Footballers who are average as people

Not me directly, my friend bid and won a round of golf with crisp swindling whore Gary Lineker. Before they set off Gary's PA I assume, approached them and set out the ground rules, don't talk to him directly etc. My mate said "look if its all the same with you, we'd like to enjoy our round so you can tell Gary it's cool" and pied him.

A year or so later he bid at a charity auction for a round with Alan Shearer, said he was a gentleman, spent the whole round telling anecdotes, really engaging and interested in what they had to say too. In the bar covered all drinks and meal.

Met Conrad Balatoni on a night out in Edinburgh University student union. He was alright although, completely unprompted, he offered to help find me someone to “get yer hole with.” He also looked at me very knowingly when I called Gabriel Piccolo shite.

James Craigen was there too, and he was a top bloke. Happy to chat, and took a steaming nobody offering him tactical advice extremely well. 

48 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Met Conrad Balatoni on a night out in Edinburgh University student union. He was alright although, completely unprompted, he offered to help find me someone to “get yer hole with.” He also looked at me very knowingly when I called Gabriel Piccolo shite.

James Craigen was there too, and he was a top bloke. Happy to chat, and took a steaming nobody offering him tactical advice extremely well. 

Did you get your hole?

John Lambie stayed next door to my mum and dad when i was a youngster growing up in Whitburn, Danny Lennon lived just down the road too. Also saw Bertie Auld playing the puggy machine in the Whitburn masonic, no idea wtf he was doing there, apart from playing the puggy. Brian Rice lived not far from my mate in Whitburn too.

Was tiling the roof in a site at Mount Vernon when Mo Johnson drove up in his car, he had just bought the house and was having a look at it being built, he playing for Celtic at the time, and my elder Rangers supporting brother who was working with me wanted to make a leak in the roof. Had to check it over when we were finished to make sure he hadn't as i think he was serious.:unsure:

Was also tiling a roof in Bathgate next door to where Dave McPherson lived, not sure if he was at Hearts or Rangers at the time but remember seeing his missus hanging out a Scotland strip on the washing line, was tempted to nick it.:lol:

Worked on a job in Bathgate for Wullie Polland's brother and Wullie was the joiner, must've been in his late 60's and was as fit as a fiddle, putting up joists and lugging other heavy timber about, nice guy too. 

Jim Hamilton was mates with a guy that brought him into the Deans bowling club in Livingston after a game, i didn't talk to him but noticed he was just drinking water, either that or it was a pint of vodka or some other clear liquid. 

Passed David Moyes on the staircase in Livi's stadium, when he managed Real Sociadad, we had just played them in a  pre season friendly and i was in the hospitality for the game, just exchanged brief pleasantries, seemed a nice guy.

Brian McPhee was top notch talking to my daughter and her friend at an open day at Livi's stadium, posed for photos with them too, as did Jim Leishman, met various other Livi players and playing staff but those two were up there as the friendliest/nicest.

59 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Met Jim Smith (ex-Dundee )in a few work meetings.

He seemed fine.

Comes from the same town as me but I didn't know him as he was slightly older than me,  Met him on holiday in Paignton about 30 years ago - I think he was with Montrose at the time as I remember discussing Ivo Den Bieman at the time who had just signed for Dundee. 

Alex McLeish is also a nice guy, who still keeps in touch with some of the guys he went through school with. 

Met Paul McGowan once carrying a large amount of notes running through the Hilltown. 

I said 'Hi Gowser. How's it going!?'

He said 'Not too bad pal. Which way did the police go?'

He was wearing a balaclava and seemed a bit stressed but was pleasant enough. 

Met a few ex players through work stuff. 

Scott Severin seemed sound. Lee Mair seemed a bit Herbalife. 

Alan Main was brand new despite rumours suggesting otherwise. 

The legend that is Hamish McAlpine gave me a Tannadice tour and introduced me to Jim McLean which was an amazing childhood memory.