Footballers who aren't nice people

Paul Paton is a terrible human being, and has a wildly disproportionate ratio of talent to ego. Talking about his plans after leaving St Johnstone(which he portrayed as a travesty of injustice), he said he would retire from football rather than go any lower than the Scottish Premiership. Yes, that's Paul Paton, currently on loan from Lowland League East Kilbride to League 1 Airdrie.

Stuart Duff and Sean Dillon are sound.

9 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Oh, and Martin Boyle is a good guy.

When i was struggling badly with my mental health last year. Boyle sent me a message on Instagram asking if I was ok and if i needed any help. 

Top man!

10 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/SHAMELESS%3B+EXCLUSIVE+Rat+Caldwell+paraded+wife+on+the+pitch..+while...-a0163618646

doesnt shock me 😐 

Other than that - nothing really first hand, but Scott Fox was a bit of a dick especially at our POTY event. iirc he was asked to say a few words, got handed a mic, mumbled "it's been a pleasure", dropped the mic to the floor and walked off.

In saying that Adam Strachan was far, far worse. Think off the top of my head he:

- was involved in a fight/complete debacle with club captain at the time Marc Smyth at a Christmas do, can't remember if Strachan got punted but I'm sure we terminated Smyth's contract over it

- got caught by the police at least once, with £2000 worth of class A drugs

- headbutted his girlfriend at a bus stop and also threatened to stab her

No surprised that he later signed for Clyde.

Wanks:

Paul Paton. Offered me a square go on the pitch the day we were presented with the league trophy in 2013. Spent the rest of the night offering our fans out on social media during a team night out in Glasgow.

Paul McGowan. Stuck his shoulder into my mate for no reason and started trying to scrap with him. Had to be pulled away by his embarrassed missus.

Good guys:

Lionel Ainsworth, Ally McCoist, John Brown, Conrad Balatoni, Christie Elliot, James Craigen, Chris Erskine and Tommy Burns.

I've never met many players but Bertie Auld, Alan Irvine, Alex McDonald, Robert Fleck, Mo Johnston and Chic Charnley were all sound when I met them.

A taxi driving mate told me Neil Lennon was a dick, I was told that John Spencer was pretty sketchy running about with some dangerous people and that Sean Fallon was so stupid he had to be watered to keep breathing.

Also, Alex Ferguson's niece knocked back a mate of mine who had a lot of luck with the ladies and he was pretty negative about her. She was a sort of wid in a strange alternative/arty school kind of way.

1 hour ago, RB-Scotland said:

Paul Paton is a terrible human being, and has a wildly disproportionate ratio of talent to ego. Talking about his plans after leaving St Johnstone(which he portrayed as a travesty of injustice), he said he would retire from football rather than go any lower than the Scottish Premiership. Yes, that's Paul Paton, currently on loan from Lowland League East Kilbride to League 1 Airdrie.

Stuart Duff and Sean Dillon are sound.

I just went back and had a look to see where Paton was playing the night I had met him, as I assumed it was Dundee United due to the fact he was out with Mark Durnan. Wikipedia tells me he was actually at Plymouth Argyle, where he made the grand total of 3 appearances. I assume this was at the time of Derek Adams tenure as manager of PA, where anyone who could spell SPL got a contract down there.

I’ve genuinely never been in the company of anyone, footballer or not, who spent as much time as he did sitting silently with a constant glower on his coupon. As I said earlier, I don’t think he’s the worst player to ever grace Scottish footballs top flight, and on his day he could do a job as a midfield spoiler. As a person however, he seems to have a highly inflated and unwarranted perspective of what he is, and came across like people who happened not to have a job as a footballer were beneath him. 

46 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

I've never met many players but Bertie Auld, Alan Irvine, Alex McDonald, Robert Fleck, Mo Johnston and Chic Charnley were all sound when I met them.

Never met Bertie Auld myself, and was far too young to ever see him play, but had obviously heard the stories of old Celtic teams and he was always mentioned in high regard, as a person and a player. 

The company that I served my apprenticeship with took on two graduates for a couple of months work experience and one of them was Bertie Aulds grand daughter. I happened to mention to my Uncle that Bertie Aulds grand daughter was working along side me, and he ran out the room and came back with a framed photo of him and Bertie infront of the Parkhead tunnel, along with an old Celtic jersey he had. He asked if I could get the photo and jersey signed and I said I would ask the question but not promising anything. When I took them into work and asked the question to his grand daughter she said yes of course she would get them signed and back into me the next day.

Not only did she get them both signed, she asked if my Uncle had any plans for the weekend, and that her Grandpa would like to invite him to the hospitality at Parkhead as his guest. I didn’t get to attend myself, and have never actually met Bertie Auld, but my Uncle was absolutely delighted, to say the least. Bertie was a hero of his growing up and he still speaks about him like he’s a member of the family, and even though this happened around 2006, he talks about the day he had at Parkhead almost every time I’m with him. I didn’t actually do anything of note but I’m proud my chance encounter ended with my Uncle getting a day in Bertie Aulds company. 

