Election 2021 Debates

sophia

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is it just me that wasn't overly impressed with Sarwar tonight? Just a bit meh, a non entity if you like. Apart from telling Dross to grow up, that was his only thing of note for me, hardly superb with the debating.

I think him telling Ross to grow up at the end has probably elevated his performance more than anything. I don't think any of them really stood out, Rennie was forgettable as usual and Ross made a mess of it, the others were steady.

This is just typical Tory, absolute car crash but they still come out with pish like this:

I think him telling Ross to grow up at the end has probably elevated his performance more than anything. I don't think any of them really stood out, Rennie was forgettable as usual and Ross made a mess of it, the others were steady.
This is just typical Tory, absolute car crash but they still come out with pish like this:

Loving the replies in that thread - Bowie getting the pish ripped out of him.

I liked this one especially. 20210330_225719.thumb.jpeg.1dd37ba14865fa0fcd0b56ac86735978.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Off at a slight tangent, but it's worth mentioning the first ever televised presidential debate between Nixon and JFK in 1961. 

Nobody knew what to expect or how it would influence America, but Nixon had a week of sleepless nights before it and turned up a white, striken, shaken, nervous wreck who poured with sweat during the debate. 

JFK turned up in Chicago, shagged a hooker half an hour before the debate, and strolled through it relaxed, like...well, like a man that had just shagged a hooker. 

It was the closest election in American history, but it's common belief that the TV debate won it for Kennedy. 

That, and the fact that JFK's daddy bought Illinois, but that's another story. 

That debate was also broadcast on radio and the radio audience polled said Tricky Dicky performed better than JFK.

39 minutes ago, s_dog said:

The ToryBots were out in force and too dim even to bother rewording the stock, prewritten tweets supplied by HQ.

441413B1-97C9-4301-A9D5-ADF5457395BE.png

6BC3DBDF-B6C6-44EE-B447-320A262EB846.png

1CA42223-1502-44C5-99EB-4E270BD5021B.png

5 minutes ago, Antlion said:

The ToryBots were out in force and too dim even to bother rewording the stock, prewritten tweets supplied by HQ.

441413B1-97C9-4301-A9D5-ADF5457395BE.png

6BC3DBDF-B6C6-44EE-B447-320A262EB846.png

1CA42223-1502-44C5-99EB-4E270BD5021B.png

It's quite funny and in attempting to game the narrative, they have diametrically missed the target as the outcome was an agreement that we all need to work together

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Many traditional labour voters leftover from our industrial past took umbrage at Labour policies in Scotland and swung over to the SNP, i believe a few councilors followed suit,after tonight's performance by Sarwar I can foresee some moving back to the red flag.

I am not convinced that one relatively good showing in a debate will make that many change their mind.

He had nothing to lose and the FM was always going to be in the firing line from the other parties as the incumbent FM . Nicola might not have been at her best but she was still very solid and when you are in front that is all you really need to do.

Look at the  G.E debates in 2015 and 19 in both of them the opposition parties did quite well. Snap polls showed Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn had actually performed pretty well and David Cameron and Boris had been unspectacular It didn't matter as the % share of vote barely moved. If you are way ahead you just need to be steady in these debates.

Even in 2010 when Nick Clegg smashed the first debate and dis well in other two, in the end the LD's % share of vote on election day was only a fraction higher than it had been prior to debates, although they did benefit strongly from tactical voting though.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Many traditional labour voters leftover from our industrial past took umbrage at Labour policies in Scotland and swung over to the SNP, i believe a few councilors followed suit,after tonight's performance by Sarwar I can foresee some moving back to the red flag.

Are there really that many Labour voters left over from our industrial past?  How long ago was our industrial past?

6 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Call me old fashioned.....but I remember the days when SNP leaders used to own these type of debates...coming 2nd to Anas Sarwar......Anas Sarwar ffs

Putting in an average performance but still being reasonably comfortable is considerably better than facing Alistair Darling one on one and making a total c**t of yourself on nationwide TV, imo.

The first 20 mins had questions from Unionists. There were no questions on Brexit or Trident. This was deliberate by the BBC.

On the performances..

Sturgeon - Didn't need to do anything radical. Miles ahead in the polls she kept it simple and got through the debate.

Sarwar - Anecdotal man. Every answer or question had a story.  Redeemed himself with the "Grow up!" shout to Ross

Rennie - Why does he always, why does he always, repeat himself when he's talking?  

Slater - Maybe lacked a wee bit composure, but decent first debate

Ross - Over coached on this with sound bites a plenty. Didn't come across well at all. Poorest performer of the night 

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Rennie - Why does he always, why does he always, repeat himself when he's talking?  

Glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed this. He’s evidently been to the Neil Breen school of dramatic emphasis. 

Ach, there will be plenty more debates but if Ross and his handlers choose to plough on with the "mention your boy. No indy ref" for the next six weeks, they'll be looking over their shoulder at Labour for sure. Sarwar seems extremely competent by branch office standards. Ross's performance must be setting alarm bells off. That was with a traditional BBC set up front loaded with lots of nice questions from "voters". He's toiling.

43 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Douglas Ross was horrendously bad. I could definitely see the pro union vote swinging back towards Labour in a lot of areas. He’s no Ruth Davidson.

He is no Jackson Carlaw he is that bad