Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

He didn't get shots off though. He took 1.83 a game in the Championship. That's not a lot. A high-volume shot taker is someone like Griffiths, who takes 5.21 a game in the Premiership.

Scoring 22 goals in the Championship is virtually meaningless. There are loads of bad finishers who score goals in that league.

Using your own stats....he got 1.83 shots off a game in the Championship, scoring 22 goals.

He played 42 games that season. So thats 77 shots all season. 22 goals from 77 shots is 29% conversion rate. Thats excellent going.

Those stats suggest he is a good finisher. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?

6 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
23 minutes ago, G51 said:
He didn't get shots off though. He took 1.83 a game in the Championship. That's not a lot. A high-volume shot taker is someone like Griffiths, who takes 5.21 a game in the Premiership.
Scoring 22 goals in the Championship is virtually meaningless. There are loads of bad finishers who score goals in that league.

That last bit just sounds wild in every respect.

It's not that wild, it's not a good standard of football. David McGoldrick has had seasons in the Championship where he's scored 1 in 2, and he can't finish at all.

16 minutes ago, G51 said:

He had 2.19 per 90 that season, and has managed similar throughout his career even in the Premier League. It isn’t too dissimilar to Vardy (2.42) and Calvert-Lewin (2.59) this season - both players you would have down as goalscorers.

“Doesn’t get shots off” though.

16 minutes ago, G51 said:

This is wild. Thanks for answering the second question though.

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

Using your own stats....he got 1.83 shots off a game in the Championship, scoring 22 goals.

He played 42 games that season. So thats 77 shots all season. 22 goals from 77 shots is 29% conversion rate. Thats excellent going.

Those stats suggest he is a good finisher. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?

Or it suggests that his conversion rate was unsustainable, and he simply benefited from being lucky.

For some context on that conversion stat, only four players in the top five leagues have a better conversion rate than 29% this season.

Is there an argument for playing Tierney further forward, at least in certain games?

Some lad. He was immense tonight and had some great runs against Austria. Is he perhaps being held back by his defensive duties at times? He wants to run at folk and take them on and get crosses in to the box. Perhaps playing him as a more traditional winger in some games could be worth a shot.

Is that McGinn on 10 goals now? Only another 20 to equal the record! 

Adams' goal was great and he gives us that sort of threat, i.e. prepared to run and shoot from outside the box. I'm sure he's pinged in a few for Southampton that have been similar.

Dykes seemed a bit lost when he wasn't the focal point of the initial attack, i.e. he wasn't getting the ball fired at him and being asked to try and win things and try to hold it up. I'd question his effectiveness (but not his effort) in games like tonight. It was like he was unsure at times what he was needing to do and where he needed to be.

Unsure why anyone would defend McBurnie any longer. He's had plenty of game time for Scotland to show something and hasn't really done. Thanks for coming Oli but time to return to your life as feudal serf working the land. 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

As far as Scotland are concerned, they could be batting them in with a stauner for all I care, so I’m not getting the “bad finishers” remark - If they score goals they score goals, no? 🤔

22 goals in the English Championship is an excellent return. Probably a tougher, more competitive league than the one above it.

50 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I think ODonnell has been fine on the whole for Scotland.

He's not, and never will be, a world beater. But the guy works his arse off up and down the pitch all game.

He's had bad games and made mistakes but so has the two world class players we have on the other side.

He's also a big handsome b*****d.

I like O’Donnell and he’s done alright for Scotland so any criticism is harsh especially considering we’ve not been spoiled with natural contenders for that position and it having been a problem for fucking ages.

That said I do feel Aaron Hickey and now Nathan Patterson emerging give better options. Hickey could easily slot in anywhere across the back 3 or 5 and I’d much prefer to see him ahead of Grant Hanley in the back 3 unless we’re desperately needing his height or physicality which is becoming less and less of a thing. 

My only concern with Patterson in the near future would be game time for Rangers if Tav’s fit, but would imagine he’s shown enough already that some clubs will make an approach to take him on loan.

Edited by 8MileBU

Just now, craigkillie said:

Just popping back in to point out that one of our centre-halves set up three goals from open play.

Think you may have missed my post a bit earlier, I've got no problem admitting I got something wrong. Its healthy, you should try it.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Happy to admit I got it wrong tonight regarding the formation tonight.

Cant deny its worked very well.

For all John McGinn plays a deeper role at Villa we need to play him in an advanced role. Lying deep for us his decision making is poor and he gives the ball away far too cheaply. Further forward he's a huge asset.
As an aside, with regard to the deeper role I though Kenny McLean was really solid tonight. Obviously not the highest standard of opposition but he was calm, composed, happy to take the ball in confined spaces and kept possession really well. 

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Is there an argument for playing Tierney further forward, at least in certain games?

I don’t think there’s any need to. If Clarke sticks with the three across the back it allows both Tierney and McTominay to bring the ball out from the back (both very comfortable at doing so) and/or the freedom to push forward out of defence or sit deep however play dictates. 

Give or take a couple of minor changes/tweaks, that formation and line up tonight isn’t a kick in the arse off the team I’d pick if I were Steve Clarke.

Edited by 8MileBU

51 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Watching the sportscene highlights: McTominay "should of" scored, according to Michael Stewart.
Can someone please tell him? Totally rips my crust!

I wasn't watching it, otherwise I would of.

🤣

McGinn with 10 goals now. Looking like our main goal threat.

Good to see Adams up and running too and Fraser with another.

Hopefully Adams can keep up a 1 in 3 ratio or better, between him and McGinn we'd have a decent goal threat then especially with quite a few others able to chip in.