Footballers who aren't nice people

Was it ever confirmed that it was Paton who knocked out the Celtic keeper Zaluska in Ashton Lane a few years ago? That was such a weird incident. Jim Goodwin happened to be out for a drink with his wife that night and was there moments after Zaluska got punched and went over to make sure he was okay. 

Ive just Googled it and Paton was charged with assault and fined £500. His reason for punching Zaluska is because the keeper said ‘you are Rangers’ to Paton  [emoji38] 
Paul Paton spoke about this on the excellent Dode Fox podcast a few weeks back. Long story short, Zaluska did a hell of a lot more than that.

Alan Main had to ask to be moved oil platforms as he was that much of a tit he was told he was getting launched off of it, given the chance. Apparently refused to leave his living quarters until his squealing was adhered to

This is tosh. He's worked on the same rig (not a platform) for years. In fact, I think he's been on the same one since he started offshore. He always came over as pretty sound in my dealings with him. We had a good bit of banter in the week leading up to the United v St. Johnstone final even though he was backing St. Johnstone. 

25 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:
Was it ever confirmed that it was Paton who knocked out the Celtic keeper Zaluska in Ashton Lane a few years ago? That was such a weird incident. Jim Goodwin happened to be out for a drink with his wife that night and was there moments after Zaluska got punched and went over to make sure he was okay. 

Ive just Googled it and Paton was charged with assault and fined £500. His reason for punching Zaluska is because the keeper said ‘you are Rangers’ to Paton  emoji38.png 

Paul Paton spoke about this on the excellent Dode Fox podcast a few weeks back. Long story short, Zaluska did a hell of a lot more than that.

I only read the first few lines of the Daily Record article and that seemed to be the phrase they were focusing on, unsurprisingly. What else did Zaluska do? 

When I was at University I used to work in an certain Edinburgh West End bar quite popular with footballers.  Darren Jackson and John Robertson were regulars and both nice guys to talk to.

Ally McCoist used to come in with Gordon Marshall (the then Celtic keeper) much to the displeasure of local Edinburgh bluenoses who were a humourless lot at the best of times. "Whit ye daein drinking w' him?"  and all that. McCoist used to respond "He's my mate and nobody tells me who I can and can't have a pint with" which usually left them seething.

I liked Ally, he was funny and good company. Mark Hateley however was an absolute p***k who walked about with his nose in the air.

Edited by AndyM

23 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

You could not meet a nicer or quieter man off the pitch. Great chap. 

As mentioned though. Mad Anti Vaxxer

20 hours ago, stepek 4 tellys said:

Used to work in a pub in Hamilton in the early 90s and a lot of the Motherwell cup winning team drank in it at the time. A great bunch of guys, especially Davie Cooper, Luc Nijholt and Colin O'Neil.

Colin O'Neil is a vile wee guy

40 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Ive just Googled it and Paton was charged with assault and fined £500. His reason for punching Zaluska is because the keeper said ‘you are Rangers’ to Paton  emoji38.png 

do tell 

You know what... I interviewed Paul Paton for the Saints match programme/official website a few years ago. It was an extremely pleasant surprise. He was reserved, polite and easy to talk to, taking full ownership of his past misdemeanours. After the interview, he started following me on Twitter and he sent me a message wishing me all the best when he eventually left the club.

Sorry to go against the grain.

23 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

You know what... I interviewed Paul Paton for the Saints match programme/official website a few years ago. It was an extremely pleasant surprise. He was reserved, polite and easy to talk to, taking full ownership of his past misdemeanours. After the interview, he started following me on Twitter and he sent me a message wishing me all the best when he eventually left the club.

Sorry to go against the grain.

How you been doing anyway Paul?

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I only read the first few lines of the Daily Record article and that seemed to be the phrase they were focusing on, unsurprisingly. What else did Zaluska do? 

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

do tell 

I just listened there.

Allegedly, Zaluska called him a *** and said he was going to kill him.

He also claimed that he only slapped Zaluska, and then when he went away someone else punched him, which is what caused the injuries.

In addition to my boi Pates, Richard Foster was a pleasant surprise when I interviewed him - although I did get the impression that he’s someone who maybe struggles to take responsibility for mistakes he’s made and someone who has a slightly over-inflated opinion of himself as a footballer (at the time anyway).

