Memorable away trips

Replying on another thread got me thinking of some crazy away trips so I wondered what everyone’s most memorable ones are? Could be domestic, European or International.

I think mine has to be an away European trip to Bucharest in Romania when Rangers took on Unirea Urziceni.

The tone of the trip was set as soon as we arrived in Romania after our taxi driver ran over a stray dog on the way to our hotel. Poor thing died but he seemed more concerned about the front bumper of his car.

Ended up blitzed the first night and fell asleep in the toilet of a pub. I came round after shutting time and stumbled out the toilet while the bar staff were cleaning the place who erupted in laughter. They kindly gave me a glass of water and guided me out but not before asking me to pose for a photo.

Unsurprisingly I’d lost the jacket I came with in the pub so the following day I had to find a nearby shop to buy one. I got the cheapest thing I could find which was a big puffer jacket that was 3 sizes too big and down to my knees but it done the job.

As I mentioned in another thread, we bumped into Goram in a boozer before the match and had a good chat with him about all things Rangers.

On the way to the actual match we got in a taxi and agreed a price with the bloke and handed over the cash only to find the sneaky bugger had put the meter on and when we arrived at the stadium he tried to charge us again. When we refused he called over a policeman who basically ordered us to pay up or we’d be jailed. Thankfully things cost peanuts over there so it wasn’t that bad but we were fuming and the police didn’t seem the type to mess with.

During the match it kicked off a bit with some fans down the front of the stand and the police used pepper spray which meant I spent the majority of the match watching through tear filled eyes which was not enjoyable whatsoever.

After the match we were back drinking in the hotel and some of the local prostitutes were hanging around which produced a priceless moment when this old horrible Rangers fan actually got rejected for sex by one of them. When he asked why she simply shrugged her shoulders and said “ugly” then walked off 😂

Then to cap it all off, the next day I was leaving for the airport and jumped in a taxi with some other Rangers fans I’d met. When we got to the airport I didn’t recognise it and found out to my horror there are 2 airports near Bucharest and I was at the wrong one. At that point I’d already left the majority of my Romanian currency back behind the bar of my hotel for my mates to get a few drinks before their flight later on so I had no means to pay the taxi driver to take me to the other airport.

After offering him my watch and spare pair of trainers as payment, I thankfully found a 5 euro note in my bag which I’d had due to a stop over in Paris on the way which he gladly took and floored it to the other airport and I made it just in time for my flight.

All in all, a great trip but it was a bit of a baptism of fire for my 19 year old self on his first European away outing.

9 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I’ve seen Rangers fans spit down on Aberdeen fans literally every time I’ve been to Ibrox

You dirty b*****ds 

Memories :wub:

Thanks for the valuable contribution to the thread! 

Perugia away with Dundee in the UEFA Cup was never to be forgotten. My favourite moment may have been in a queue for pizza slices just off the main square listening to the following breakdown in communication. "Twa pizzas pal" "Trois?" "Naw, twa". 

I once got a brilliant deal on mini rolls when visiting the Aldi/Lidl next to Livingstons stadium once.

Felt like I'd robbed them.

One of my favourite away trips in my years supporting Hibs.  First time I've seen us win at Ibrox. Great day out and unbelievable limbs for both goals. 

Notice a future Scottish Cup winner trying to stop Stevenson for the 2nd goal. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

Perugia away with Dundee in the UEFA Cup was never to be forgotten. My favourite moment may have been in a queue for pizza slices just off the main square listening to the following breakdown in communication. "Twa pizzas pal" "Trois?" "Naw, twa". 
Why was an Italian speaking French?

34 minutes ago, The Marly said:
On 28/03/2021 at 18:49, Jimi Shandrix said:

Why was an Italian speaking French?

llama.gif.a37c490e064447215209dc8ed24db68e.gif

Many a great away trip domestically and, moreso in Europe watching Celtic... as I go on a supporters bus every bus journey whether it be domestic or down to England or abroad all have their memories and stories outwith anything that happens on the pitch.

The bus journey to European ties or games down in England separate the men from the boys.... they are great fun going there, full of drink, enthusiasm, energy and..if it's your thing other, shall we say....ahem.....mood lighteners.

These trips are the polar opposite for mood, enjoyment and energy levels between going there and coming back... a bus we took to Germany about five years ago being the prime example, after about five hours sleep in three days my body finally gave in on the way back home as we went through the channel tunnel on the Eurostar and I passed out with exhaustion. 

Woke up with a banging headache and my face stuck to the side of a Pride of the Clyde coach window hoping we aren't far from home? absolutely desperate for a sleep in a bed... only to see a sign on the motorway "Nottingham 140 miles"...😵😵😩😱

I'd have seriously taken a fucking bullet to the nut at that point 😭🤣

Edited by Flybhoy

First Scotland away trip, Dublin 2015. We’d left it quite late to get organised and ended up booking Dublin City University halls to stay in in the North of the city. After a few too many Guinness’ in the sun, another group of Scotland fans kindly gave us a bottle of vodka they’d just bought as they decided to move to another pub. After that, the night wasn’t so memorable.

Several hours later I find myself in a bus stop outside a university. To the presumed annoyance of dyslexics and drunks alike, Dublin is home to both DCU and UCD and unfortunately for me, I was outside the one which was 7 miles from my digs.

Still pished, I jumped in a (very pricey) taxi across town, grabbed a shower and my bag and got another half way back to get my 10am bus to Belfast, Cairnryan and onto Glasgow. The last leg on the A77 was probably the worst journey of my life. Twisty roads had me close to projectiling all over the place and my hangover blues convinced me that Ailsa Craig was staring at me.

Great trip

Beating Ayr away to seal the Championship the first time we did it.

the 2-2 draw down at Hibs in the cup.

Beating Caley 5-1 in Inverness.

Had a really good one in Dunfermline but I cannot remember the game. Any trip to Easter Road or Tynecastle is usually top tier.

18 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Many a great away trip domestically and, moreso in Europe watching Celtic... as I go on a supporters bus every bus journey whether it be domestic or down to England or abroad all have their memories and stories outwith anything that happens on the pitch.

The bus journey to European ties or games down in England separate the men from the boys.... they are great fun going there, full of drink, enthusiasm, energy and..if it's your thing other, shall we say....ahem.....mood lighteners.

These trips are the polar opposite for mood, enjoyment and energy levels between going there and coming back... a bus we took to Germany about five years ago being the prime example, after about five hours sleep in three days my body finally gave in on the way back home as we went through the channel tunnel on the Eurostar and I passed out with exhaustion. 

Woke up with a banging headache and my face stuck to the side of a Pride of the Clyde coach window hoping we aren't far from home? absolutely desperate for a sleep in a bed... only to see a sign on the motorway "Nottingham 140 miles"...😵😵😩😱

I'd have seriously taken a fucking bullet to the nut at that point 😭🤣

I took a Valium waitin to leave Dover port, coming back from ekeren I think, woke up passing the high school 10 mins from my house in Cumbernauld.