Met a number of Ayr players over the years and most have been decent, but ones who stick out as total bellends were Jamie McKernon, Alan Trouten and Keighan Parker.

Top marks to Martyn Campbell and Michael Moffatt though, both gentlemen.

Ryan Stevenson was chatting to folk in Tesco in Ayr a while back when me and the Mrs were in early one Sunday morning...had his boy with him and was clearly getting his weeks shoppin and still made time to chat to a couple of the folk who approached him.

2 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

Met a number of Ayr players over the years and most have been decent, but ones who stick out as total bellends were Jamie McKernon, Alan Trouten and Keighan Parker.

Top marks to Martyn Campbell and Michael Moffatt though, both gentlemen.

was chatting to folk in Tesco in Ayr a while back when me and the Mrs were in early one Sunday morning...had his boy with him and was clearly getting his weeks shoppin and still made time to chat to a couple of the folk who approached him.

I spent an evening at a birthday party in Ayr with Ryan and despite being in a room with local business guys who were Millionaires he was still giving it the big one. Nice enough lad but poor fella thought he was Beckham. 
Pleased to hear he has matured 👍🏻

I was a mascot for the Rovers when I was 10. I was a big lanky kid and had newborn giraffe style legs that I was really conscious of. 

Even more so when I heard Philip Burn make a comment about how skinny I was. I can laugh about it now but it totally ruined my day and exacerbated my lack of confidence. 

Met John Spencer in the tea room at Stark's and he was a top man. One of those folk you take to instantly. Saw him at Airdrie a few weeks later and he was over talking about how the game went. Good guy. 

Big Nando Mendy has to be the friendliest player in world football. Just pipping Marvin Andrews. 

11 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That's ironic because there was a rumour going around Aberdeen at the time that he wanted to leave because of it's lack of LGBT nightlife...

Aye, that's why I commented on it.

Still a believable story of course. Wouldn't be the first (alleged) gay man to use it in a slur.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Fitba players da's are funny creatures. I remember having a nose to nose bawling match with Jack Baird's dad at Palmerston. 

I was sitting with my own dad and at a normal level talking about how Baird would do fine replacing Harry Davis (who'd been injured vs Dundee Utd a few days earlier). I mentioned that Baird was a decent enough replacement despite not being as technically strong as Davis. A guy in his 50s in front of me stood up turned round and went off 'I'm fucking sick of boo boys like you, give the guy a break.... Yadda yadda' 

Despite me not booing him, not even criticising him but making a low toned observation. So as he stood up so did I and it descended into a few seconds of raised voices, it ended with me going 'what's it to you anyway, you his fucking da or something?' and to my surprise he throws back 'aye, I am', so I politely advised him that if he was going to take the huff any time someone said something about his lad that he didn't agree with, he'd be better off requesting comps and going over to the main stand in future. 

I had a similar experience with Jack Baird's da at an away game at Falkirk. He turned round looking furious and started giving a few folk pelters for being "vile boo boys", not realising that it was actually John Baird who was getting dog's abuse. This was explained to him, he turned back around silently then moved seats at half time. 😃

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Delightful to have all my instincts about Paul Paton confirmed. I'd love a recording of what was going through his head in this photo. JS58075382.jpeg

Was it ever confirmed that it was Paton who knocked out the Celtic keeper Zaluska in Ashton Lane a few years ago? That was such a weird incident. Jim Goodwin happened to be out for a drink with his wife that night and was there moments after Zaluska got punched and went over to make sure he was okay. 

Ive just Googled it and Paton was charged with assault and fined £500. His reason for punching Zaluska is because the keeper said ‘you are Rangers’ to Paton  :lol: 

While at Morton, Derek Mcinnes and a couple of his stooges offered me and a mate a square go outside The Institute nightclub in Paisley. 

He used to strut about with his fake tan and red denim jacket wishing he played for  St Mirren. I might have mentioned to him that he was a soap dodging wee ned or words to that effect.

After standing face to face for a few minutes both of us giving it "come on then" it fizzled out and I got a taxi home.

Great days indeed. 

36 minutes ago, Blaze said:

While at Morton, Derek Mcinnes and a couple of his stooges offered me and a mate a square go outside The Institute nightclub in Paisley. 

He used to strut about with his fake tan and red denim jacket wishing he played for  St Mirren. I might have mentioned to him that he was a soap dodging wee ned or words to that effect.

After standing face to face for a few minutes both of us giving it "come on then" it fizzled out and I got a taxi home.

Great days indeed. 

image.jpeg.32c606b75758a4a94b1275f2af844fd0.jpeg