Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

7 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Load of fuckin pish they have a population the same as Perth. They're absolute horse manure whipping boys.Utter cannon fodder for any decent team and any team that takes itself remotely seriously should be brushing them aside with ease.

And this 'plays in the Bundesliga' pish has played one game in the Bundesliga in his entire life. We have 18 year olds who turned down Bayern Munich and are still three years away from our squad.

The Faroes are utter shit, literal fishermen and postmen. This is the sort of mindset we need to get past woaah the Faroes no easy game aye right they're fuckin nonsense that our u18s should demolish and we should be looking to absolutely batter them.

Perth just won our League Cup 

As already stated it would be utter lunacy to play with three centre backs in a game where you want your most creative players on the field. After Clarke’s performance last night I wouldn’t be surprised though. 

Marshall 

Tierney        Hanley       McKenna    Robertson

Armstrong    McTominay   McGinn   Fraser

Adams    Dykes 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's just possible you've been a bit whooshed here mate.

Oops.

I think for this game 4 at the back and give Tierney and Robertson half each.

That way you get the best out of both of them and they both get a wee rest instead of sending them back to their clubs knackered.

Not billed as a battle to see who gets the first choice slot, just being sensible with them after both played tough 90's.

11 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Im very much looking forward to @craigkillie coming on to explain that going with 5 at the back is the way to go here.

I'd definitely want three at the back for this game, it gives us an extra attacking player. This is a game where someone like Hendry, a bad defender but someone who is good on the ball, would actually be good on that right hand side role - you've got both him and Tierney stepping out with the ball and try to overload them with options when they pack the midfield.

This will be a 1-1 draw.

We'll finally make the breakthrough after about an hour and then Clarke will take off our lone forward for Kenny McLean and they'll score a late equaliser from a corner as we sit far too deep in the last 20 minutes.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I'd definitely want three at the back for this game, it gives us an extra attacking player. This is a game where someone like Hendry, a bad defender but someone who is good on the ball, would actually be good on that right hand side role - you've got both him and Tierney stepping out with the ball and try to overload them with options when they pack the midfield.

Can you run through quickly how having more guys standing furtherest back in our team. Bar the goalkeeper. Would give us more attacking players.

Would you still be absolutely astonished if we don't go with 3 centre backs.

8 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Can you run through quickly how having more guys standing furtherest back in our team. Bar the goalkeeper. Would give us more attacking players.

I thought I explained it in the post, but I'll repeat it again anyway. The back three system Scotland have played for the last year, which I was initially critical of but have come around to, allows the wing-backs to basically play as midfielders, basically giving you either a 3-4-3, 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 depending on the personnel. In addition to that, if you have Hendry and Tierney (or McTominay and Tierney) you've got two centre-backs who are comfortable progressing out of defence with the ball, and indeed are encouraged to do so. That gives a lot of flexibility in the number of players in attack and the angles which we can attack from.

The Faroes are clearly going to sit back and be stuffy, so having a system where they can't really match us up man so easily seems like a good idea. The change that you might make would be to have Fraser as RWB rather than O'Donnell for a game like this (ideally it would be Forrest if he was in the squad). If you play a back four then your centre backs are always more reluctant to get forward and join the midfield because the system doesn't offer them the same amount of freedom. You saw how restricted Tierney was last night in the second half when he basically had to play as only a defender.

Getting tied up in "oh he's a defender" is unhelpful, you want to be looking at what the player does for the team. It's just the same as people judging centre-forwards entirely on goals, it's not how football works in 2021, particularly when you don't actually have any centre-forwards who are going to be regular goalscorers at this level. It's why I felt McTominay should have been kept as a centre-back even if he had been playing very well for Man Utd in midfield. I was revisiting that opinion on the basis of how well he played on Thursday, but I thought he was very poor last night which definitely makes me think we should consider pushing him back when Jack is available.

It shouldn't really matter whether we play a three or a four against the Faroes, we should be winning anyway, but if we want to play the three at the Euros then it would make sense to get a bit of continuity. It's not like playing a back four against a Pot 5 team is really going to help us decide whether it's something to switch back to later on.

Suggestions of binning the formation we've adopted and finally made some stuttering steps forward with are a bit presumptious.

We should be winning this regardless but should be using it as an opportunity to develop the 5-3-2 as a formation that isn't just a backs to the wall job. For instance and as already explained the formation gives us massive license to push players into midfield and this is something we haven't done enough of up until this point, hence appearing passive at times. This is an opportunity to develop that. Whether it's McTominay, Tierney and/or Hendry at least 1 of the back 3 should be looking to push forward into the holding role releasing the entire midfield 3 forward when we have the ball. The wingbacks you'd expect to be getting g well up the pitch as well.

The reality is the Faroes are so poor that we won't learn much either way but we don't ave the luxury of time  before the Euros to write it off as a 'start 3 up front and hump them' job.

23 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Suggestions of binning the formation we've adopted and finally made some stuttering steps forward with are a bit presumptious.

We should be winning this regardless but should be using it as an opportunity to develop the 5-3-2 as a formation that isn't just a backs to the wall job. For instance and as already explained the formation gives us massive license to push players into midfield and this is something we haven't done enough of up until this point, hence appearing passive at times. This is an opportunity to develop that. Whether it's McTominay, Tierney and/or Hendry at least 1 of the back 3 should be looking to push forward into the holding role releasing the entire midfield 3 forward when we have the ball. The wingbacks you'd expect to be getting g well up the pitch as well.

The reality is the Faroes are so poor that we won't learn much either way but we don't ave the luxury of time  before the Euros to write it off as a 'start 3 up front and hump them' job.

Or we develop two definitive formations/styles of play dependent on who we are playing...

A back three means we have less attacking players on the field, when we need to break a team down -  it’s that simple. 

Shouts that playing an extra central defender makes us more attacking, as it means they can step into midfield, as opposed to having an actual attacking player on the pitch instead are fucking wild. Do we want Jack Hendry stepping into midfield, or an extra attacking midfielder that we have plenty of.

Edited by No_Problemo