Accies vs Saints 3/4/21

btb

Thought St Mirren one was a pen and also think Accies should have had one midway through first half.

Rice never takes responsibility for anything. If he had made the change that even the commentators knew should have happened things might have been different.

Awful manager who costs us games by making changes that are not needed and not making ones that are needed.

He's right that they should have had a penalty.

He's absolutely lost it though to commit to Hamilton being 'dominant' apart from the first 25 minutes.

This was never, ever the case. Hamilton had slightly the better of the second half, we were by far and away the better side in the first.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

My word. How we've missed Kristian Dennis

Was really impressed with the interview he done with the Club a few days ago. He looked like a player that was very happy and content at the club, especially for someone just coming back from a quite serious injury.

It was very unfortunate that he got the injury at the time that he did, just off the back of his goals at Tannadice and Celtic Park and looking like a player that Goodwin was manoeuvring into our starting no. 9. Excited to see what he can do off the back of a good pre-season.  

Also, I know there’s some Saints fans that wouldn’t be too bothered if Obika was to leave the club, but I don’t think there’s many other players out there that would be able to come in and do the job that he does. Outside the OF and maybe Aberdeen and Hibs, I think most fans of the other clubs would be quite happy having a guy like Obika in their team. He’s not a clinical finisher by any stretch of the imagination, but his hold up work has improved massively in the time he has been with us, and he looks like an absolute nuisance for centre halves to play against, as well as chipping in with a more than respectable goal tally this season. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

They don't have to be though, if you know you're sending the keeper the wrong way every time you can just put it far enough away from him.

Aiming for right in the corner increases the risk of missing.

I was just speaking about this with my Dad earlier. I genuinely think McGrath has got to be up there with the best penalty takers I’ve seen, You often hear commentators say ‘oh and he’s sent the keeper the wrong way’, even though it’s obvious to see that the ‘keeper has picked a side to dive to before the ball has been struck, and got unlucky. 

McGrath, however, isn’t even rattling his penalties into the side netting and just hoping for the ‘keeper to go the wrong way. Every one of his penalties are rolled into the net as casual as you like, absolute confidence in him scoring any time he steps up to the spot, in a way I haven’t been watching any other Saints player taking a penalty. 

I’ve no clue on what his technique is although I’m thinking it may be something to do with him watching where the goalkeeper is transferring his weight to as he runs up to the ball. I grew up playing as a GK at youth level, and was told a little trick to watch for when facing a penalty, and I imagine it’s something that all keepers at this level will also know about, as well as the penalty takers to be fair. 

As a player took his run up towards the ball I would be focusing solely on the angle of the foot that was planted just as the ball was about to be struck, so for right footed players it would be the planting of the left foot, and vice versa. If the angle of the planted foot was open then you would be looking for a right footer to strike the ball across his body to his left hand side, and if the foot was more closed or facing straight ahead then they were looking to go to their right hand side. It’s not fool proof obviously but it’s a very good indicator of where the ball is going to go, and I wonder if McGrath is fooling goalkeepers using something similar to this. 

Also, I know there’s some Saints fans that wouldn’t be too bothered if Obika was to leave the club, but I don’t think there’s many other players out there that would be able to come in and do the job that he does. Outside the OF and maybe Aberdeen and Hibs, I think most fans of the other clubs would be quite happy having a guy like Obika in their team. He’s not a clinical finisher by any stretch of the imagination, but his hold up work has improved massively in the time he has been with us, and he looks like an absolute nuisance for centre halves to play against, as well as chipping in with a more than respectable goal tally this season. 

I agree - he gave Martin in the Hamilton defence a torrid time in the first half today. He can be frustrating at times but other times he is a handful and I would imagine very difficult to play against. I would sign him up again for next season. I thought he linked well with Erwin today as well.

I could completely understand Erwin leathering the ball away when he was subbed. Especially when Goodwin was reverting back to packing the midfield and allowing Hamilton to have the ball, thankfully that didn’t last long until he brought Dennis on. I don’t think Erwin is as bad as made out but if Obika signs another year then I don’t see a role for him next season. He’d be 3rd in line at least. As it is I’d like to see if Obika and Dennis can start to forge a partnership in these remaining games.

3 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I agree - he gave Martin in the Hamilton defence a torrid time in the first half today. He can be frustrating at times but other times he is a handful and I would imagine very difficult to play against. I would sign him up again for next season. I thought he linked well with Erwin today as well.

I could completely understand Erwin leathering the ball away when he was subbed. Especially when Goodwin was reverting back to packing the midfield and allowing Hamilton to have the ball, thankfully that didn’t last long until he brought Dennis on. I don’t think Erwin is as bad as made out but if Obika signs another year then I don’t see a role for him next season. He’d be 3rd in line at least. As it is I’d like to see if Obika and Dennis can start to forge a partnership in these remaining games.

Completely agree. Obika is actually very good with his back to goal and I have noticed this season how much more comfortable he is having balls along the ground rapped into his feet at pace. I’ve made this comparison before but look at someone like Lyndon Dykes, who is comfortable taking difficult balls in, controlling them as he holds off a defender and gives his midfield time to come and support, and the minute he’s laid the ball off he has his head down and is making a run into the box/a more attacking position. 

RE Erwin, I don’t think he’s a terrible player either. However for a team with ambitions of top 6 next season. I don’t think he’s going to cut it. He struggles to control even the simplest of balls, and is often the player at which a promising attacking move breaks down. Contrary to Obika, I don’t think there is many Premiership clubs that would be improved with Erwin in their team.