Footballers who ARE nice people.

Alan McGregor's daughter goes to the same gymnastics class (or did) as mine and he always seems like a nice guy despite his on field angry man persona.  Always got time for any of the kids that want an autograph or a picture.

I'm on very cursory "alright mate" nodding terms with him, so he's basically my best pal.

18 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Alan McGregor's daughter goes to the same gymnastics class (or did) as mine and he always seems like a nice guy despite his on field angry man persona.  Always got time for any of the kids that want an autograph or a picture.

I'm on very cursory "alright mate" nodding terms with him, so he's basically my best pal.

KB Jr: “But daddy, I don’t even like gymnastics! Please don’t make me go!”

KB “Shut it. You’re going like it or not

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Saw Tom Boyd mentioned earlier. Motherwell fans don't really have a great opinion of him despite him being the cup winning captain. 

Was going to say the same - given that he was at 'Well for almost 10 years, picked up the only cup any of us have ever seen and was a genuinely excellent player - he is pretty much persona non grata amongst supporters that are old enough - due to being a bit of a dick (and probably for going full Celtic). Guys that have done a lot less are club legends and he never gets as much as a fleeting mention these days.

Met Chris Millar (ex St Johnstone) after a gig a few years back while I was steaming and he was really sound, was happy to talk away to a pished highlander about football for ten minutes so fair play to him. Ivan Sproule is also the most spot on guy you'll meet, offered me and my mates a lift home from Victoria Park after a game away to hibs.

I met Tommy Coyne one night at a MFC related thing. An absolute gentleman. I'm generally not fussed if I see a footballer now (more often than not they are 10 years or so younger than me) but TC was my childhood hero. I'd never felt nervous having a picture taken before! 

My mate and I had a great wee 5 minute chat with Tommy, where he spoke highly of his time at Motherwell. We asked who he preferred playing up front with, Arnott & Coyle (was Dougie, just!) and if he knew how many of the Ireland '94 World Cup squad, that he was in, were actually born in Ireland. He didn't know, but wasn't surprised to later learn that it was only 8 of the 22 man squad. 

I fucking love Tommy Coyne. 

Manuel Pascali - always a lot of time for fans. Remember an event for James Fowler's testimonial and the Killie Standard guy was trying to get a picture of Paska. Kept getting ruined by him inviting drunk fans into the frame

Chris Sutton - Comes across as a miserable b*****d but think he's just got a very dry sense of humour. Met him at some sponsor's event he was doing and he stood talking to a few of us about football for a good 45 mins. Also full of praise for the Killie Pie.

Kris Boyd - more of a second hand one but remember him being in the Park Hotel, was eating lunch with his wife so my mates and I opted not to bother him. Some guy went up and started giving it "Boydy how did you get a wife like that? You're punching son." Boyd sort of laughed it off but it was clearly a complete stranger, and tbh he'd have been within his rights to tell him to f**k off.

Jim Craig of Lisbon Lions fame - just a properly lovely guy

Shaun Maloney visited a friend of mine in hospital 5 or 6 times when he was unfortunately in his final days battling Cystic Fibrosis. Maloney also attended the funeral and gave a signed Celtic top into our local pub to be raffled with the proceeds going to a CF charity. When my friend was in better health he had got him into a hospitality suite at a Celtic legends game a few years ago, and got pictures with Henrik Larsson, Petrov and many more, which my pal was absolutely buzzing about. A good guy. 

59 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Met and spoke to quite a few players who have been lovely. I have never needed or asked for more than a chat. 

I've really only met players either at the old Football Aid events (weren't they fantastic?) or at end of season dinners / testimonials.  Of course that means they've all been on their best behaviour.

I was especially impressed by Terry Butcher, who was manager for one of the Footy Aid matches.  He was so enthusiastic and actually tried hard to get our team to win.  After a first half that I'd spent tripping over my own feet, he gently told me "stop trying the tricks and keep it simple, you're doing great".  He then stuck me in defence where I was even more dreadful, so that might be a critique of his management skills.  But he was damned nice to talk to.  

(Compare and contrast to Billy Davies who was a sour-faced "do I have to do this" jobbie. His team talk memorably amounted to "aye, drink plenty of fluids". )

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Scott Brown once held a door open for me. I've never mentioned this as I've always thought him to be a thuggish oaf.

For no reason at all though my opinion has recently changed and I'd like the world to know what a gent he is.

I once accidentally held the door open for John Brown at Victoria's one Saturday night.  As I absolutely hated him for years (iirc he scored the winner against 'Well on my birthday which really didn't help) I pilloried myself  for a long time for not taking the chance for slamming the door in his face but a) I think that says worse things about me than him (I think he even said thank you) and b) he'd probably have snapped me in half like a twig. 

However, I refuse to have my world-view of Scott Brown being "The Most Punchable Man In Britain" shattered (or even slightly cracked).

12 minutes ago, Desp said:

I fucking love Tommy Coyne. 

Correct.  Doesn't every one?

Big Lee Wilkie. 

