Thistle vs Forfar - Tuesday 30th March

Guest bernardblack

Great entertainment for £10.

Commentators were top notch...just biased enough, which is perfect in my book for the home commentary! The replays are a classy touch too. 

12 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I didn’t us coming away with a point and being disappointed. 

Couldn't agree more, whilst I was only following along via BBC Sport text commentary, the stats looked the best they have in a long while for Forfar, and judging by all your guys comments we were better than Thistle.

All this positivity, will it transfer to the cup on Saturday? Hope so, but probably not.

Guest bernardblack
1 minute ago, Bridie Vision said:

Couldn't agree more, whilst I was only following along via BBC Sport text commentary, the stats looked the best they have in a long while for Forfar, and judging by all your guys comments we were better than Thistle.

All this positivity, will it transfer to the cup on Saturday? Hope so, but probably not.

We had a goal chopped off for what looked to not be a handball (close call though)

Shepherd missed a one one one after being clean through and we hit the bar near the end. 
Better performance, hopefully as you say we can take it into Saturday.

Great entertainment for £10.
Commentators were top notch...just biased enough, which is perfect in my book for the home commentary! The replays are a classy touch too. 
Agree 100%.

That's much more like it from us, attacking teams and looking to break when we could, came under pressure at the end but still getting plenty forward.

Hoban did well, nothing he could do with the goals and had a couple of decent saves, some length on his kicks too.

Thought Nditi did really well, didn't often have Anderson helping him but he won a lot and Thitsle were less of a threat 2nd half down the left than they were in the first half.

Munro and Meechan pretty good, Andy had a moment in the 1st half when he tried to play football and gave it away, Graham gave them more trouble.

Think left back is still a weakness, Coll beaten too easily for the 2nd equaliser and Partick came down that side more and more.

Middle of the park was a big difference for me, so much more energy with Irvine not playing. Moore looks like a good prospect, good on the ball but clearly needs experience, Mackintosh had a good game and his booking was a joke for a wonderful tackle.

Anderson got the assist but his lack of pace told at times and he didn't help out Nditi as much in the first half as Penrice for Thistle continued to overlap. Was clear to see it was Scallys first start back as he looked off the pace, 2nd goal did come from a good ball in but the rest of his crosses were terrible, he did do well to help out Coll though and he'll do well with more minutes.

Scott Shepherd ran so well, he won balls he shouldn't have and was a nuisance, but unfortunately his lack of quality in front of goal showed with 2 unbelievable chances to make it 3-1 passed up.

Fenwick was great, won a lot in the air, won fouls, held it up well and obviously got the goals. His first was a great strike, brilliant connection although the keeper would be disappointed. 2nd was a great poachers goal just being in the right place.

Overall actually disappointed not to win, especially with hitting the bar with 5 minutes to go, in saying that Partick had chances to win it too. Great to see a very good performance where we looked dangerous for a change, very happy to be proved wrong after my initial prediction. Certainly more optimistic for the rest of the season even if results went against us tonight.

Partick clearly have decent attacking options but they looked poor at the back and quite disorganised

Guest bernardblack
3 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Agree 100%.

That's much more like it from us, attacking teams and looking to break when we could, came under pressure at the end but still getting plenty forward.

Hoban did well, nothing he could do with the goals and had a couple of decent saves, some length on his kicks too.

Thought Nditi did really well, didn't often have Anderson helping him but he won a lot and Thitsle were less of a threat 2nd half down the left than they were in the first half.

Munro and Meechan pretty good, Andy had a moment in the 1st half when he tried to play football and gave it away, Graham gave them more trouble.

Think left back is still a weakness, Coll beaten too easily for the 2nd equaliser and Partick came down that side more and more.

Middle of the park was a big difference cor me, so much more energy with Irvine not playing. Moore likes like a good prospect, good on the ball but clearly needs experience, Mackintosh had a good game and his booking was a joke for a wonderful tackle.

Anderson got the assist but his lack of pace told at times and he didn't help out Nditi as much in the first half as Penrice for Thistle continued to overlap. Was clear to see it was Scallys first start back as he looked off the pace, 2nd goal did come from a good ball in but the rest of his crosses were terrible, he did do well to help out Coll though and he'll do well with more minutes.

