Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

Most teams that are dominant in possession actually play a back three these days.

Difference is they flex out one of the outside CB’s to adjust to a 2 at the back system when necessary.

It could also be we play McTominay and Tierney as the outside CB’s in games like these as that would obviously allow us to do that more effectively. think it’s pointless if we have the likes of Hendry as the RCB though. 

Just now, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

To be fair we are seldom dominant in possession, at least in any meaningful way. 

In any case, its an entirely incorrect statement.

Whether considering international or club teams. Hardly any top teams play 3 centre backs. Never mind "most teams dominant in possession"

26 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yet yesterday, England, Italy, Spain, France and Germany didn't.

That’s as maybe, but international teams are always slower to adopt the latest trends in the club game.

Watch the Champions League clubs and you’ll see that nearly all of them play with this flexible outside CB in a 3 at the back system - they may not play it all the time, but they play it fairly regularly. Think Walker at City, Danilo at Juventus, Nacho at Real, Hermoso at Atletico, Mingueza at Barca... the list goes on. 

Football has developed loads of players recently that aren’t quite CBs and aren’t quite FBs. They’re good with the ball, not quite good enough at defending to play CB, but not quite athletic enough to play FB.

That’s what 3 at the back looks like in the modern game for a side that dominates the ball.

Just now, G51 said:

That’s as maybe, but international teams are always slower to adopt the latest trends in the club game.

Watch the Champions League clubs and you’ll see that nearly all of them play with this flexible outside CB in a 3 at the back system - they may not play it all the time, but they play it fairly regularly. Think Walker at City, Danilo at Juventus, Nacho at Real, Hermoso at Atletico, Mingueza at Barca... the list goes on. 

Football has developed loads of players recently that aren’t quite CBs and aren’t quite FBs. They’re good with the ball, not quite good enough at defending to play CB, but not quite athletic enough to play FB.

That’s what 3 at the back looks like in the modern game for a side that dominates the ball.

No they don't, its complete tripe

Mclaughlin

palmer

hendry 

mctominay

mckenna

robertson

Armstrong

mcginn

fraser 

dykes 

adams 

hopefully some of the strikers yet to score for us can get a goal , play mctominay at cb in a game like this incase he’s needed there in the future , Cooper should be in this squad along with either gilmour or Gauld , we really could do with a different right back to Palmer he’s not bad but nothing special how far must Patterson of rangers be to making this squad? Even Jason Naismith who’s been an absolute stand out both spells at county can’t be far away from the squad

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Remember when we played what was essentially one-at-the-back against Gibraltar, they got their first ever competitive goal in front of a stunned Hampden and then Strachan immediately changed it?  

Good times.

Just now, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Hardly any top teams? Apart from Atalanta, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Chelsea, West Ham, Atletico, Leipzig, Lens and Eintracht Frankfurt? So a third of all current top 6 teams in the 5 top leagues of Europe?

Top teams 🤣 West ham, lens and frankfurt 🤣 and 6th and 7th in the Italian league.

Your actually proving my point very well.

You're so thick it's painful to speak to.

🤣 honestly top teams, bloody hell.

Sure West ham and lens will be taking home the champions league shortly.

What i dont think you can grasp is. Im not saying 532 is a bad formation. And for teams like this playing alot of similar and superior teams. It can work very well.

The top teams like, psg, bayern, man City Liverpool, Real and so on. Dont play like this. For a reason.

They expect to dominate possession, not only in their own half.

What you're saying is "playing 3 CBs is a naturally defensive formation". Which is the calling card of a total moron.

The top teams do play like this.

You still haven't explained how Atalanta have become the most free-scoring, attacking team in Europe using this apparent defensive formation?

Top teams like atalanta, who have never won the serie a. 

They won the Italian Cup once in 1963.

They have never come remotely close to winning anything in Europe.

#TopTeam

You're not interested in discussing it because it completely obliterates your argument.

Have a nice day Bing. 🙂

Once again, I dont think you have fully understood.

If you think atalanta are one of the top teams that's fine by me. 

As I think they are nowhere near it, then 532 can be a great formation for them.

I'll give you one last chance Bing.

If 5atb is a defensive formation, how have Atalanta managed to record the 3rd highest goals per game ratio(behind PSG and Bayern) in Europe's top 5 leagues since the beginning of the 2019/20 season?

If you're not going to directly answer the question, don't bother replying at all. Thanks. 🙂

You can give me 1 or 100 chances. I couldn't care less. They play in a different league to those teams quoted. And are 4th in it.

Fact is their not a top team as you claimed.

You think 532 should be the formation we should play. Regardless of the competition. Or our previous performances. I think your wrong.

I expect Steve Clarke will not play 532 at home to the Faroes.

7 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It depends i suppose. Everyone would have their own interpretation.

I wouldn't have a team thats never won their country's top division as a top team personally.

Leicester are a top club then?

They played a 3-4-3 in their 3-1 win over Manchester United recently.