UK Passports getting stamped

Ekhibee88

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Nice Douglas Ross impression there. I'm sure folk in the The United Republic of Tanzania say the same about parts of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

If we were stopping people at Berwick or Gretna and demanding to see their passports, you might have a point.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at my old passport to see what stamps I got.

Serbia

Australia for both visits

UAE

Albania , on leaving by ferry, no entry stamp/

Montenegro

Croatia 

Macedonia

Russia

Sticker for Hong Kong

Thailand

China

Bosnia only on leaving.

Turkey sticker.

New Passport only has Japan.

On my current one I've got:

USA x 2
Canada
Serbia
Bosnia
Montenegro
Croatia (visited about two weeks before they joined the EU)
Poland (dunno why the woman gave me it)
Thailand
Cambodia
Vietnam
Laos
Mexico
Belize
Guatemala
El Salvador
Costa Rica
Nicaragua

Honduras didn't give us one because we didn't officially enter the country. Some G adventures jiggery pokery.

Also got full page visas from Cambodia and Laos.

Irish passport hasn't even been used yet and can't see it getting anywhere near as much ink.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a train station in the north of South Korea that, I think, has been built in the hope that one day it will service lines going north in a unified Korea. It's pretty much just a tourist spot for now, but it's a pretty cool place to visit nonetheless and is on the way to the DMZ.

Anyway, there are free stamps there, designed to look like passport stamps, that you can put on postcards etc to either keep as a souvenir or send to loved ones from the adjacent post office. You are expressly told that you cannot stamp your passport as it carries the very real risk of invalidating the entire document if noticed by zealous border officials at immigration ports anywhere on the planet. 

As you can imagine, in the queue to use the stamp there were swathes of people, American passports in hand, waiting to defile their travel documentation

I sincerely hope they're still stuck there to this day.

On 12/05/2021 at 15:17, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

There's a train station in the north of South Korea that, I think, has been built in the hope that one day it will service lines going north in a unified Korea. It's pretty much just a tourist spot for now, but it's a pretty cool place to visit nonetheless and is on the way to the DMZ.

Anyway, there are free stamps there, designed to look like passport stamps, that you can put on postcards etc to either keep as a souvenir or send to loved ones from the adjacent post office. You are expressly told that you cannot stamp your passport as it carries the very real risk of invalidating the entire document if noticed by zealous border officials at immigration ports anywhere on the planet. 

As you can imagine, in the queue to use the stamp there were swathes of people, American passports in hand, waiting to defile their travel documentation

I  done that with one of my older passports, think it was from some place in Prague. Never had any problems with my passport after but heads gone for putting that stamp in.

On 12/05/2021 at 22:17, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I've not been to either N or S Korea bit I have been to the USA so I can understand why they were so keen to be detained. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2021 at 13:11, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Think alot of places have started doing away with them now that passports are all machine readable and data can be stored on a computer 

Girl from STV News got hers stamped when entering Faro in Portugal. Was on the 6pm news this evening.

On 24/05/2021 at 13:11, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Think alot of places have started doing away with them now that passports are all machine readable and data can be stored on a computer 

Yeah, even the Non Eu countries in Europe don't always stamp! I remember Serbia certainly did.

Yeah, even the Non Eu countries in Europe don't always stamp! I remember Serbia certainly did.

I got woken up on a train at about 2AM to get a Serbian stamp. Bosnia and Montenegro stamped on the same trip as well. Was very excited by that at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Border guy made a big show of stamping my passport at Lisbon Airport this evening but I don't think he had any ink, no sign of it. Locals were annoyed because our queue was faster than theirs.