Footballers who are average as people

Met Ryan McGowan, Skacel and Gary Locke all very sound and more than happy for a chat, seen loads of Hearts and Hibs players whilst up town in my younger days but never bothered them as I imagined it would be a right pain in the arse if some wee p***k come up and bothered you when you were trying to get your Nat King.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Met Jim Smith (ex-Dundee )in a few work meetings.

He seemed fine.

Jim was (briefly) a coach of mine at a junior side. Have subsequently met him through work a couple of times (he worked with under privileged kids to keep busy after retiring from the polis) and bumped into him on a few other occasions. Absolutely great guy.*

*For a Dee, obvs

Edited by Junior_Arab

Met Russell Anderson a couple of times - once when we played in Maribor and he was very chatty and interested in us, where the good pubs were etc.

Then another time a few years later at a Hall of Fame event when he was aloof and distant.

I was a lot more pished the second time which might help explain the difference.

On 08/06/2022 at 18:25, Jinky67 said:

Andy Seaton ex Falkirk has just started work next to me, genuinely lovely guy and still half decent at 5’s

He er, "filled out" after stopping playing didn't he? 

I've met Alan Main and Stevie Kirk through work and both were pleasant enough, without troubling MENSA. I was genuinely pally (Oooh fwends... Perth nitespot fwends...) with Nick Dasovic when he played with Saints and used to scoot down to the Ice Factory of a Saturday evening with him on occasion.

On 08/06/2022 at 19:51, Empty It said:

Met Ryan McGowan, Skacel and Gary Locke all very sound and more than happy for a chat, seen loads of Hearts and Hibs players whilst up town in my younger days but never bothered them as I imagined it would be a right pain in the arse if some wee p***k come up and bothered you when you were trying to get your Nat King.

Gary Locke is a good lad had a rake of pints with him in Belfast when saints and hearts were both doing pre season there. Craig Levein was an utter c**t on the same trip

Gary Locke is a good lad had a rake of pints with him in Belfast when saints and hearts were both doing pre season there. Craig Levein was an utter c**t on the same trip
I met him in someone's back garden when he was doing a tour of Bonnyrigg with the scottish cup, fair to say he was plastered and in good form. Also done a bit of work at Tynecastle and he's the one guy that stopped everytime and had a chat with everyone whereas most current players and Budge just wandered past without much acknowledgement.

1967, Leeds came to Ayrshire to play Killie in the European Fairs Cup semifinal.

My dad took me to the Marine Hotel in Troon where they were staying for autographs.

I was 10 and can still vividly remember being enthralled by talking to Billy Bremner who was playing a game of putting with his feet, with a fag hanging out of his mouth.

Brilliant fella who took time to talk to an awestruck wee boy with pen and paper in his shaking hand.

I also remember calling him for everything at the game the following night, dirty wee b*****d.

Know a good few ex hibees.  The most average guy probably is Gary Smith.  Good guy stays down Joppa way.  Not the most interesting to have a pint with though.  Soundest person I’ve met from football is Kevin Twaddle when I played against his pool team.  Could listen to his chat all night.  Ian Murray is a really good guy too.  Gary Caldwell as can be imagined is a complete tosser.

17 hours ago, Meesterrodriguez said:

He gave me and my mate a tenner in around 1995 to go get him sweets (In a non peado way) so always liked the boy. 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

1967, Leeds came to Ayrshire to play Killie in the European Fairs Cup semifinal.

My dad took me to the Marine Hotel in Troon where they were staying for autographs.

I was 10 and can still vividly remember being enthralled by talking to Billy Bremner who was playing a game of putting with his feet, with a fag hanging out of his mouth.

Brilliant fella who took time to talk to an awestruck wee boy with pen and paper in his shaking hand.

I also remember calling him for everything at the game the following night, dirty wee b*****d.

Great post HtG. One of my favourite ever Killie games. Rugby Park was rammed on a lovely sunny night. You had eleven dirty b……………d’s to chose from. Even Sprake the goalie in his bright green jersey and his mop of blond hair, he introduced Scottish football to time wasting by goalies and boy was he good at it!

Met Ian Wright at Heathrow Airport. Spent 5 mins or so talking to my boy about all things football. Got a pic as well. Absolute gentleman. Aparantly knows who Morton are although had to ask where in the league we were haha. Was on the same flight as Wille Collum and Bobby Davro. 

Spoke to Brian Graham a few weeks ago when my boy was playing against his boy. He asked if I was one of the ones that shout abuse at him when he plays against Morton. Probably was my answer. Sound guy. 

Austin McCann is one of my boys football coaches at St Mirren, always pleasant enough to talk to.

My mum works alongside Jim Goodwin's Mrs. Never got to meet him myself but he signed my St Mirren League cup final shirt for me which had added £3 to the value.