Election 2021 Debates

sophia

9 minutes ago, sophia said:

All he has left is the staunch and greedy twenty.

Well, that's who he's aiming for. So he's not really got much to recover from.

He essentially just wants to rile people into voting, and so will just ignore everything else and speak directly to those people as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, Lex said:

Has anyone on here ever changed their vote due to a politicians performance in a televised debate?

A wise man once said 

5 hours ago, Stormzy said:

The one thing that is certain is that people will say whoever they already support has won without much concern for any of the substance. 

My personal immoral Unionist perspective is that Sarwar did very well, Ross started okay but ruined it at the end. Nicola was quite rightly on the receiving end of a lot of tricky questions and I've not read it yet but I will not be surprised if this thread is filled with BBC, Sarah Smith and audience criticism. Poor Stewart btw, what did he have to say? Rennie was anonymous and the Green lady might have done well with young voters but I cant deny I cringed everytime she said 'Scaaatland'. 

The guy ranting about Imperialism was probably the funniest moment. 

Also if I had to choose a winner it would be Scottish Labour. I'm considering lending them my list vote. 

Edited by Stormzy

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Has anyone on here ever changed their vote due to a politicians performance in a televised debate?

Nope.

But I still believe that Salmond's car crash against Darling in the first debate before the referendum in 2014 was a pivotal point in the campaign. 

You may not win an election/referendum during a televised debate, but it's possible to lose one. 

Nope.
But I still believe that Salmond's car crash against Darling in the first debate before the referendum in 2014 was a pivotal point in the campaign. 
You may not win an election/referendum during a televised debate, but it's possible to lose one. 

Can’t remember it personally. I take it that was before YES closed the gap in the polls?
Personally I’d rather watch paint dry than any political debate. Let me guess, this was full of sound bites and clichés and now members and supporters of every party are claiming their leader won. Same as the last one and same as the next one.

15 minutes ago, Lex said:

Maybe not but it will affect whether some people will bother to vote or not.  Often the issue is getting your own voters to vote.

Edited by Fullerene

Can’t remember it personally. I take it that was before YES closed the gap in the polls?
Personally I’d rather watch paint dry than any political debate. Let me guess, this was full of sound bites and clichés and now members and supporters of every party are claiming their leader won. Same as the last one and same as the next one.
Most here agree that Sarwar won - which is telling.

This is not exactly a bastion of Labour support.

My mum, is a real hard Tory, and even she is disillusioned by Ross.

She actually wrote to him last week telling him to cool the Sturgeon-Salmond stuff because it was going to lose votes after Hamilton.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Lex said:

Off at a slight tangent, but it's worth mentioning the first ever televised presidential debate between Nixon and JFK in 1961. 

Nobody knew what to expect or how it would influence America, but Nixon had a week of sleepless nights before it and turned up a white, striken, shaken, nervous wreck who poured with sweat during the debate. 

JFK turned up in Chicago, shagged a hooker half an hour before the debate, and strolled through it relaxed, like...well, like a man that had just shagged a hooker. 

It was the closest election in American history, but it's common belief that the TV debate won it for Kennedy. 

That, and the fact that JFK's daddy bought Illinois, but that's another story. 

Just read the thread. Pleased to see some sensible posters recognising Sarwar and his good performance, I think he'll surprise a lot of people that thought he was the staunch SNPbad candidate rather than someone sincerely trying to shift the debate onto domestic policies 

On all the other stuff i predicted..

Colour me surprised. 

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Sarah Smith just assured me on BBC telly that she will ensure that tonight's debate will be about issues and policies and not the recent 'psychodramas'.  Total respect to her; no-one did more to hose petrol onto the psychodrama bonfire than she.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, O said:
Sarah Smith just assured me on BBC telly that she will ensure that tonight's debate will be about issues and policies and not the recent 'psychodramas'.  Total respect to her; no-one did more to hose petrol onto the psychodrama bonfire than she.

When's Smith's apology?

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Sarah Smith trending on Twitter BEFORE the debate has started 😂

Seriously though, she should be nowhere near it 

1 hour ago, sophia said:

I knew Selwyn was a Tory just by looking at him

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Thought the guy asking the question there was going to punch the screen at the end of his question. Debate’s barely started and he’s already raging.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Aye, he didn't need to open his mouth for viewers to very safely guess exactly what was coming from him there. 

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

The wee Tory at the top middle has managed to stop wanking over Selwyn and has since had his hand up - I’m surprised it’s taking this long to get to him.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

3 folk asking the same reductive question isn't a good platform for a debate.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Selwyn started swinging in his seat when Erasmus and the EU was mentioned.

More Selwyn!

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

The usual "balance" of views from the BBC audience! Did they use the same selection approach as Question Time?

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

The wee Tory with the tired hand beeling at “branch office”. 

Branch Office mentioned and Sarah Smith goes into panic mode and starts talking back to the audience.

I thought this was a leaders debate?

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

That guy at the top of the audience is absolutely hilarious.

audience member "money will be tight"

reality "every govt everywhere will be increasing spending because they know growth is the only way to save the economy as it is currently constituted"

59 minutes ago, sophia said:

Selwyn is desperate to ask a question.

Either that or he's gone full Ulster

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

From my brother :

"#BBCLeadersDebate here’s a quick tally of how often some words were used by leader:

Independence - SNP 4, Green 0, Con 6, Lab 2, Lib Dem 2

Divisive - SNP 0, Green 0, Con 7, Lab 2, Lib Dem 4

Referendum - SNP 1, Green 1, Con 14, Lab 5, Lib Dem 1

Who’s obsessed?"

Just read the thread. Pleased to see some sensible posters recognising Sarwar and his good performance, I think he'll surprise a lot of people that thought he was the staunch SNPbad candidate rather than someone sincerely trying to shift the debate onto domestic policies 
On all the other stuff i predicted..
Colour me surprised. 

Very selective - why not include our quotes praising Sarwar?

I found my quotes interesting because either you didn't read them correctly or they went over your head.

The first was the Sarah Smith one - unless it passed you by - it was a joke - she does have previous having to apologise.

The second was me quoting someone else - so not quite sure what point you were trying to make.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Very selective - why not include our quotes praising Sarwar?

I found my quotes interesting because either you didn't read them correctly or they went over your head.

The first was the Sarah Smith one - unless it passed you by - it was a joke - she does have previous having to apologise.

The second was me quoting someone else - so not quite sure what point you were trying to make.

You didn't actually expect anything other than trolling and dishonesty did you?

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's surprising about an audience member being hilarious? In fact, what has it got to do with anything?

Just that I thought a lot of the comments would focus on the audience, admittedly yours is more from a humorous perspective than a biased one and I liked your comments throughout the thread but it just kinda fitted my narrative tbqhwy

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Spot on.

And without doubt they will bring in Salmond's new party as soon as.

Douglas Ross had a terrible reputation as a nasty wee man in debates when he was a Moray councilor, he likes throwing personal barbs and insults.

I'd just ask him if he got cleared of his sexual misdemeanor. 

26 minutes ago, Lex said:

Many traditional labour voters leftover from our industrial past took umbrage at Labour policies in Scotland and swung over to the SNP, i believe a few councilors followed suit,after tonight's performance by Sarwar I can foresee some moving back to the red flag.