Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

All the bedwetters are talking about how "The Faroes aren't as bad as you think actually"  and "They've only lost one of their last nine games!"
Those games were against Andorra, Malta, Moldova and Latvia. As soon as they stopped playing other teams comprised of brickies and posties, and played a team of actual professional footballers in Austria, they got humped.
They're so small time, that googling "What are the Faroe Islands famous for?" gives you some patronising shite about how they're famous for being peaceful and hospitable.
This is a country with a population roughly similar to Orkney and Shetland combined. And I would expect any Scotland team to beat a combined Orkney and Shetland XI. We could even afford to play complete haddies like Craig Gordon and Stephen O'Donnell and still expect to win this game.
We're going to absolutely crush them. I'm going for Scotland to win 6-0, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we ended up surpassing our 11-0 win vs Ireland in 1901. If you can't be hubristic when you're playing this collection of utter no-marks, then when can you be?

That's exactly the sort of attitude we should go in with. Take complete control of the game and fucking lamp them.

9 hours ago, Est. 1893 said:

For what it's worth on the whole 3 at the back debate... Belgium, ranked number 1 in the world, beat Belarus 8-0 playing 3 at the back (as they often do). They didn't even bother playing De Bruyne or Lukaku either. 

I'd go with something like this (potentially Mcgregor/Armstrong instead of Fleck/Christie) 

Screenshot_20210331-015042_BBC Sport.jpg

I like that line up, and i keep saying it i really don't think its about the formation, its more about the way in which we apply it, if we started games with more intensity and higher up the pitch we'd probably have won at least 1 of the last 2. we need to be on the front foot a bit more.

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

That's exactly the sort of attitude we should go in with. Take complete control of the game and fucking lamp them.

It's 20-odd Scandinavian farmers sailing to Glasgow in a longship. Maybe in 700 A.D. that would be a scary prospect, but nowadays we'll simply point and laugh at them as Ryan Fraser skelps in his fourth goal of the game.

1 minute ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Most of the team they'll be putting out look like they'll be full-time professionals, so they're no San Marino or Andorra. 

Appreciate wiki might be wrong but most of their squad play for semi-professional sides. They've got one guy who plays in the Bundesliga and the rest play in the Faroes, Norway or Iceland, with one guy playing in Ireland. Trying to dress them up as anything other than canon fodder is a bit of a stretch and we should absolutely be turning them over with a few goals to spare at home.

31 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

As for the Faroes, it's clearly extremely daft to think they're the Faroes of 15-20 years ago and we're going to roll them over 8-0 with ease. Most of the team they'll be putting out look like they'll be full-time professionals, so they're no San Marino or Andorra. 

A 3-1 loss to Austria is not a "humping" BTW. 

^ wee team found

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Paul Lambert on the radio this morning describing the Faroes as "a good team", while highlighting the need for "patience".  

Why do so many with a platform regard it as their job to elevate our opponents, even when doing so is absurd?

It's a defensive cultural thing in Scottish football.

If we want to be taken seriously, we need to start stating facts.  Have the Faroes improved?  Yes, most definitely.

Should we be beating them comfortably if we want to even come third in the group, never mind getting into a  play off?  Yes.

We shouldn't need patience.  We should be taking the game to every team below us, rather than letting them dictate what we do.  

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I don't really agree with that either. We have a good midfield but it's not as good as Belgiums. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We don't have a good midfield? 

It is literally been our midfield that has failed us in our last 3 trips to Israel - our best unit under Clarke has been what people class as our worst. 

It has had to be as it has nothing in front of it to protect them.  Against both Israel and Austria there were times where it was 6 or 7 on 4/5 with our midfield a further 10-15 yards back.   Against the better nations they are chasing shadows constantly.   

Just now, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Like I said, most of their starting XI is full-time. Their squad has 11 of them. So you're only kidding yourself on if you think they're San Marino or Andorra level. They're only a ballhair away from being a pot 4 team.

Its a literal fact.

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

should probably point out that the "bundesliga" player for the faroes:

1) plays for arminia bielefeld, who are 17th out of 18th in the league

2)  has played a total of 53 minutes across 5 sub appearances

3) last played on the 31st october

4) has made one bench since then, on the 16th december. rest of the time he hasn't even been in the matchday squad.

5 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Like I said, most of their starting XI is full-time. Their squad has 11 of them. So you're only kidding yourself on if you think they're San Marino or Andorra level. They're only a ballhair away from being a pot 4 team.

Full time for who though? Dundalk and some Norwegian/Icelandic top flight mob? Steven Lennon formerly of Rangers played with Dundalk then made the move the Icelandic top flight where he's apparently done very well. That's the sort of level of player we're discussing here. 

This "nearly" pot 4 team could only muster a draw with a Moldova side that was horsed 8-0 by the group leaders. I'm really not kidding myself on to say we should win this comfortably.