Footballers who aren't nice people

I once saw the singer from Glasvegas, who was a footballer at one point, having a shit down protest outside Sleazys one night because his pal had been chucked out. Doing the full "do you know who I am", threatening to get the place closed down, and wearing sunglasses even though it was night. 
Every other footballer I've ever briefly met has been perfectly pleasant, including Andy Goram to be fair.
I've had a couple of encounters with him, one when he was offended because I didn't want a picture with him and another when he started to get aggressive after a charity game because a number of people didn't know who he was.

Andy Goram is a bellend. Rory McCalister loves a big time shout which despite how much he earns I just can't respect from a man who's spent almost all of his careers playing part time football. Aberdeen legend Andy Bagshaw was an absolute p***k and a bully.

On the good guy stakes, Rocco Quinn, Bobby Linn, Dick Campbell are all sound and I have a story about Sean Dillon which has him down as one of the best humans I've met in general nevermind football, I'll save that for the relevant thread.

52 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Met the late Tommy Burns at a charity event once and he really was a  lovely genuine man, a sad loss.

Craig Levein was surprisingly very nice.  

On the other hand Neil Lennon was an absolute cock when I had the misfortune of meeting him at a game, complained about everything that day, even the grass was to hard, the perimeter wall was too close to the pitch, and shockingly a few kids had the temerity to have asked for his autograph which was also a fault.

Wee Hearts fanny Kris O Neil who scored one goal giving it the big do you know who I am in Eros/Elite in early 2000s, naw lad, nobody knows who you are, jog on.

The biggest bell end of the lot though was the dreadful Anthony Stokes, I saw first hand him start a fight in a pub only to shite it and run behind his group of mates who bailed him out, seemingly that's his modus operandi.  Grade A c**t.

Stokes and a few of the Celtic squad used to always kick about a place in Glasgow called light . Think some of the Rangers players used to go there aswell so in my experience it just turned into one of those overpriced places full of wannabe wags and guys in a run of the mill job trying to give the impression they were also living the lifestyle of an old firm football player . All in all a dreadful experience . 

Used to do media work for Falkirk which involved getting players for after match interviews so met a fair few. Biggest w**k was John Sutton. Nicest guy I ever met was Tommy Burns with Alex Smith a close second. 

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Used to do media work for Falkirk which involved getting players for after match interviews so met a fair few. Biggest w**k was John Sutton. Nicest guy I ever met was Tommy Burns with Alex Smith a close second. 

Sutton? A W**k? Well I never.

8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Agree with Alex Smith, a really good guy & an excellent after dinner speaker.

I think a lot of young footballers - esp in the bigger cities - get unwarranted abuse, even when they are just out with their wife for a meal or whatever.

I suspect they might not be as relaxed as the rest of us when out and about and sometimes give off the "f**k off" vibe as a defence mechanism.

Doesnt excuse the real arseholes, but I include fans in that as well.

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think a lot of young footballers - esp in the bigger cities - get unwarranted abuse, even when they are just out with their wife for a meal or whatever.

I suspect they might not be as relaxed as the rest of us when out and about and sometimes give off the "f**k off" vibe as a defence mechanism.

There's definitely an element of that.  Blanket social media means that some fans think that they actually 'know' footballers/celebrities, and feel that they have right to infringe their privacy. 

Ironically, in the the old days (I know, I know), it was the other way around. If you came across a footballer you looked upon him as a God whereas in reality, even the big stars lived in the same kind of house as you, drove a shitty car, and were generally really down to earth. 

I remember even as a young teenager meeting an East Fife player somewhere, and being in awe. 

Aiden McGeady was an absolute fuckwit, pretty much all Celtic players happily give their time for pictures with the kids etc after games however I remember asking him one day and he just grunted, didn’t even acknowledge the kids stuck his head in the picture, didn’t smile and then just fucked off, just thought he was very very rude.

I think it's incredibly harsh to label someone an absolute f**k wit because one time they were in a bad mood. They're professional footballers, not monkeys who dance on command.

38 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think so as well, and it's probably even worse for the high profile OF players, especially the ones who are seen as good Celtic/Rangers men, getting it from overeager super fans and dickhead rival team fans everytime they leave the house. I remember seeing Neil Lennon waiting for a taxi outside a pub a few years ago getting absolute dogs abuse from a bunch of dickheads standing across the street. To be fair to him, he just stood there playing with his phone and barely acknowledged it, but it must wear you down.

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think it's incredibly harsh to label someone an absolute f**k wit because one time they were in a bad mood. They're professional footballers, not monkeys who dance on command.