Scott Shepherd ran so well, he won balls he shouldn't have and was a nuisance, but unfortunately his lack of quality in front of goal showed with 2 unbelievable chances to make it 3-1 passed up.

Fenwick was great, won a lot in the air, won fouls, held it up well and obviously got the goals. His first was a great strike, brilliant connection although the keeper would be disappointed. 2nd was a great poachers goal just being in the right place.

Overall actually disappointed not to win, expecially with hitting the bar with 5 minutes to go, in saying that Partick had chances to win it too. Great to see a very good performance where we looked dangerous for a change, very happy to be proved wrong after my initial prediction. Certainly more optimistic for the rest of the season even if results went against us tonight.

Partick clearly have decent attacking options but they looked poor at the back and quite disorganised

Great recap. Partick look a decent team but they were chasing from the changes and using all their subs early hindered them at the end. Their centre halves had a nervy evening though 👀

Great recap. Partick look a decent team but they were chasing from the changes and using all their subs early hindered them at the end. Their centre halves had a nervy evening though [emoji102]
Definitely. Is Steven Bell the same one who played for Dunfermline and Stranraer? Always thought he was more of an attacking midfielder?

27 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
33 minutes ago, bernardblack said:
Great recap. Partick look a decent team but they were chasing from the changes and using all their subs early hindered them at the end. Their centre halves had a nervy evening though emoji102.png

Definitely. Is Steven Bell the same one who played for Dunfermline and Stranraer? Always thought he was more of an attacking midfielder?

Yep but he's about 43 years old now so plays CB. 

We got probably more than we deserved from that although I suppose you could say we had a couple of shots just past the post after Forfar hit the bar. 

As everyone has said, no real need to make so many changes, and having to make 5 subs to fix the lineup after 65 minutes came back to bite us on the arse with going down to ten men - side note, I'll be gutted for Erskine if he's out for the season, was in theory a chance to go finish with Thistle on his own terms after being fucked over by Caldwell but would assume he'll be out until after the 18th game anyway and who knows where we'll be at that point. 

Rotating the keeper looks a particularly poor choice given he cost both the goals (dreadful punch for the second). 

Still, at least we'll have our strongest team on the park for a 3-0 pasting at Tannadice on Saturday.

I normally have the commentary on mute but put it on for the second half, thought they were fair enough, called Tiffoneys dive correctly and the Forfar boy getting booked for a fair tackle on Bannigan.

Next home game im going to play drink a shot every time Michael Max incorrectly identifies one of our players - I expect to be in a coma by half time which should improve the viewing experience . Even for players who do look a bit similar from a distance like Tiffoney and Gordon, if you're doing commentary you note things like one was wearing white boots and the other black. 

Though if he's mixing up Murray and Williamson (about a foot difference in height) and and Sena and Bell (black and white) maybe I'm asking too much. 

Edited by Fuctifano

A dreadful performance from Thistle tonight. Another to add to the collection of poor results. 

Why we made six changes to the team that won 4-2 at Airdrie is a mystery. 
We were so slow going forward and barley looked like scoring. At the back we were nervous all game long and constantly looked like leaking a goal. 
Forfar played a lot better than they did the last time we played them and given they missed some big chances they definitely deserved their point. 

That being said that shouldn’t have been the situation. We are at home with one of the biggest budgets in the league yet we have yet again dropped points against teams who with no disrespect intended we should be beating. Two wins out of seven at home is terrible.  

11 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

A dreadful performance from Thistle tonight. Another to add to the collection of poor results. 

Why we made six changes to the team that won 4-2 at Airdrie is a mystery. 
We were so slow going forward and barley looked like scoring. At the back we were nervous all game long and constantly looked like leaking a goal. 
Forfar played a lot better than they did the last time we played them and given they missed some big chances they definitely deserved their point. 

That being said that shouldn’t have been the situation. We are at home with one of the biggest budgets in the league yet we have yet again dropped points against teams who with no disrespect intended we should be beating. Two wins out of seven at home is terrible.  

Last few games before the most recent shut down our defence looked much better, to the point I thought they were looking fairly solid. Since the return they seem to have regressed. Only plus marks are for senna but even he look rattled last night. Forfar were very effective on the ball, kept possession when they went forward and were always a threat whereas we were ponderous. The archie effect?

As you say, biggest budget, we should be so much better. McCall has a good record at this level but he has gone missing. On this evidence we will not get out of this league under his management.