American/European Truck Sim

Connor1874

Perhaps outing myself here a bit, but I don't even care. Anyone play these games?

As someone who likes to just have a relaxing drive on games like GTA, only to be left raging with the horrible AI drivers and stuff, this really scratches an itch. You basically set up a garage in a city of your choice, and do trucking jobs across a scaled down, but still very detailed, map of Europe (or America if you play that version). The aim is to of course earn money to buy your own truck, then in turn hire drivers, expand your business and basically become a huge logistics company.

While the business side of it doesn't hugely entertain me, the driving side certainly does. An acquired taste for sure, but during lockdown especially, it's ridiculously relaxing and satisfying just driving through Europe, and is somewhat filling the void left in my life by not being able to travel. My set up is pretty minimalist too. I just play on my laptop (which has pretty shit graphics tbh) and use an Xbox One controller. However, I dream of the day I can get a proper PC with a steering wheel and pedals.

The base games are £14.99 each, but there's DLC which expands the map on both games. Those of you who watch Limmy on Twitch or YouTube might've even seen this very game. 

As I said, acquired taste, definitely not for everyone. But if you think this sounds even remotely fun, trust me, you won't regret it.

Yahtzee did a video on one of these years ago. I picked it up for free on Steam not long after, and it's been looking balefully at me from my library ever since. I get the feeling I'll end up trying it at some point and wondering why I'm not playing some new action shooter RPG, or just doing some fucking work, once I'm 200 hours in.

This game was last in the news when the makers launched an event where drivers could deliver shipments of Covid vaccines across Europe, only to get shit from the anti-vaxxers and issue a mealy-mouthed apology in which they claimed not to have any opinions on the validity of vaccinations  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...