckon 11 goalkeepers could be more fun, could make it any man save

I can't mind what version it was but I'm 99% certain there was an old PES game that allowed you to play novelty friendlies in the Master League mode against teams of all goalkeepers?

maaaaybe not viable in real life tbf but on the game I mind it being remarkably hard to play against because they were all really tall + had strong body balance stats, so they were really difficult to get the ball back from them.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I can't mind what version it was but I'm 99% certain there was an old PES game that allowed you to play novelty friendlies in the Master League mode against teams of all goalkeepers?

maaaaybe not viable in real life tbf but on the game I mind it being remarkably hard to play against because they were all really tall + had strong body balance stats, so they were really difficult to get the ball back from them.

There was a team of bald players as well called Gli Pelati, which translates loosely as the peeled tomatoes.

On 05/04/2021 at 10:50, LoonsYouthTeam said:

This reminds me of my friend's idea about 10 years ago of what would happen if Barcelona employed Tony Pulis and played a 451 (Shawcross captain) and punted long balls up to Messi.

I reckon 11 goalkeepers could be more fun, could make it any man save

Charity game - 11 goalkeepers V 11 defenders playing in Scotland. That would be worth a watch.