Footballers who are average as people

I’m going to watch every second of every match we play in the euros. No toilet breaks. No drinks breaks. Gonna record them too because it could be another 23 years. 
they certainly don’t have grounds to be big headed in any pubs or petrol stations that’s for sure

Many years ago when I was 8 years old I asked kenny dalglish for his autograph. He said no. He was only joking but when you’re 8 you don’t get dry adult humour do you? He went on to do the autograph so okay in the end

I once met Derek Riordan in a nightclub in Edinburgh.

I was about 19/20 and I asked for a picture he said “aye mate, give me a minute though”

About 20 minutes later he was obviously leaving the nightclub and before leaving he said to me “sorry mate”

I collected vim Jansens rented tele when he left Celtic, he went to his pocket to give me a tip but had no cash, oh how we laughed. This could’ve easily ended up in either of the other 2 threads on the go, if he hadn’t went into his pocket or if he had cash on him, small margins. 

4 hours ago, true fan said:

Many years ago when I was 8 years old I asked kenny dalglish for his autograph. He said no. He was only joking but when you’re 8 you don’t get dry adult humour do you? He went on to do the autograph so okay in the end

I met Kenny Dalglish outside hampden when I was a wee boy. I can’t remember what he was doing, maybe a pundit, but loads of kids waited ages for his autograph and he ran into his car and wasn’t for signing anything. An older lad sat on his bike in front of Dalglish’s Merc so he couldn’t drive away and wouldn’t move until he signed them all. I remember him saying something like, “not cool Kenny, they’ve all waited for ages” to which Dalglish mumbled back “I just want to get home to the baby”. 

So there you go. 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

I met Kenny Dalglish outside hampden when I was a wee boy. I can’t remember what he was doing, maybe a pundit, but loads of kids waited ages for his autograph and he ran into his car and wasn’t for signing anything. An older lad sat on his bike in front of Dalglish’s Merc so he couldn’t drive away and wouldn’t move until he signed them all. I remember him saying something like, “not cool Kenny, they’ve all waited for ages” to which Dalglish mumbled back “I just want to get home to the baby”. 

So there you go. 

The image of King Kenny basically being held hostage by some bruiser of a 16 year old on a chopper whilst he makes him sign autographs has me in kinks for some reason. 

The added tragedy of him trying to get home to help with a baby makes it funnier, somehow. 

I was outside Sleazy's when the footballer Declan McManus passed. I could've said some Elvis Costello related joke but instead just said, "Are you Declan McManus? “ and he smiled and said,"Aye". 

I've been waiting two or three years to retell that but could never find the right situation so thanks for this wonderfully mundane thread... 

I interviewed Colin Healy once. It was a Q&A thing for a matchday programme while he was on loan at Coventry from Celtic. He just shrugged his shoulders at every question and just kept saying 'Ah, just put anytin...'

They weren't the sort of questions you could make up answers to. Worst interview ever. He was an awright guy though.

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Only footballing person of note I've met is Berti Vogts. Can't remember much about him at all tbh.

In a Munich beer hall when Berti was manager and one of the German lads said no one rated him in Germany, so to prove it he got up and shouted does anyone rate Berti Voghts. Nobody answered.

Used to work with Jim McCann the Stranraer player, we played them away and as he was warming up I asked for his autograph, he said he was going to kick my c**t in on Monday at work but he was only joking. Oh the banter.

Used to have a storage unit in Edinburgh. Locking up one day, along came Craig Gordon, carrying a decidedly auld-man-ish leather recliner chair. We nodded a polite hello and I wondered why the f**k he a: had such a tasteless thing and b: why it warranted storing it when the storage unit probably cost 10x pm what the chair was worth. 

10 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I spoke to Jim Leighton once and thought he was fairly dour. Not rude or obnoxious or anything, but just exactly as he had come across on the rare times I had seen or heard him doing media. Fair enough, I suppose. 

I've had two encounters with Jim Leighton...

Once coming out of AECC after a gig in 1997 or 98 (I'm embarrassed to say it was Ocean Colour Scene). He was holding his daughter's hand as he left, and I said something to his daughter along the lines of, "don't worry, you're in the safest hands in Europe" and he glared at me, which I thought was fair enough as it could have been construed that I was being irritating (let the chap go about his business without comment ye dick).

The next time was in 2009 in Olomouc, Czech Republic. We turned a corner and there was Leighton. It was a beautiful day weather wise and my mate asked if you could have his picture taken with him, and he jovially said, "yeah, sure". I should have enquired if he had enjoyed Ocean Colour Scene eleven years prior.

So neither really good or bad with Leighton for me

Edited by Bogbrush1903