Footballers who aren't nice people

On 28/03/2021 at 10:32, Bob Mahelp said:

I tend to believe that older generation footballers were far more in touch with the fans and therefore much more personable.  I've met Bertie Auld a few times and he's a lovely, lovely man. 

I've met Bertie Auld once, and he offered me a square go.

He was brilliant, a lovely man.

Don Cowie was a bit of an arsehole at school, liked throwing his weight around as one of the football players. He's apparently sound now, and Dingwall Academy had a habit of turning most people into c***s while they were there.

Edited by Comrie

On 28/03/2021 at 09:47, Tynierose said:

Met the late Tommy Burns at a charity event once and he really was a  lovely genuine man, a sad loss.

Craig Levein was surprisingly very nice.  

On the other hand Neil Lennon was an absolute cock when I had the misfortune of meeting him at a game, complained about everything that day, even the grass was to hard, the perimeter wall was too close to the pitch, and shockingly a few kids had the temerity to have asked for his autograph which was also a fault.

Wee Hearts fanny Kris O Neil who scored one goal giving it the big do you know who I am in Eros/Elite in early 2000s, naw lad, nobody knows who you are, jog on.

The biggest bell end of the lot though was the dreadful Anthony Stokes, I saw first hand him start a fight in a pub only to shite it and run behind his group of mates who bailed him out, seemingly that's his modus operandi.  Grade A c**t.

This reminds me of years ago when The Mrs and I were in Molly Malones,next to Sauchiehall Street  and Neil Lennon,John Hartson,Johan Mjallby and about a dozen hangers on were being loud and obnoxious.

Neil Lennon barged past the Mrs to get served first only for her indoors to tell him to wait in line.

A wee war of words broke out between us and the group with the Mrs declaring "I don't care if you are Neil Lennon or John Lennon,you don't jump the queue to be served first".

The hangers on didn't take this too kindly although Neil himself defused the situation to be fair...and he waited his turn lol.

One of my good pals was best man at Derek Ferguson's wedding,my brother played in boys club teams with Barry,Lee McCulloch,Paul Hartley etc and any football  players I have met have been good guys with a few exceptions.

The exceptions were Raith Rovers players John McStay and Peter Heatherston who were taking the piss out of Jose Quitongo in Hamilton Palace because he couldn't speak English properly and a few of us took umbrage on Jose' behalf before bouncers defused the situation.

Conversely, his cousin Paul McStay who was three years above me at school was a fantastic,modest guy.Probably too modest in a way.

Some Accies fans don't like Paul Hartley, but I have always found him ok.After scoring the winner for Celtic at New Douglas Park in the Billy Reid era(I can only remember the score 1-2), he was driving past Peacock Cross and rolled the window down shouting " get it up yae Mitchy".I  gave  him a jokey Harvey Smith salute and we both laughed.

Edited by Ye Olde Hamiltonian

6 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

The exceptions were Raith Rovers players John McStay and Peter Heatherston who were taking the piss out of Jose Quitongo in Hamilton Palace because he couldn't speak English properly and a few of us took umbrage on Jose' behalf before bouncers defused the situation.

You should take a listen to his appearance on the football daft podcast where he takes the piss out of himself for the exact same thing. The guy comes across as a proper character and an absolute nutter

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

You should take a listen to his appearance on the football daft podcast where he takes the piss out of himself for the exact same thing. The guy comes across as a proper character and an absolute nutter

I was going to make a clever joke about him being the nuttee rather than the nutter, until I realised you were talking about Quitongo and not McStay

On 27/03/2021 at 23:29, Flybhoy said:

As it's all a bit quiet on the forum compared to the pre Covid times of scandal and gossip how about your tales of footballers, past and present, famous or nonentities who you have met or even know who you have found to be a complete Charlie Uniform November Tango...?

I once had the dubious honour of being in the company of Alan Main many years ago for a few hours and he was one the most obnoxious, arrogant, unlikeable bell ends I have ever met, a few comments out of earshot from his then St Johnstone team mates revealed he was equally unpopular in the dressing room.. an absolute divot of a guy, I bet even his mum thinks he's a dick.

No surprise that a so-called professional who threw a game to help his former teammates would be a c**t outwith the game.

Cue Saintees fans posting that picture of the p***k...don't bother.

On 27/03/2021 at 23:29, Flybhoy said:

A good mate of mine and big Rangers fan.. who you would certainly put in the 'staunch' bracket informs me that, legend at the club he may be, any blue nose who has been at a sash bash where Andy Goram has been the guest of honour have commented that he is a particularly horrific individual, which I'm sure will surprise absolutely no one, he told me a tale that I can't repeat on here as it's so shocking but...DM me for the gossip...😎😀

On 28/03/2021 at 09:56, GAD said:

Every other footballer I've ever briefly met has been perfectly pleasant, including Andy Goram to be fair.

On 28/03/2021 at 10:12, Jinky67 said:

Charlie Miller also, one of my kids was a mascot for a charity OF game a few years back and the kids were all given these half and half Celtic/Rangers strips to wear and my lad had his own Celtic top underneath so afterwards all the kids were trying to get signatures and to his credit even Andy Goram was superb with them giving his time and signing away, Miller refused to sign the strip and just came across as an absolute arse 

On 28/03/2021 at 10:32, Aidan said:

Andy Goram is a bellend. 

On 28/03/2021 at 10:43, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm in Camp Goram, met him a few times and always decent. I think drink and company can have an adverse effect on him. Ditto Graham Roberts.

On 28/03/2021 at 12:20, 8MileBU said:

As already mentioned by a few folk, Andy Goram is an utter w**k.

Mixed reviews on Goram then. Almost as if it's two seperate guys...

Edited by deej

43 minutes ago, deej said:

Mixed reviews on Goram then. Almost as if it's two seperate guys...

I think @Sergeant Wilson’s post which you quoted above pretty much sums him up. There’s the Goram that’s sober and the one that’s had a few. There’s Goram who’s got cash and the one that pisses it up the wall.

I think [mention=4731]Sergeant Wilson[/mention]’s post which you quoted above pretty much sums him up. There’s the Goram that’s sober and the one that’s had a few. There’s Goram who’s got cash and the one that pisses it up the wall.
So the song about him has been wrong all this time? From what you say it seems there's actually 4 Andy Gorams.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:
2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:
I think [mention=4731]Sergeant Wilson[/mention]’s post which you quoted above pretty much sums him up. There’s the Goram that’s sober and the one that’s had a few. There’s Goram who’s got cash and the one that pisses it up the wall.

So the song about him has been wrong all this time? From what you say it seems there's actually 4 Andy Gorams.

I suppose so, yes.