The entire Saints squad came across well during that period of time. Tommy was known to sign players based on personality as much as ability, and that seemed very evident to me. John Sutton was a bit boring and socially awkward though. Say what you want about his big brother, but at least he’s got a bit of charisma.

Danny Swanson was infuriating when trying to organise an interview time. On the first occasion (a phone interview), we agreed on a time but he didn’t answer his phone. He sent me a message to say that tomorrow would be better, I phoned him on the following day and he didn’t answer. It was the night before the match programme deadline and I was a bit concerned, so I informed him of this very politely and he just replied ‘I’ve got kids’. So yes, Danny came across as a bit of a wee p***k via WhatsApp. I had to resort to getting someone else to do it at extremely short-notice, which I found more than a bit annoying as a voluntary media employee with a full-time job as well. However, when I eventually talked to Danny a few months later for another match programme, he seemed like a good guy.

Edited by The Real Saints

My pal was a youth team goalie at Aberdeen. Adored Jim Leighton even though he hadn't grown up supporting Aberdeen himself. Had grown his hair long and been wearing a hairband to train for a a week or so with no issue. Leighton asked to see him in the boot room and went mental. Demanded he gets rid of that before the next days session. My pal then went to get a short back and sides straight from training and all was well the next day, never spoke of it again.

My mate was released at the end of that season and didn't lose any respect for Jim until seeing David Preece playing with long hair and a hair band the next season.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

In addition to my boi Pates, Richard Foster was a pleasant surprise when I interviewed him - although I did get the impression that he’s someone who maybe struggles to take responsibility for mistakes he’s made and someone who has a slightly over-inflated opinion of himself as a footballer (at the time anyway).

The entire Saints squad came across well during that period of time. Tommy was known to sign players based on personality as much as ability, and that seemed very evident to me. John Sutton was a bit boring and socially awkward though. Say what you want about his big brother, but at least he’s got a bit of charisma.

Danny Swanson was infuriating when trying to organise an interview time. On the first occasion (a phone interview), we agreed on a time but he didn’t answer his phone. He sent me a message to say that tomorrow would be better, I phoned him on the following day and he didn’t answer. It was the night before the match programme deadline and I was a bit concerned, so I informed him of this very politely and he just replied ‘I’ve got kids’. So yes, Danny came across as a bit of a wee p***k via WhatsApp. I had to resort to getting someone else to do it at extremely short-notice, which I found more than a bit annoying as a voluntary media employee with a full-time job as well. However, when I eventually talked to Danny a few months later for another match programme, he seemed like a good guy.

Ricky Foster was thoroughly pleasant when I spoke to him at a players’ meet-and-greet thing at the club. Took time to chat with my nephew and kick a ball around.  Scott Fox, also contrary to what the scuttlebutt suggests, was also pleasant.  

At the same event, Tony Dingwall sneaked out of  the fire exit for a fag, and Jamie Reckord stood with his headphones on until Marcus Fraser told him to take them off. 

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

You know what... I interviewed Paul Paton for the Saints match programme/official website a few years ago. It was an extremely pleasant surprise.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

In addition to my boi Pates, Richard Foster was a pleasant surprise when I interviewed him -

how many pleasant surprises would you say you had on any given day? 

8 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

how many pleasant surprises would you say you had on any given day? 

None usually. Those are the only two I can recall. Life has been a bit bleak since then and pleasant surprises at a minimum.

Edited by The Real Saints

6 hours ago, Blaze said:

While at Morton, Derek Mcinnes and a couple of his stooges offered me and a mate a square go outside The Institute nightclub in Paisley. 

He used to strut about with his fake tan and red denim jacket wishing he played for  St Mirren. I might have mentioned to him that he was a soap dodging wee ned or words to that effect.

After standing face to face for a few minutes both of us giving it "come on then" it fizzled out and I got a taxi home.

Great days indeed. 

I do enjoy the common thread in the conclusion of such stories of how the poster always manages to retain their respect in difficult and potentially embarrassing circumstances. 

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

None usually. Those are the only two i can recall. Life has been a bit bleak since then and pleasant surprises at a minimum.

ha sorry to hear that.

The mozzarella mini balls in Waitrose were reduced in price today and that gave me quite the pleasant surprise.