The Highland Derby - Live on BBC Scotland

I'm a bit concerned about this. Lower league teams tend to raise their game against Premiership opposition - for some Inverness players it'll be the biggest game of their careers.

Equally concerning is that it might be an audition for some faceless clogger in a FlyBe jersey. A decent performance and they'll earn a place on the County bench next season. 

5 hours ago, yoda said:

I'm a bit concerned about this. Lower league teams tend to raise their game against Premiership opposition - for some Inverness players it'll be the biggest game of their careers.

Equally concerning is that it might be an audition for some faceless clogger in a FlyBe jersey. A decent performance and they'll earn a place on the County bench next season. 

Truth be told and it's been proven in the past there's usually not much difference between a lower end Premiership team and an upper end Championship team, n'est pas. 

Now I'm not suggesting that is where our teams are at the moment but you'll get my drift.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Truth be told and it's been proven in the past there's usually not much difference between a lower end Premiership team and an upper end Championship team, n'est pas. 

Now I'm not suggesting that is where our teams are at the moment but you'll get my drift.

On the contrary, the gulf is enormous.  In a cup game, yeah, but the difference in quality needed to compete consistently in significant. 

This fixture always reminds me of the two occasions a Ross County fan has admitted to me in person that they take greater pleasure in The Caley losing, than they do in Ross County winning. 

I have no doubt there’s Ross County fans on here like that too.

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Do we have to? 

Your trepidation is well founded given that in the long history of the amalgamated club* there is a risible record to buck.

I have been alerted to the fact that Ross County have singularly failed to win against the Caley in the Scottish Cup.

If true and given the mismatch in resources, I find this to be an unlikely but satisfying statistic. 

My memory doesn't serve me so well but was it in the Scottish that Philip Roberts scored at the jail end to secure a well deserved draw so very deep into injury time and that just after what would have been a home winner scored at the staunchly sounding jubilee end?

Was that the game and the moment that Derek Adams did his wee grimace dance?

Anyway, I digress and given that 2014/2015 gave us the greatest ever highland sporting achievement, this competition is one I certainly look forward to.

*I see it's almost a century since the staunchly sounding Victoria and Dingwall Thistle got together. I wonder who the centenary game will be against?

12 hours ago, sophia said:

Your trepidation is well founded given that in the long history of the amalgamated club* there is a risible record to buck.

I have been alerted to the fact that Ross County have singularly failed to win against the Caley in the Scottish Cup.

If true and given the mismatch in resources, I find this to be an unlikely but satisfying statistic. 

My memory doesn't serve me so well but was it in the Scottish that Philip Roberts scored at the jail end to secure a well deserved draw so very deep into injury time and that just after what would have been a home winner scored at the staunchly sounding jubilee end?

Was that the game and the moment that Derek Adams did his wee grimace dance?

Anyway, I digress and given that 2014/2015 gave us the greatest ever highland sporting achievement, this competition is one I certainly look forward to.

*I see it's almost a century since the staunchly sounding Victoria and Dingwall Thistle got together. I wonder who the centenary game will be against?

Probably your best effort ever Sophia, well done. Much better than the usual tedious pish. 

For this I would go thus:

Ridgers

Carson  Devine  Deas  Harper

Allardice  Welsh

McGregor  Allan  McKay

Todorov

I had a bad feeling about this.  2-0 Ross County.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Ridgers

Allardice  Welsh

McGregor  Allan  McKay

Todorov

Not sure about starting Brad Mckay at left wing to be honest with you.

1B1C4849-33AD-408E-8064-BC7CB55922A2.gif

Edited by PB1994

Scott Allan hasn't started a game since August, I'd say it's more likely he'll start on the bench with the '3' for us being MacGregor, Sutherland and Mackay.  Having said that we might want to go with more experience so perhaps James Keatings could be pushed in, not sure how fit he is at the moment though.

Will Hughes abandon his tiki taka philosophy for the derby as he used to do when he was in charge at ICT?

We seem to have improved ever since McCann abandoned his "play out from the back at all costs" approach which has seen us grind out some important wins. No point trying to do it if you don't have the players to pull it off or the time to implement it.

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Scott Allan hasn't started a game since August, I'd say it's more likely he'll start on the bench with the '3' for us being MacGregor, Sutherland and Mackay.  Having said that we might want to go with more experience so perhaps James Keatings could be pushed in, not sure how fit he is at the moment though.

I don’t disagree with what you are saying about Allan but I’d have thought he would only have been allowed up here on loan if he was going to be starting every game he possible can.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Ridgers

Allardice  Welsh

McGregor  Allan  McKay

Todorov

That's exactly the team I'd like to see on the pitch, but I suspect that Sutherland will start again, at the expense of McGregor or Allan if, as @ICTChris says, he isn't fully match fit. 

53 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Scott Allan hasn't started a game since August, I'd say it's more likely he'll start on the bench with the '3' for us being MacGregor, Sutherland and Mackay.  Having said that we might want to go with more experience so perhaps James Keatings could be pushed in, not sure how many fucks he gives at the moment though.

FTFY

In all seriousness, I'd be wary of starting Keatings as I think we need to press Iacovitti and (if he's starting) Donaldson as high as possible from the off. They're both prone to take risks and to commit errors, so the more aggressive we are the better. That's not really Keatings' game. It might actually suit Storey, but I'd be wary of sacrificing Mackay for Storey as Mackay uses the ball a lot better in possession. 

7 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Probably your best effort ever Sophia, well done. Much better than the usual tedious pish. 

Thank you your kind words, it so very refreshing to bear witness to such gentlemanly eloquence.

As for the game on Friday and in the context of vocal minorities that couldn't bear to welcome either Hughes or McCann, it'll be interesting to see who has the more coherent plan to succeed and if this game has any part to play in winning hearts and minds.

As for Scott Allan I'd be for starting him as this is the ideal opportunity to get game time in his legs. From the little I saw on Saturday, it took me back to Charlie Christie in his pomp. Charlie was so well loved and if I recall correctly, both sets of supporters sung songs in his honour.

10 hours ago, RiG said:

Fingers crossed the £100,000 rated (:lol:) Coll Donaldson plays. 

How;s he doing nowadays? I've never seen n all my years a footballer who regressed as rapidly as he did, I really thought that in his early days with us, apart from the  Dumbarton howler, that he would be leaving us for down south, he turned in great performances game after game and then he went into hiding.