Ayr United vs Clyde

D'Jaffo

We seem to have had so many games like this all season.  Just felt like we would never score even if we had played another 90 minutes.  Glad when this awful season will be over and I would not expect us to win any playoff games if we take 9th place in the league.  

I think that's as impressive a result for us as it was an underwhelming performance from Ayr. And interestingly, it's the first time we've won down there in nigh on twenty years.

For a part-time team who've played a couple through the week to go away to a comparably fresh-legged full-time team and win is, on its face, superb. Of course, we have been working a bit of a rota so it's not quite as surprising a result as it might seem. But we still had plenty tired legs out there, make no mistake.

I thought we defended well after nicking the early goal and making a very high-tempo start. Perhaps that was calculated. Or perhaps it was simply driven by a bollocking following the no-show over the same period at East Fife. Hard to pick an outstanding individual for either team. Kevin Nicoll did a lot of useful dirty work for us so I'd give him MOTM. Rumsby done some good aggressive defending in the first half too.

I think we changed our shape in the second-half in anticipation of our energy levels dropping and no doubt they did. We've rarely done well with a line of three/five at the back but it served a purpose today because it enjoyed good protection from the midfield and we'd a lead to defend so we could sit very deeply, limiting the space for Ayr who seemed hell bent on trying to play through us. They ended up with a few corners but very little in the way of chances bar maybe one or two which Mitchell snuffed out.

Unusually, it's a bittersweet thing to win as another fixture is all we need but with any luck it'll be a money spinner with some tele money or the likes.

However poorly Ayr performed on the day, it did also strike me that there wasn't a lot of quality through their side, particularly in the final third. And unfortunately for the game, I think there has been a reduction in individual quality and a reduction in the quality gap you see between teams in what is now league one and even as far up as the bottom few teams in the SPL. There are a lot of players kicking around who've lingered not because of their talent or fitness but because of the poverty of alternatives. Put it this way, in the decade from 2000 to 2010, what was then the first division was, in almost every season, a league with more individual quality and better teams leading up the league. I think there's been a real slide since round about then.

Roll on the next round.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo

On 30/03/2021 at 20:08, UpInTheAyr said:

Would be a right minter to get beat from a league 1 team at home who are playing their third game in 6 days

Yip!

5 days actually, or less than 100 hours to be even more precise.

Some effort from our lads :thumsup2.

Guest andyp1301
42 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Loving the nicoll seethe (STILL) from some

Well they are nutters...he's been awesome every time he's played and what's more I'd have him back next year too

Great result to go away from home and beat a full time Championship side given the congested fixture list we have at the moment.

Didn’t watch the game but Ayr must be really, really shite if we are beating them with Goodie starting on the bench! 

onto the next round to lose away to Stranraer...

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse
Fixed it...

1 minute ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Great result to go away from home and beat a full time Championship side given the congested fixture list we have at the moment.

Didn’t watch the game but Ayr must be really, really shite if we are beating them with Goodie starting on the bench! 

onto the next round to lose away to Brora...

Brora are out.