Election 2021 Debates

sophia

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Very selective - why not include our quotes praising Sarwar?

I found my quotes interesting because either you didn't read them correctly or they went over your head.

The first was the Sarah Smith one - unless it passed you by - it was a joke - she does have previous having to apologise.

The second was me quoting someone else - so not quite sure what point you were trying to make.

Because my point was specifically pointing out mentions of Sarah Smith, BBC or audience members. I just went through and quoted all that focussed on that. 

No big deal.

I enjoy a lot of your posts and appreciate that you're extremely open minded and fair with discourse on this place. Was just a wee shitpost 👍

2 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

You didn't actually expect anything other than trolling and dishonesty did you?

It's not trolling to have a laugh. Everyone does it. 

Where have I been dishonest about anything on this place? 

Many traditional labour voters leftover from our industrial past took umbrage at Labour policies in Scotland and swung over to the SNP, i believe a few councilors followed suit,after tonight's performance by Sarwar I can foresee some moving back to the red flag.
Can't see anyone moving back tbf. What it might do, and population would be tiny, is that it might keep some unionists from moving to Torys for their 'stop the snp' unionist home and maybe some previous Labour voters who moved to Tory moving back. But like I say 'population size' of that would be tiny

I wonder how the tory press are going to spin this in Ross's favour, I can imagine the Daily Express stating that wee Dougie couldn't get a word in as they all ganged up on him, even Sarah Smith was wearing Labour's colours with her red jacket, and another along the lines of Labour, Lib Dems and Greens all backing the b*****d Sturgeon, Ross on his own fighting for the UK..

They'll spin it all right.

I wonder how the tory press are going to spin this in Ross's favour, I can imagine the Daily Express stating that wee Dougie couldn't get a word in as they all ganged up on him, even Sarah Smith was wearing Labour's colours with her red jacket, and another along the lines of Labour, Lib Dems and Greens all backing the b*****d Sturgeon, Ross on his own fighting for the UK..
They'll spin it all right.
They should just call him a c**t, but they won't.

40 minutes ago, Lex said:

Has anyone on here ever changed their vote due to a politicians performance in a televised debate?

Kinda, but no.

In 2014 I fully expected Salmond to convince me to vote Yes even though I was totally against the idea - in reality he kept stepping round from behind the podium to talk and mentioned something about aliens - he actually further convinced me that my politics were right.

Can't see anyone moving back tbf. What it might do, and population would be tiny, is that it might keep some unionists from moving to Torys for their 'stop the snp' unionist home and maybe some previous Labour voters who moved to Tory moving back. But like I say 'population size' of that would be tiny
That's my take on it - it will stem the flow of the staunch to the Tories.

I just went over to a Daily Express online and they have totally ignored Ross and highlighted audience questions. Looks like Ross has been abandoned;

I like the mention of a  'plot' as if the SNP were going to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Desperation and clutching at straws.

Again an attack on the SNP and Sturgeon, when will they learn, as Ross did tonight, that it does not work.

Obviously no mention of Sarwars victory and his humiliation of Ross. 

BBC audience member erupts at Sturgeon over independence plot: 'What about Covid?!'

SEVERAL audience members at the BBC Scotland leaders debate this evening lashed out at the Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon for her party's focus on driving through independence at a time when the country was grappling with a pandemic. Nicola Sturgeon faced a barrage of criticism this evening as audience members lashed out at the SNP leader over her focus on an independence referendum. One audience member, Selwyn, hit out at the Scottish First Minister for "finding the time" to publish independence plans at a time of national crisis.  Another participant, Angelica, grilled Ms Sturgeon on whether her focus was on a Covid recovery or another independence referendum. 

The broadsheet "quality" newspaper, otherwise known as The Herald, take on the debate:

NICOLA Sturgeon has come under sustained fire over her plans for an independence referendum and the SNP’s record in the first leaders’ debate of the election.

The First Minister stressed her experience and leadership throughout the pandemic, saying: “Covid is not over yet, we need an experienced hand at the wheel.”