When he played for Dundee I was working in Fatties. Think it was New Years, him and the rest of the squad were at the end of the bar and some of them were being dicks trying to get served first. I was studiously ignoring them and letting the other staff gaggle after them like tubes. I think the big man spotted this and called me over. Popped a 20 in my pocket and said keep the drinks flowing and there will be more of these. Had a wee blether with him and he was sound as f**k. 

Rest of them not so much. 

Richard Sinclair is a cracking fella. Neil McGowan is a good laugh. David Fernandez was a really sweet humble guy. Had a good laugh with Alan Combe at a supporters club night. Dylan Kerr cheats at pool. Spoke to Andy Graham outside the Rock one day and mentioned Ross Forsyth hadn't looked the part since recently signing. I then went to walk off but he kept talking in great depth about fitba for about 10 minutes and wouldn't let me end the conversation. Just a really friendly guy with a passion for the sport.

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

He gets a bit of stick from certain people but a real heartwarming story I feel I should share about Leigh Griffiths.

Some of you may be aware I lost my 16 year old daughter last summer, a mate of mine knows Leigh Griffiths and his mum quite well and he, off his own back called LG up and told him about my families tragedy and the wee man gave my mate Chris a pair of signed boots by himself, a signed matchworn Celtic shirt signed by himself and a  couple of team mates and a pair of boots signed by Tom Rogic to pass on to me for us to sell or auction for charity in her name. 

I have these items at home and we are planning a charity fund raising night in her memory in our local once lockdown is over with monies raised probably going to the Mermaid foundation, a charity that helps children who are LGBT and have suffered and have additional mental health issues connected to this, will probably be a race night with a raffle etc and will likely auction these items on the night. 

Leigh Griffiths did this and donated these items off his own back when he heard of my families tragedy and, by all accounts has made similar gestures in the past without seeking publicity for it, it is something I was incredibly moved by and are eternally grateful for. 

Didn’t know that. Absolutely awful. My condolences, mate.

Ally McCoist is an absolute gem.

Not one of they media weirdos that only come across decent on tv/radio and are actually an arsehole.

Used to pop in to the local for a chat n always bought everyone in the place a drink. Absolute travesty the abuse he recieved when he was the Rangers manager, from his own fans. He was hurting the most out of all of them.

Tony Fitz is a superb human being. Shame he gets so much stick for daring to dream (literally this season [emoji174]).

Obviously both ex players but still.

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

As @Highland Capital said, Ryan Christie is sound.  Spoke to him in the pub during the 2016 cup final and he was extremely pleased when Dave Gray scored the winner.

Dougie Imrie was quite sound of the couple of occasions I spoke to him in the pub.  Indeed the 2nd time he recognised me from the first time we had spoken a few months before and came over and asked for my critique on the The Caley game earlier that day 😂.  Think we won so I was pretty complimentary.  He bought me a pint both times we spoke.  Good c**t.

Hero :lol: 

As well as being the mate involved in @Desp's Tommy Coyne chat, that same night I met Stephen Craigan and had a good chat with him. A few weeks later, he was speaking at my then football teams' speaker night and remembered me from the previous time I'd met him and again had a really long chat with him. He started following me on twitter after that and when I started to manage an amateur team he sent me a message of good luck for my first game and then later one of condolences, when I scored an own-goal as player-manager later in the season 😄 

I ended up chucking twitter in the summer and I'd probably say the only thing I miss about it is being followed by one of my heroes.

I was also two years above Stephen O'Donnell at school and know him fairly well and he is a really nice guy. Used to see him about quite a lot, but our mutual friend has since moved to New Zealand and I don't think I've seen him since his Partick days as a result. Funny to now actually see someone you know playing for your team.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Shocking no-one, but the boys I've done AVFTT stuff with, Stephen O'Donnell, Ryan McGowan, Marvin Bartley and Lyndon Dykes are all absolutely sound boys. All more than happy to chat away on and off camera about the daftest stuff. O'Donnell and McGowan literally just let yer auld da rock up and start cooking in their (on in McGowan's case, his Gf's Aunt's) house, and chat away. 

O'Donnell lives round the corner from me and always says hello and has a wee chat when I see him.

Cillian Sheridan once put me on my arse on Avon street across from the Leccy, he was running back down the hill and turned the corner into me. He was very very apologetic as I couldn't stop laughing. Nice laddie.

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Cillian Sheridan once put me on my arse on Avon street across from the Leccy, he was running back down the hill and turned the corner into me. He was very very apologetic as I couldn't stop laughing. Nice laddie.

Hardest shift he ever put in whilst in ML1

Chatted with McCoist in a restaurant one night, can only echo what's already been said, genuinely lovely guy.

Spoke briefly with Steve Davis around 10 years ago, I remember it well as it was the day after he picked up the Player of the Year award and was only too happy to chat about it.  Stephens Pearson and McManus also decent lads. Although not strictly a footballer, Darrell Currie is a top bloke.

Cant be bothered going onto the other thread to say this so il just put it here, Kenny Miller is a w**k stain of the highest order