Accies vs Saints 3/4/21

btb

I make that 8 penalties we've had this season with at least another 6 games to go. In all my years watching us I can't recall getting that many in a season.
Long may it continue!
Pretty sure we hadn't had one given to us until Goodwin went public about the lack of penalties we had been given.

Had some questionable ones but were denied stonewallers against Rangers and Hibs.

As for the result today I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Should have had similar scores in the 2 previous games against Accies before we blew 2 leads.

A 3-0 win away from home against any Prem team can't be sniffed at though.

Next season we'll have a fit Dennis and hopefully a fit Brophy to choose from. Would be happy enough with Obika signing up but I want more goals from him.

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Pretty sure we hadn't had one given to us until Goodwin went public about the lack of penalties we had been given.

Had some questionable ones but were denied stonewallers against Rangers and Hibs.

As for the result today I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Should have had similar scores in the 2 previous games against Accies before we blew 2 leads.

A 3-0 win away from home against any Prem team can't be sniffed at though.

Next season we'll have a fit Dennis and hopefully a fit Brophy to choose from. Would be happy enough with Obika signing up but I want more goals from him.

I definitely want another to play alongside Brophy. Dennis is quite obviously our best striker, but at 31, I just get the feeling he is someone who will need to be very carefully managed. 

For what it's worth, I thought Erwin had his best game today. Was surprised when he went off. 

Have to say I disagree dj. I thought he was awful. There’s been a couple of games when he’s played well for us. One shortly after he signed and one 2/3 weeks back. (Not the Hamilton league game). Otherwise I’ve thought he’s been seriously pish. Slow as the proverbial week in jail, terrible touch and for a big guy weak as a can of Top Deck.

I agree with IrishBhoy and buddie06 that in Obika we have someone who can cause a bit of carnage occasionally. His finishing is pretty much abysmal but on his day he can be a nightmare for defenders. Pretty sure Martin was having cold sweats at half time today about facing big Jon in the second half. Sadly these games are all too rare.

I’m seriously frustrated that Jim persevered with the lumbering duo again today. He got away with it because Obika had one of his good games. I’d be horrified if we went into next season with those two up front.

Dennis looks like a player. If he’d been fit all season we’d surely have been up there with Livvy. If he can stay fit and get a good preseason in him I’ll be excited. Brophy ‘could’ be a good partner for him too. Let’s see. I’d love us to go for Anderson though if Glass decides he’s surplus at the Dons.

Great result for us yesterday, Ross County & Hamilton are the only two top flight teams knocked out so far so it'll likely be a tough game in the next round - bring it on!

9 hours ago, Micky said:

Have to say I disagree dj. I thought he was awful. There’s been a couple of games when he’s played well for us. One shortly after he signed and one 2/3 weeks back. (Not the Hamilton league game). Otherwise I’ve thought he’s been seriously pish. Slow as the proverbial week in jail, terrible touch and for a big guy weak as a can of Top Deck.

I agree with IrishBhoy and buddie06 that in Obika we have someone who can cause a bit of carnage occasionally. His finishing is pretty much abysmal but on his day he can be a nightmare for defenders. Pretty sure Martin was having cold sweats at half time today about facing big Jon in the second half. Sadly these games are all too rare.

I’m seriously frustrated that Jim persevered with the lumbering duo again today. He got away with it because Obika had one of his good games. I’d be horrified if we went into next season with those two up front.

Dennis looks like a player. If he’d been fit all season we’d surely have been up there with Livvy. If he can stay fit and get a good preseason in him I’ll be excited. Brophy ‘could’ be a good partner for him too. Let’s see. I’d love us to go for Anderson though if Glass decides he’s surplus at the Dons.

I just thought that he came deep for the ball a lot, held it up well and provided good foil for Obika. I've been his biggest critic since he's arrived. He's offered little to nothing.

He didn't carry much of a goal threat yesterday which I suppose he'll live and die on but one of my biggest bugbears about him is a lack of ability to control the ball and allow others time to come into it and I thought yesterday that he did that to a pretty acceptable level.

Regardless of whether it's Dennis, if we are building our team around Brophy next season then he needs a partner who will complement him as we know he's wasted up top alone.

I definitely want another to play alongside Brophy. Dennis is quite obviously our best striker, but at 31, I just get the feeling he is someone who will need to be very carefully managed. 
Dennis and Brophy up front sounds good to me, as you say though Dennis has had his issues already. I think our game gets a bit of getting used to as well, not the best standard but its played at such a pace a lot of English players come up and take a while to get used to it, some don't handle it at all.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Ideally a striker pool of 4/5. I'd try and punt Erwin, would be happy enough to have Obika signed up and at least one other if we can move Erwin on.

On 04/04/2021 at 13:33, AmericanFan said:

He does realize they lost 3-0, not 1-0, correct?

Don't see why it's not a penalty either, keeper comes out to block the shot, gets nowhere near the ball and wipes the player out and the ball is still in play at the time of the contact. 

16 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Don't see why it's not a penalty either, keeper comes out to block the shot, gets nowhere near the ball and wipes the player out and the ball is still in play at the time of the contact. 

Even if the ball was out of play... imagine a full-back clears a ball into touch and then gets cleaned out by the winger. Foul all day long and this is no different.