She also said she wanted a referendum “when the crisis has passed”, ideally in the first half of the next five-year parliament.

That led to her being repeatedly forced to defend her position after challenges from her opponents and several members of a virtual audience on the BBC1 event.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s refreshing to see a Labour politician getting a Tory telt like that. Starmer could learn a thing or two.

Yes.

Obviously Labour need real policies for Scotland but not buddying up the Tories is a start.

Maybe Labour have finally clocked on that to stop their fade into irrelevance they need to overtake the Tories and be back as the second largest party.

58 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

From my brother :

"#BBCLeadersDebate here’s a quick tally of how often some words were used by leader:

Independence - SNP 4, Green 0, Con 6, Lab 2, Lib Dem 2

Divisive - SNP 0, Green 0, Con 7, Lab 2, Lib Dem 4

Referendum - SNP 1, Green 1, Con 14, Lab 5, Lib Dem 1

Who’s obsessed?"

in keeping with the BBC, I'll bet there was no mention n of Brexit from the host or the audience.....

Thought Sarwar was excellent, and quite a bit ahead of the others. He at least tried to cut through the tired debate between NS (Ref should be in the first half of the parliament), and Douglas 'single policy' Ross (but, but, but, No Indy Ref 2 doesn't matter what the question is about). Rather, Sarwar's focus was on Health, and not just Covid, but also the hughely important issue of cancer waiting lists, as well as the need for the composition of any parliament to prioritise an economic recovery from Covid. Wasn't a 'fan' of AS beforehand, but very impressed by a polished performance.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Watch it on catch up and see Dross act out the tragedy of Willie Donachie and Jim Blyth through the medium of politics

Aye, but will it make any difference to the sizeable number of folk who will vote for a monkey with a blue rosette on - they returned Ross Thomson and Kristene Hair FFS.  And whilst Sarwar proved that he has a wee bit more about him than Richard Leonard, anyone tempted to buy his message should remind themselves of just how politically impotent his UK paymasters are.  This election is about putting the interests of Scotland and it's people first in the face of a hostile Tory Government.

Nope.
But I still believe that Salmond's car crash against Darling in the first debate before the referendum in 2014 was a pivotal point in the campaign. 
You may not win an election/referendum during a televised debate, but it's possible to lose one. 
This.

People won't switch from Tory because of Forres Gump's shit awful performance tonight - but it might either make people less likely to vote or to consider voting Tory to stop the SNP.

The problem with trying throw shit all the time is that eventually some lands on yourself.

He's also beginning to sound like a broken record - if you are trying to ram home the same message you do it in different ways.

Having zero charm or charisma does not help - whatever you may think about The Blurt she did have something about her - he is just utterly devoid of personality.

Sarwar is at least trying to cut through the binary ground of Ref or No Ref...there should be a proportion of voters who are looking for that sort of message. He is miles ahead of Leonard (not difficult obviously). Don't think it matters if the Labour Party isn't 'independent' from UK Labour...this election is about what the next 5 years in Scotland will look like. 

Clearly, a good result for Lab this time around would be to manage to beat the Tories into 2nd place, and then try to build up a more crediblle opposition.

Thought the Green spokeswoman was awful meanwhile, don't know why she had to bellow every answer.

I’m about to watch the cringefest on catch up. All the opposition representatives had to do, was to highlight that in Sturgeon’s utopia, we would have been part of the EU’s shambolic vaccination programme. I’m hoping that merited a few mentions.

I don't think these debates matter an awful lot. The SNP are going to win as independence supporters will mainly back them.  

That said I agree with those who thought Sarwar did fairly well and he came across better than I expected. On that showing he would be a better opposition leader than Ross who was dreadful, one track record. 

The Tory's have clearly understood that the only thing getting them more votes beyond their base support is just being red, white and blue staunch but banging on about independence comes across as a stuck record at times.  

I actually think it is a good thing that Labour in Scotland aren't completely dead despite the shocking leaders they've had.