Toon v Clyde

Absolutely gutted we've missed a season where we win at Peterhead, Cove and Keith away.

Absolutely fuming that Thistle and Falkirk are so bad.

The back four were solid. McGlinchey composed. Jamieson ran his socks off up against three/four players every time. Two magnificent goals.

Thats been coming for a while, have been getting results without doing much.  Both teams poor in first half with us very pedestrian going forward & back to going sideways or back. Clyde kicked on in the second half and ran out deserved winners. When the subs started would have hooked  both Ferry & Scott Brown as they were getting in the way. Thought the left back that Clyde have from Celtic did well. Thats us back to looking over our shoulders again, tonight was the chance to avoid having to worry too much about that but it passed us by.

Really good performance. Very disciplined. Fresh legs clearly helping. Sensible rotations. Good use of subs. Fill your boots really.

As I wrote on the Mo' thread, I'd keep that system going in a rota even though we lost a couple on Saturday. The players know their roles. They're generally playing in positions they've played for a good while.

We stood up to a lot of possession without really showing them the goal throughout. Wisely made sure Ferry didn't have an easy time getting turned.

A clean sheet without Lang and two goals without Goodwillie. That's the kind of anomaly you can probably only generate with the fitness difference that was evident in the second half.

Craig Howie, eh? Cruyff turns in the centre of the park. Rattling them in from all angles. Thought he was a defender...!

And Ally Love. What a ball. This is why I'd be giving him a new deal again and again. He's a diamond when it comes to decisions in possession as an attacker. No great pace or strength but plenty dig and he reliably sets them up throughout a season.

Absolutely gutted we've missed a season where we win at Peterhead, Cove and Keith away.
The back four were solid. McGlinchey composed. Jamieson ran his socks off up against three/four players every time. Two magnificent goals.
Your thoughts on Nicoll last 2 David

Absolutely.....playing really well....a fantastic result and Nicoll/Rumsby and Jamieson the top 3 for me. 
Yeah agreed. CH of rumsby / Mcniff in cup concerned me v dumfermline but completely diff level and mitch behind would have helped no doubt...

Young Otto looks like hes been playing fitba longer than my monday blues & great signing

Jamieson legs and effort for a loan player a joy to watch , these types can oftem go thro motions due to short term deal but not this lad and once again huge credit to GD/DL..

Yer Mithers Pride

20 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:
39 minutes ago, David W said:

Your thoughts on Nicoll last 2 David

He was awful on the ball tonight, no different to the majority of others in that regard in fairness but I'd hope as an experienced head he'd be a bit calmer in possession. I thought he was much better on Saturday than today, albeit today was definitely a scrappier match. 

There's no doubt that he is benefitting from us playing a very narrow back four and midfield, similar to Rumsby. Or maybe we're benefitting as a team because that suits them both? Either way, he's had a positive impact and that's more than most thought would happen when he re-signed. Fair play to him, he's probably got a point to prove.

For me the biggest contribution he'll be making is that his presence on the pitch will be ensuring that Munro, Otoo, Thomson and others perform to their level. You talk about previous loanees going through the motions and he'll be part of ensuring that doesn't happen. 

1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Nicoll strolled it AGAIN... Anyone caring/raging to agree

Definitely looks a good move getting full time legs in alongside him to get him in the team in a role that suits him best, just sitting in front of the back 4 and not having to cover lots of ground. Takes pressure of the centre backs too. Was a bit edgy with the McNiff-Rumsby partnership at the start but have they had an easier game as a pairing? 

Really questioned this young loanees signing policy but with the games coming thick and fast and fitness coming into things it could very shrewd business. 

What a fucking strike from Howie. The game needed that to spark into life a bit and I thought from then we managed the game well. 2nd rounded things off nicely. I was criticising Cunningham's end product in general from his time at Clyde in our group chat so was pleased to see him take that goal really well. 

An excellent nights work, even more impressive in the absence of Lang and Goodwillie. 

Edited by C. Muir

On 29/03/2021 at 20:34, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Given our mostly bogging record at Balmoor, our current seasons shite form and this outrageous fixture list I’m gonnae go out on a limb and go for a Peterheid win.

I need to post like this more often pre-match.

Brilliant result at a ground we usually get sweet FA from. Especially without Goodie and Lang.

Great to hear Jamieson and Otoo continue to play well. Lennons signing policy is now obviously not an issue anymore after some of us jumped the gun...

Guest andyp1301
5 hours ago, David W said:

He was awful on the ball tonight, no different to the majority of others in that regard in fairness but I'd hope as an experienced head he'd be a bit calmer in possession. I thought he was much better on Saturday than today, albeit today was definitely a scrappier match. 

There's no doubt that he is benefitting from us playing a very narrow back four and midfield, similar to Rumsby. Or maybe we're benefitting as a team because that suits them both? Either way, he's had a positive impact and that's more than most thought would happen when he re-signed. Fair play to him, he's probably got a point to prove.

For me the biggest contribution he'll be making is that his presence on the pitch will be ensuring that Munro, Otoo, Thomson and others perform to their level. You talk about previous loanees going through the motions and he'll be part of ensuring that doesn't happen. 

We were never expecting Nicoll to be our Pirlo now were we? The difference he has made to our midfield and specifically to the protection of the back 4 is clear.  He appears to be playing within himself and his football intelligence is spreading to others. Talking the others through it constantly. Previously our midfield was just being run past and our defenders had no protection, Nicoll has changed that and if he was 10 years younger he would be second on the team sheet every week. He's not though and he has to be careful and economic with his energy. His movement across our midfield when the opposition are in possession, and stopping them just skipping through onto our defence is  exactly what wasn't happening earlier in the season.

Might be worth remembering that he is on Amateur terms...not sure if that means he receives expenses for fuel, but effectively it means the paymasters at the Club would not agree to a wage for him. He clearly took time off work to be available last night and so I think big Kev is due a degree of respect. Just my opinion of course.

Guest andyp1301
6 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Definitely looks a good move getting full time legs in alongside him to get him in the team in a role that suits him best, just sitting in front of the back 4 and not having to cover lots of ground. Takes pressure of the centre backs too. Was a bit edgy with the McNiff-Rumsby partnership at the start but have they had an easier game as a pairing? 

Really questioned this young loanees signing policy but with the games coming thick and fast and fitness coming into things it could very shrewd business. 

What a fucking strike from Howie. The game needed that to spark into life a bit and I thought from then we managed the game well. 2nd rounded things off nicely. I was criticising Cunningham's end product in general from his time at Clyde in our group chat so was pleased to see him take that goal really well. 

An excellent nights work, even more impressive in the absence of Lang and Goodwillie. 

I am honestly not so sure the youngsters coming in is due to a "signing policy", more of a necessity. That said, if the youngsters on loan is as a direct result of the Club not giving money to Danny for experience (of his choice that is) then it is a policy. No funds available policy (McGlinchy apart).

I think Danny will get the best out the lads, but I really wouldn't like to say it was his signing policy.

If were to get even a draw tomorrow night now it would be a fantastic week.  Even 4 points isn't that bad.  If we got 7 points then it would be an insane return from a quite horrific fixture schedule.  We were solid, if unspectacular, last night but we have been on the end of that many times. 

I hope we can feed off the confidence that was tangible last night.

I was delighted to see the newbies and the loanees really join in the goal celebrations...made me think they feel part of something.

Long day for the guys: leaving Broadwood just after lunch and not returning till way after midnight.