New Champions league Format

Busta Nut

7 minutes ago, ahemps said:

2 wild card entries???

Is this so the biggest clubs in European football, the Old Firm can get invited in when they don't qualify?

The wild cards are for the clubs highest on the UEFA club ranking who haven't qualified yet. If that rule was already in place, Liverpool would qualify for next season for example, regardless of how high they finish in the PL.

11 minutes ago, ahemps said:

2 wild card entries???

Is this so the biggest clubs in European football, the Old Firm can get invited in when they don't qualify?

Basically an extra 2 Spanish/German/Italian/English teams every year.  A level of self preservation that would make Peter Lawwell blush.

3 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Load of shite. I'm so glad I support a diddy who will never reach that level. How dull is it watching Atletico play Lyon or Juventus play Man U every year and it gets built up to be something incredible. UEFA are really fucking up football for the sake of money.

I get what you are saying but football is already totally ruined by money, we have a dominant 1-3 teams in almost every league in Europe that is impossible for the others to break into. Football is already a closed shop in many ways.

But how is Atletico playing Lyon twice a season boring but say Atletico playing Elche twice is seen as traditional?????

1 minute ago, ahemps said:

I get what you are saying but football is already totally ruined by money, we have a dominant 1-3 teams in almost every league in Europe that is impossible for the others to break into. Football is already a closed shop in many ways.

But how is Atletico playing Lyon twice a season boring but say Atletico playing Elche twice is seen as traditional?????

Because one is a domestic league set up where you know that is going to happen. One is part of a continental competition that was designed with one of the key selling points being you play different teams from different countries to keep things exciting - very much how it was up until the last 15-20 years. That is why many people will say the prefer the Europa League - it has far greater variety and more unique fixtures.

Guest TheJTS98

Carabao's sponsorship of the League Cup is up for renewal in 2022. Perhaps an opportune moment for the big clubs to get it killed off.

This would, of course, be a tragedy. Removing one of the chances for clubs to win something eats away at the whole point of football.

That's the worst thing about this tournament. It not only excludes the vast majority of clubs and protects an elite who have done nothing but bully themselves into position at the right time, but it actively damages the rest of the sport. See leagues dominated by a tiny number of clubs or tv blackouts for derby cup ties because they 'clash' with CL games. How the f**k a game can 'clash' with a match between two foreign teams playing in another country is beyond me, but there we are.

And now there's a good chance many clubs will have a shot at a trophy taken away because the big clubs want to go and make more money. Interesting to see the EFL's next move here. I don't doubt the big clubs will be happy to throw some Big Picture-esque cash at the EFL to buy them off.

Remember, if you pay to watch this pish, you're the problem.

19 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Carabao's sponsorship of the League Cup is up for renewal in 2022. Perhaps an opportune moment for the big clubs to get it killed off.

This would, of course, be a tragedy. Removing one of the chances for clubs to win something eats away at the whole point of football.

That's the worst thing about this tournament. It not only excludes the vast majority of clubs and protects an elite who have done nothing but bully themselves into position at the right time, but it actively damages the rest of the sport. See leagues dominated by a tiny number of clubs or tv blackouts for derby cup ties because they 'clash' with CL games. How the f**k a game can 'clash' with a match between two foreign teams playing in another country is beyond me, but there we are.

And now there's a good chance many clubs will have a shot at a trophy taken away because the big clubs want to go and make more money. Interesting to see the EFL's next move here. I don't doubt the big clubs will be happy to throw some Big Picture-esque cash at the EFL to buy them off.

Talk of cancelling it, allowing teams to field under 23 sides or playing some rounds earlier seem to be the only options for this. Why don't they use the Caraboa cup for teams not in Europe and with a European place as a prize? A competition that clubs like Everton, Villa, Newcastle, Wolves etc. can all win would still be a decent competition.

1 minute ago, ahemps said:

Talk of cancelling it, allowing teams to field under 23 sides or playing some rounds earlier seem to be the only options for this. Why don't they use the Caraboa cup for teams not in Europe and with a European place as a prize? A competition that clubs like Everton, Villa, Newcastle, Wolves etc. can all win would still be a decent competition.

Even the smaller teams in the Premier League can't be arsed with it to be honest. 

If they scrapped the League Cup I'd love a British Cup (excluding Premier League teams) maybe bi-annually. I'll get shot down for suggesting it but f**k it. 

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

Even the smaller teams in the Premier League can't be arsed with it to be honest. 

If they scrapped the League Cup I'd love a British Cup (excluding Premier League teams) maybe bi-annually. I'll get shot down for suggesting it but f**k it. 

I know, they can't be bothered with the FA cup either but that is because it is worth more to finish 2 places higher in the EPL than go to a cup final so they put out weak sides. That is another way that money has ruined the game.

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

That's obviously true, but I'm paying for Sky Sports just now for Scotland national games, SPFL, F1 and rugby. I'm paying for BT Sport for rugby and because it comes with the TV package. It's hard to opt out without cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The ideal format imo would be similar to the African Champions League model. The top 12 leagues get two places with everyone else getting one. Same distribution also applies to the CAF Confederation Cup which is the CAF equivalent to the Europa League.

How would the affect our league cup?

Could it see those in the group stages of the European competitions withdraw? The end of the domestic treble?

I have loved our runs in that cup and id hate to see it go so that every now and then 1 of the old firm have a 10 games against the Euro elite .

Bring back the Fairs Cup or Intertoto. Cannot be bothered with this nonsense. Make it an invitational and get it over with. 

As a side the other thing that annoys me is listening to fans of big teams (usually in England) say they'd be happier to finish 4th in their league and get knocked out Europa. 

Shows you how it has effected the attitude of fans, surely you want your team to win every comp they enter. Would rather watch us get horsed of Ayr United than Chelsea v PSG any day.