Footballers who ARE nice people.

Former Motherwell utility man Andy Rose is one of the nicest people I've ever met full stop. Very obvious that he'd played in America and Australia with how genuinely interested he seemed to be in talking about football to some c**t (me) working at a till. I honestly felt like a bit of p***k after for not being able to match his levels of enthusiasm. 

8 hours ago, Aidan said:

As mentioned on the other thread, Sean Dillon. Might be a long one this.

I got a couple of tickets for a Montrose vs Airdrie game back in 2019 and took a guy I know with learning difficulties who loves football as I thought it might be a decent wee day out for him. The guy is a Dundee United fan and asked if he would get to meet Sean Dillon, I said yes and unbeknown to me he filled his wee bag with about 30 pictures and other assorted bits of memorabilia, mainly from Dundee United's Scottish Cup win and asked Sean Dillon to sign them.

I was a wee bit embarrassed and thought 1 or 2 would have been alright but this was a bit too much.

Dillon on the other hand stood there for a good 45 minutes talking about the final and going through each of the pictures indivually, talking about the players involved and since there was some of the pictures that were signed but some of the cup final squad but not all of them, he said to message him nearer to the time of the cup final reunion last year and he would try and arrange to have the signatures completed.

I fully believe that he would have stood there for hours knowing how much it meant to my pal but if I remember correctly, he had to head off to Brechin as he was going to visit an elderly Dundee United fan on his way home.

To some folk it might just be a few pictures getting signed but this guy got to spend a reasonable amount of time with one of his heroes and his been nipping my head asking when I'm taking him back to another gameemoji23.png

TL;DR: Sean Dillon=Gid c**t

Love hearing stories like that. As you say it might not be too big a deal for the player, but it means everything for your friend. Remember seeing a video of Cristiano Ronaldo coming down an access ramp just after winning the Champions League one year, and stopping for a picture with some fans who were wheelchair users. As other people started to see that he was stopping for pictures he ended up with a queue of people wanting a picture but he stood and got a photo with them all, which I thought was a very nice thing to do and something not every player would have taken the time for, especially as the rest of his team were parading around the pitch with the trophy at the time.

43 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Derek McInnes is nice? 

Genuinely surprised to hear that, with his son being a prize bellend. 

I knew him when I was a kid of 10 or 11 back in his Morton days as my aunt was good mates with his fiance,now wife and he always pretty good to me. 

John Brown.  Met him when he was playing in a soccer 6's event in Hong Kong in 2014.  He saw my son was wearing a Dee top and the wife a Dee hat and was happy to have a few photos and chat about his time at Dens.  He'd not long parted company and It was clear he felt rough about it.  Met a few other seniors at the same time, including Peter Beardsley, who all seemed sound enough albeit not overly friendly.  

My mate's sister has a wee story about Darren Fletcher I always liked. She was in a chippy in Largs when the Scotland team were training and he came in with McFadden and two other folk she never recognised all in their Scotland trackies. Think he was still a teenager but she woulda been... mid/late 20s and he tried firing in and she gave him a KB and McFadden started giving him pelters for it and everyone has having a laugh at his expense. Then just as she was getting served he apologised to her if they'd made her feel uncomfortable and paid for her order. 

Naw so much a Man U player taking time to buy someone's tea for them but the wee effort to make sure she wasn't uncomfortable in that situation was a nice touch. 

56 minutes ago, hk blues said:

John Brown.  Met him when he was playing in a soccer 6's event in Hong Kong in 2014.  He saw my son was wearing a Dee top and the wife a Dee hat and was happy to have a few photos and chat about his time at Dens.  He'd not long parted company and It was clear he felt rough about it.  Met a few other seniors at the same time, including Peter Beardsley, who all seemed sound enough albeit not overly friendly.  

John Brown sat next to us on the train on the way back from a Thistle - Dundee game at Firhill. Sat and had a beer with us and was really good company. It’s fair to say he’s not Rab Douglas’ biggest fan.

7 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

John Brown sat next to us on the train on the way back from a Thistle - Dundee game at Firhill. Sat and had a beer with us and was really good company. It’s fair to say he’s not Rab Douglas’ biggest fan.

Yep...2 guys who don't take any shit made for an interesting dynamic in the dressing room.

Rab Douglas. 

I was about 20 year old. Loved him in his time at Dens and always (still do) get a bit giddy when I speak to him in the pub or gym. Anyway, one of the first times I met him was in the pub and he come in with his family and friends, the pub is fucking hoaching and unbeknown to me, a few of my mates have went and told him I'm a huge fan. I'm standing at the bar waiting to get served and when I do I hear "I'll get them." turn around, it's Rab. 

"Hi, Mr Alli. Big fan, I'll pay for you and your friends drinks, can I get a photo with you too?" 

:lol:

Still got it on my iPad.

Edit : just seen @Hammer Jag post about Brown. Had a discussion with Rab when he'd just left Dens the second time around. Could see the anger building as he was talking to me. Quickly nipped the convo in the bud and left him to throw weights about himself. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

2 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

Derek McInnes is nice? 

Genuinely surprised to hear that, with his son being a prize bellend. 

Derek almost looked after my 6 month old bairn outside Ladbrokes on Cleppy Road whilst I nipped in to put a line on.

But I didn't ask him.

I'm sure he would have if I had though. 

As @Highland Capital said, Ryan Christie is sound.  Spoke to him in the pub during the 2016 cup final and he was extremely pleased when Dave Gray scored the winner.

Dougie Imrie was quite sound of the couple of occasions I spoke to him in the pub.  Indeed the 2nd time he recognised me from the first time we had spoken a few months before and came over and asked for my critique on the The Caley game earlier that day 😂.  Think we won so I was pretty complimentary.  He bought me a pint both times we spoke.  Good cunt.

I bumped into James McArthur and James McCarthy in the toilets of the Chinese that used to be on Queen Street at about 4am one Sunday morning, after the nightclubs had finished. Think they both played with Wigan at the time and were up for the first Rangers V Celtic after Rangers had been liquidated, sure it was a Scottish Cup semi final at Hampden. McCarthur was brand new and I got a picture with him, although I had to delete it the next day because I had my arm round his shoulder and a light blue shirt on, which had a massive sweat patch under the arm pit. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

I have met and even played against players who the majority are decent boys

Paul McStay stands out and came across as a class act

One of his boys played for a local boys club and he was there watching

When the game finished he made a point of praising every single boy who played

Met too many nice Killie players to list, but ones that stand out are...

Paul Di Giacamo - heads up the community sports trust, always gives our youth group tickets, has organised various tours of the ground and meet the players etc for them

Ray Montgomerie - got a tour of the stadium with the wee man after a matchday steward had been a complete and utter bellend and we complained. Monty was class with the wee guy, chatted away to him and gave him a wee pin badge for his scarf etc, just generally made his day 

Jamie McDonald- met the full team various times at the open days, but he stands out as the one who had the most time and the best chat for kids he was signing for. Seems a genuinely nice guy. 

Met and spoke to quite a few players who have been lovely. I have never needed or asked for more than a chat. Keith Lasley is a top bloke, always up for a chat and text him once pished on the mega bus on the way to Aberdeen asking for comps. He obliged nae bother. 

Saw Tom Boyd mentioned earlier. Motherwell fans don't really have a great opinion of him despite him being the cup winning captain. 

Who was the big Chinese dude that used to play for Dundee?

Met him in walking through very empty Overgate one time, I said hello, asked him if we was the bloke that played for Dundee.  Luckily it was him. 

He was looking for Argo so I gave him directions and send him on his way.

Lovely fella.