Footballers who aren't nice people

I don't think I've met many footballers outside of a football stadium. As I mentioned in another thread, Derek Whyte nearly knocked me down in his car in Aberdeen, that was about 20 years ago mind and to be honest he never got to say much other than put up with a somewhat uncouth but entirely justified rant. 

Spoken to Jim Goodwin, at Glasgow Queen Street station. He had his bike with him and he was returning from some long cycle up in the hills. Despite not needing to, and clearly just wanting to get home, he took a couple of minutes out of his day to chat. This was when he was still a player with us. Came across as a very pleasant person, but maybe that was his public side who knows.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Jinkies, Tam, you're starting early today.

Reckon you'll get many with that bait?

Only adults with the mental age of six.

Just your average west of Scotland football fan probably. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Craig Conway et al. All extremely young with too much money in their pockets. Achieved very little in the game 

Bitch please

2.58348516.thumb.jpg.2b86b5e997577ea39cc07be211fe5ea5.jpg

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Just your average west of Scotland football fan probably.

It's true, if those living in the agricultural hinterlands are renowned for anything it's their urbane intellectualism.

When they were at County, I had a couple of separate run ins with Sean Higgins, Alex Keddie and Darren Brady. 

The first time I was in a pub with a mate and the 3 of them out of nowhere started staring at me.  Keddie came up to me and said Higgins was upset with me staring at him. I think I had glanced past the group a couple of times as I knew a lassie who was standing beyond them.  Brady then came over and got right in my face and I kept asking him what his problem was and was he going to do something about it. He didn’t of course.

He kept repeating something in his whiny, nasally Weegie dirge and I just kept laughing at him. My mate was also standing there asking what any of them were going to do. Keddie and Higgins seemed taken aback that we were becoming the aggressors and they pulled Brady away and left.

Only a few weeks later, me and a separate mate saw Higgins and Keddie in the queue in front of us waiting to get into a club and we started hurling abuse at them.  No Darren Brady there this time so they didn’t say anything back.

Probably through luck rather than design, I have never had any dealings with footballers who were up themselves. Even Alex Rae was pretty sound to talk to although he found the concept of a Killie fan in Glasgow a tad perplexing. Had a memorable conversation with Stilian Petrov in the Blockbuster Video shop in Partick that was surreal in that I am sure neither of us understood what the other was saying.

Met the late Tommy Burns at a charity event once and he really was a  lovely genuine man, a sad loss.

Craig Levein was surprisingly very nice.  

On the other hand Neil Lennon was an absolute cock when I had the misfortune of meeting him at a game, complained about everything that day, even the grass was to hard, the perimeter wall was too close to the pitch, and shockingly a few kids had the temerity to have asked for his autograph which was also a fault.

Wee Hearts fanny Kris O Neil who scored one goal giving it the big do you know who I am in Eros/Elite in early 2000s, naw lad, nobody knows who you are, jog on.

The biggest bell end of the lot though was the dreadful Anthony Stokes, I saw first hand him start a fight in a pub only to shite it and run behind his group of mates who bailed him out, seemingly that's his modus operandi.  Grade A c**t.

Edited by Tynierose

I once saw the singer from Glasvegas, who was a footballer at one point, having a shit down protest outside Sleazys one night because his pal had been chucked out. Doing the full "do you know who I am", threatening to get the place closed down, and wearing sunglasses even though it was night. 

Every other footballer I've ever briefly met has been perfectly pleasant, including Andy Goram to be fair.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

I once saw the singer from Glasvegas, who was a footballer at one point, having a shit down protest outside Sleazys one night because his pal had been chucked out. Doing the full "do you know who I am", threatening to get the place closed down, and wearing sunglasses even though it was night. 

Every other footballer I've ever briefly met has been perfectly pleasant, including Andy Goram to be fair.

That'll be former Sons superstar James Allan.

Anyway I can't say I've thought any of the players I've met have been particularly unpleasant. Peter Houston was a bit odd, but he could just be a bit socially awkward/shy.

I'd echo the earlier post about Alex Rae, I had in my mind exactly what he would be like and he was the opposite. Met him twice through Uni and he was absolutely great both times; easy to chat with, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know us. Think he's one of these guys (and we all know them) who just becomes unbearable and slavering when he's watching his team.

Aiden McGeady was an absolute fuckwit, pretty much all Celtic players happily give their time for pictures with the kids etc after games however I remember asking him one day and he just grunted, didn’t even acknowledge the kids stuck his head in the picture, didn’t smile and then just fucked off, just thought he was very very rude.

Charlie Miller also, one of my kids was a mascot for a charity OF game a few years back and the kids were all given these half and half Celtic/Rangers strips to wear and my lad had his own Celtic top underneath so afterwards all the kids were trying to get signatures and to his credit even Andy Goram was superb with them giving his time and signing away, Miller refused to sign the strip and just came across as an absolute arse 

Worked at Mar Hall when Strachan was Scotland manager, and had the pleasure of working during one of the International breaks. 

Scott Brown had to be reminded to watch his language - was threatening to kick someone's c*nt in while there were families with small kids about. 

Allan Mcgregor and Stevie Naismith are both dour p***ks and spent most of their free time in their room wearing only shorts. 

Steven Fletcher and Charlie Mulgrew both threw temper tantrums when the coffee machine broke down. 

On the flip side, Ikeci Anya and Shaun Maloney both tipped me a tenner for running running water to their room. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Many Scottish footballers are, by virtue of circumstances, thick as shit. 

That doesn't mean that they're all cnuts by any means, but it does often mean that they have limited social skills and/or a lack of self-awareness. 

I tend to believe that older generation footballers were far more in touch with the fans and therefore much more personable.  I've met Bertie Auld a few times and he's a lovely, lovely man. 

I'm also sure though that the vast majority of today's footballers are decent lads. Like any group though, there'll be some utter d1cks amongst them.