Maybe it is harsh however it wasn’t one off behaviour from McGeady to be rude with fans and whilst I appreciate he shouldn’t be expected to dance on command but to refuse to acknowledge the fans who contribute to keeping him in that profession especially  when it’s kids who idolise him just made him come across as a bit of a p***k 

10 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think so as well, and it's probably even worse for the high profile OF players, especially the ones who are seen as good Celtic/Rangers men, getting it from overeager super fans and dickhead rival team fans everytime they leave the house. I remember seeing Neil Lennon waiting for a taxi outside a pub a few years ago getting absolute dogs abuse from a bunch of dickheads standing across the street. To be fair to him, he just stood there playing with his phone and barely acknowledged it, but it must wear you down.

There was a period a few years ago of players like Kenny Miller , Russell Martin etc getting followed about mundane places like Asda looking at mundane things like kitchen utensils just so some fully grown man can shout “you are shite” and every other social media Da would be in hysterics. Weird behaviour 

2 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

There was a period a few years ago of players like Kenny Miller , Russell Martin etc getting followed about mundane places like Asda looking at mundane things like kitchen utensils just so some fully grown man can shout “you are shite” and every other social media Da would be in hysterics. Weird behaviour 

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. Was there not some other guy who used to get their phone numbers and post him shouting at them down the phone? That doesn't really happen to St Mirren players I don't think.

THIS GIVES AWAY MY AGE

Geoff Hurst - not a nice man. Booked him as  an after dinner speaker when I was working in England. When I introduced myself to him before the event he was all " you jocks " this and that . Surly and a pain in the butt.

Bertie Auld , what a nice guy. I was working in a restaurant as a barman and he came with his wife and two Rangers players and their partners. I was on £1 an hour and at the end of the evening he came over and thanked me for looking after them. He shoved a note in my jacket top pocket and went to leave. Expecting 10 bob note it was a fiver. Chased after him and he said he knew what he had given me and to enjoy it. While the others were waiting he stood for 10-15 mins chatting about fitba' and stuff.

Can only remember one player I've met sticking out as being much of a dick - Bruce Grobbelaar. Had the misfortune to play in a golf thing with him and 4 hours in his company are 4 hours I regret. A surly, overly-competitive, self-regarding character which was weird considering it was a charity gig.

Only upside is that we were spared the wobbly legs routine.

As already mentioned by a few folk, Andy Goram is an utter w**k.

John Collins had a wee tantrum because I almost ran him over. Of course it was my fault that he had headphones on and didn’t look before crossing a road. 

Derek Riordan tried to put the head on one of my wee brothers friends for absolutely no reason in a nightclub in Edinburgh years ago but failed. Wish better camera phones were around back then. A video of him trying to sprint away across the dance floor getting held by the collar and repeatedly being slapped around the head was befitting of an overdub with the Benny Hill theme. 

Davie Weir was a knob and basically assaulted me. Did my work experience with Falkirk when I was at high school. Training finished with a game and I megged him resulting in a couple of players giving it “WAAAY” and Gerry Collins taking the piss out him. Next time I had the ball he basically volleyed me at hip height and if it wasn’t for the fence my scrawny 15 year old carcass would’ve ended up over in Marshall’s Monoblocks.
Despite Weir being a big childish tadger, I can’t give enough credit to both Tony Parkes and Paul McGrillen . Both of them were absolutely brilliant with me.

ETA: I also will never forget being absolutely staggered at the sight of Dominic Iorfa’s penis. Good lord! 

Edited by 8MileBU

Gordon Hunter - ex Hibs - is a taxi driver, and picked my wife, son and I up from Edinburgh Airport after returning from Majorca a couple of years ago.

Smashing guy, delighted to talk football for the entire journey home (not sure my wife was that delighted tho) and generally came across as a good lad.

As @Bob Mahelpmentions above, hes probably one of the "older and more in touch" guys.

Can only remember one player I've met sticking out as being much of a dick - Bruce Grobbelaar. Had the misfortune to play in a golf thing with him and 4 hours in his company are 4 hours I regret. A surly, overly-competitive, self-regarding character which was weird considering it was a charity gig.
Only upside is that we were spared the wobbly legs routine.
How much did you pay him to "accidentally" slice a few into the rough?

A fairly prominent current Scottish footballer got caught doing coke in the Dundee Union about 10 year ago (give or take). The bouncer that caught him in the act supported the team he played for so naturally it was a non-issue. The footballer then proceeded to give it the big man act and the 'Do you know who I am?' to the bouncer. Couldn't believe it at the time and it just gets even more ridiculous every time I think back on it.

I've not really had many interactions with footballers but here'sa semi-amusing interaction. My cousin was given a tour of Dens by Jim Duffy when he was young just because Duffy was finishing up training as my cousin was in the club shop. He proceeded to swing by the dressing room and Noel Blake walked out of the shower at just that moment stark naked and Duffy was apparently in hysterics at my cousin seeing that Blake possessed a python. 

Edited by Ludo*1