Footballers who aren't nice people

Bertie Peacock was a decent man. As was his son, Russell. 

Felix Healy had a fear of flying so travelled back after the Spurs ECWC game in 1982 on the train/boat with us. Rooked us at cards, the so and so. Nice fella, all the same.

As previously mentioned Neale Cooer RIP was always a gentleman the couple of times I met him, as was namesake Neil Cooper.

Met Willie Miller twice, once poured me a pint in his “nightclub” and actually chatted for a few minutes as it wasn’t that busy. Other time he was getting out of his car outside Pittodrie and just blanked everyone that tried to talk to him. Mind you that could have been the day/week he got binned as manager [emoji15]

Davie Provan..twice

in the 60s (aye) played in and won a 5s competition at Gourock against him, they complained we had an overage player (we had 4 tbh)

Played a round of golf one day at Kilmacolm, walked into the bar and mentioned the golf was on the telly, he promptly turned it over, I was a guest so let it slide.... 

Gary Caldwell was giving me the stink eye in a West end Edinburgh boozer during his stint at Hibs.  He either thought I was someone he knew and didn't like (I wasn't) or is a c**t.  

Once saw Gary Caldwell in a Stirling nightclub on a Monday night, chatting up girls around 15 years younger than him.

6 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Once saw Gary Caldwell in a Stirling nightclub on a Monday night, chatting up girls around 15 years younger than him.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/SHAMELESS%3B+EXCLUSIVE+Rat+Caldwell+paraded+wife+on+the+pitch..+while...-a0163618646

doesnt shock me 😐 

Other than that - nothing really first hand, but Scott Fox was a bit of a dick especially at our POTY event. iirc he was asked to say a few words, got handed a mic, mumbled "it's been a pleasure", dropped the mic to the floor and walked off.

In saying that Adam Strachan was far, far worse. Think off the top of my head he:

- was involved in a fight/complete debacle with club captain at the time Marc Smyth at a Christmas do, can't remember if Strachan got punted but I'm sure we terminated Smyth's contract over it

- got caught by the police at least once, with £2000 worth of class A drugs

- headbutted his girlfriend at a bus stop and also threatened to stab her

18 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Rowan Vine was at this constantly in Loft while with us, lassies clearly barely even 16 getting dragged into booths so he could chat them up.

Marvin Andrews is a complete gentleman. Really nice, genuine guy.
Have heard good stories about Sean Dillon too.

Apart from Andrews' rampant homophobia, of course.

Dillon is one of few current players I've met, and he was a very nice guy.

Michael Paton, using the 'do you know who I am' when he was a reserve player for Aberdeen. Suppose that probably was the peak of his career.

Was over a decade ago, so hopefully was just a bit of youthfulness and alcohol.

Footballer: *plays for my team*

Me, a simp football fan: "LITERALLY THE NICEST MAN EVER"

I've encountered a few footballers in a previous job. Most of them were very nondescript (which was good). A couple stuck out as being noticeably polite. Several were arseholes. If they were out in groups then I did my best to avoid engaging with them because their patter was terrible (although I suspect that feeling would probably be mutual).

7 hours ago, Ric said:

Spoken to Jim Goodwin, at Glasgow Queen Street station. He had his bike with him and he was returning from some long cycle up in the hills. Despite not needing to, and clearly just wanting to get home, he took a couple of minutes out of his day to chat. This was when he was still a player with us. Came across as a very pleasant person, but maybe that was his public side who knows.

Aye I've mentioned before I think but from serving Goodwin at my work a few times he came across as a slightly manic but absolutely lovely guy.

2 hours ago, HibsFan said:

He's a married man with six kids after all.

James McPake lists him as his managerial hero and mentor.

Probably why he got charged with homophobic abuse when a DAB was goading him.