Footballers who are average as people

We once took a detour to a golf course around the Cults area on a Sunday morning returning from a boozy day at the Banchory Fair around the mid to late 1990s.

The detour was necessitated by the appearance of Jimmy Hill & Mike Reid (then known as Frank Butcher) at some kind of celebrity thing.

I got their autographs but can't remember anything else apart from Reid's gruff laugh and voice.

Unfortunately, I threw the autographs out and then they both passed away.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I once met Davie Cooper around 1990 signing autographs for something outside InterSport in the Trinity Centre in Aberdeen.

He was pleasant enough but he was working.

I still can't believe an ex-Oldco player was put on display in Aberdeen like that.

I got his autograph but unfortunately threw it out and then he passed away.

13 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was outside Sleazy's when the footballer Declan McManus passed. I could've said some Elvis Costello related joke but instead just said, "Are you Declan McManus? “ and he smiled and said,"Aye". 

I've been waiting two or three years to retell that but could never find the right situation so thanks for this wonderfully mundane thread... 

If only someone could have said to him, "we would very much like you to join us at Stamford Bridge, Mr McManus. Is there anything we could do to persuade you ?" .

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We once took a detour to a golf course around the Cults area on a Sunday morning returning from a boozy day at the Banchory Fair around the mid to late 1990s.

The detour was necessitated by the appearance of Jimmy Hill & Mike Reid (then known as Frank Butcher) at some kind of celebrity thing.

I got their autographs but can't remember anything else apart from Reid's gruff laugh and voice.

Unfortunately, I threw the autographs out and then they both passed away.

I've never forgiven myself for losing Frankie Howerd's autograph.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Nothing embarrassing about Ocean Colour Scene imo.  They've got some decent songs.  Hundred Mile High City for one.

Get Blown Away; same album. Fucking brilliant. They were labelled as dadrock in the 90s so I guess they're grandad rock now.

Andy Watson lived near me when he played for Hibs. Me and a mate passed him in the street and I said "There's Andy Watson. He plays for Hibs. He's shite". I think he heard as he looked a bit pained but didn't say anything. Bang average really.

I used to rent a flat off former St Johnstone and Kilmarnock player Danny Invincibile. He kept the place in decent nick and think the only times I had cause to speak to him were around moving in and moving out. Not much else to report really.

Was swimming at Perth Leisure Pool in about 1989 when I happened to pass Ian Heddle.

Falkirk had beaten St Johnstone the week before so I went "Wayyyy Ian, pumped last week yaaaas" or something equally harmless but banterrific.

He gave me the V's but was laughing at the same time so that's pretty average.

Saw Maurice Malpas there too at around the same time, and he was ridiculously tanned. Like Cuprinol colour.

Dyron Daal was okay when he emerged that one time from Cookies blazing drunk and nearly knocked me over. I think he apologized but I couldn't understand a work he was saying.

• 1 year later...

Met Andy Goram on a very busy train to Glasgow a few years ago. There was this guy standing a few feet from us in quite expensive looking clothes, incongruously swigging from a bottle of red the entire journey, and only as we were pulling into Glasgow did I realise who he was. 

I'm not in the habit of approaching 'heroes' and so on, but as we were getting off at Queen's St I couldn't help myself. He was very amiable, full of the joys, and when he found out I was a Dandy he sang Jim Leighton's praises and revealed that this was him returning from some 'Pro-Am' in Aberdeen with a lot of ex pros. He was so affable in fact my partner starting huffing and puffing when I kept chatting to him. 'But that's Andy Goram' I said as we walked away on the Platform, to her bemusement.

Genuinely saddened to hear of his health issues just now.

Saw Ross Callaghan the other day, he let me out of a junction and I gave him the thumbs up, even though he plays for a terrible football club.