Footballers who ARE nice people.

Jim Leishman is a good guy. The first time we (Bully Wee United) played Dunfermline supporters after reforming in about 2008, we went to one of the bars at EEP and Jim did a speech before the big teams played. Afterwards he spent some time going around us all having a chat and some banter. Seemed a genuinely really nice guy.

Danny Lennon is a gentleman as well. He always makes time to mix and chat with fans pre and post match. 

Tom Brighton is another one who’s a genuinely nice guy and very down to earth considering the level he once played at. 

18 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Rab Douglas. 

I was about 20 year old. Loved him in his time at Dens and always (still do) get a bit giddy when I speak to him in the pub or gym. Anyway, one of the first times I met him was in the pub and he come in with his family and friends, the pub is fucking hoaching and unbeknown to me, a few of my mates have went and told him I'm a huge fan. I'm standing at the bar waiting to get served and when I do I hear "I'll get them." turn around, it's Rab. 

"Hi, Mr Alli. Big fan, I'll pay for you and your friends drinks, can I get a photo with you too?" 

:lol:

Still got it on my iPad.

Edit : just seen @Hammer Jag post about Brown. Had a discussion with Rab when he'd just left Dens the second time around. Could see the anger building as he was talking to me. Quickly nipped the convo in the bud and left him to throw weights about himself. 

:lol: something about the way you worded this made me genuinely forget what thread I was reading and honestly expected it to end with you and Rab becoming an item. Fair play, like.

My old man was struck by a weird Illness (guillamme barré syndrome) and ended up in hospital for a bit. A Dunfermline player was seeing one of the nurses and put a word in with then manager Bert Paton. Bert came to visit him in hospital and they struck up a friendship. They were equally mad/eccentric. It would be weird coming home to find Bert sitting having a coffee like a normal human (for he was a bit of a god-like figure to me at the time). 

Guest Bob Mahelp

The part of me that is a big believer in the fact that most humans are fundamentally decent, also believes that applies to footballers. 

Take a 100 people off this chat, and 98 will be good, honest, decent people. The other 2 will be Rangers fans, obviously. 

The same principle applies to footballers. 

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I've met a number of football players and managers in various capacities and all of them have been positive and engaging people (I can't think of one I've met who I've disliked, to be honest) but the one who stands head and shoulders above everyone else is Alloa Athletic captain Andy Graham. He's the most charismatic person I've ever met, an absolute titan, and I can see why everyone talks so highly of him. Thoroughly kind and helpful too.

^^^pumped Andy Graham IMO

44 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The part of me that is a big believer in the fact that most humans are fundamentally decent, also believes that applies to footballers. 

Take a 100 people off this chat, and 98 will be good, honest, decent people. The other 2 will be Rangers fans, obviously. 

Paul Paton is a 1 in 50 is what you're saying? 

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The Andy Gorams?

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Russell Latapy, Guillame Beuzelin, Ivan Sproule and Bruce Anderson are all sound guys. Bumped into Liam Henderson at the gym a few times when he lived in Livingston, always happy enough for a blether. Rowan Vine was an arrogant p***k.  Not a footballer but met Josh Taylor at Edinburgh Airport once and he was a class act. 

When Andy Smith joined Airdrie he moved in to a flat in the town centre. There was a bit of role reversal at first as Andy would be out talking to everyone and anyone that bumped in to him. He's always been a good guy and was liked at every club. Still coaching for the SFA in the area and just as popular with those who work with him.

9 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

My old man was struck by a weird Illness (guillamme barré syndrome) and ended up in hospital for a bit. A Dunfermline player was seeing one of the nurses and put a word in with then manager Bert Paton. Bert came to visit him in hospital and they struck up a friendship. They were equally mad/eccentric. It would be weird coming home to find Bert sitting having a coffee like a normal human (for he was a bit of a god-like figure to me at the time). 

I had the other variant of that (Miller Fisher Syndrome) in 2019. Horrible illnesses. Hope your old man made a full recovery.

57 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

When Andy Smith joined Airdrie he moved in to a flat in the town centre. There was a bit of role reversal at first as Andy would be out talking to everyone and anyone that bumped in to him. He's always been a good guy and was liked at every club. Still coaching for the SFA in the area and just as popular with those who work with him.

I’ve bumped into him at the Ravenscraig a few times when he’s been doing his coaching and I’ve been attempting to play 7s with guys from work. A nice big guy and he was class for us in probably the best Clyde team in my lifetime!

18 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I had the other variant of that (Miller Fisher Syndrome) in 2019. Horrible illnesses. Hope your old man made a full recovery.

Glad you’re doing at least well enough to post on here! Horrible illness. My mum saw him staggering about and thought he was jaiked but it turned out it was the nerves in his legs packing up. 

They caught it before it was too late and he was mentally fine and live a normal life but left his heart weakened and he dropped dead a year or two later. He was just back from playing golf so died happy anyway! 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I hired a kilt once (Dunfermline Athletic tartan) for a university ball. A proper me too moment from the past as endless posh English girls would constantly grab the todger. Anyway, the boy in the shop said Andy Smith had just dropped it back. The next day I had a terrible rash all over my legs and groin. Not sure if it was due to Andy, the kilt, or one of the Felicity/Veriity/Lady such and such types to blame.

Fortunate enough to meet a few Henrik Larsson was an absolute gent, met him in the Italian Centre Xmas 99 when he was recovering from a broken leg and noticed my brother was wearing a Celtic umbro jacket and was happy to chat with us, legend.

young Kieran Tierney also is a class act, I worked with his sister and occasionally used to pick her up and drop her off from work, KT was still in the youth team and it wouldn't be unusual to see him on the street in his Celtic gear scudding a ball off the lockups. Met him a few years after in the RCH when my wee boy was having an op and he was just a different class, i genuinely hope this kid reaches the very very top.

I also used to live on the same street as Jose Quitongo in Wishaw, the man is a local living legend. Such a nice guy he was always out running 😀

i trained Jordan White for Sky in what must have been Summer 14, seemed a decent lad also however left after a few weeks as he was offered a full time contract somewhere, Livi rings a bell

Edited by Jinky67

22 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Glad you’re doing at least well enough to post on here! Horrible illness. My mum saw him staggering about and thought he was jaiked but it turned out it was the nerves in his legs packing up. 

They caught it before it was too late and he was mentally fine and live a normal life but left his heart weakened and he dropped dead a year or two later. He was just back from playing golf so died happy anyway! 

Sorry to hear that, mate. At least he recovered enough to keep up the golf!

I had similar symptoms, had no balance whatsoever and nearly decked it getting out of bed. That and my speech went, thought I had taken a stroke to be honest!

Luckily I’ve made a full recovery with no obvious lasting effects. I was 28 when I developed it from food poisoning (campylobacter from chicken on a dominos pizza, so aye, never have a dominos!!) so young and fit enough to recover well.

6 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Sorry to hear that, mate. At least he recovered enough to keep up the golf!

I had similar symptoms, had no balance whatsoever and nearly decked it getting out of bed. That and my speech went, thought I had taken a stroke to be honest!

Luckily I’ve made a full recovery with no obvious lasting effects. I was 28 when I developed it from food poisoning (campylobacter from chicken on a dominos pizza, so aye, never have a dominos!!) so young and fit enough to recover well.

Morten Wieghorst, ex Celtic and Denmark, had it as well. It’s probably hard to detect in Scottish folk seeing as the first symptoms are usually staggering about and slurring your words!