Footballers who aren't nice people

I've met Willie Miller many times and he is a dick. Alex Ferguson can be funny and engaging company.

Ally McCoist is a good lad as you might expect. Neil Lennon is a decent guy in my experience.

Kenny Miller is quite rude. Steven Fletcher is surprisingly friendly and polite. Steven Davis is a really good lad.

I went and searched the web to see what Russell Anderson is up to now and if he is actually a Tory. His ghastly LinkedIn complete with disingenuous short articles written by him about how to dodge tax suggests that he indeed is a massive Tory. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I've met Willie Miller many times and he is a dick. Alex Ferguson can be funny and engaging company.

Ally McCoist is a good lad as you might expect. Neil Lennon is a decent guy in my experience.

Kenny Miller is quite rude. Steven Fletcher is surprisingly friendly and polite. Steven Davis is a really good lad.

I went and searched the web to see what Russell Anderson is up to now and if he is actually a Tory. His ghastly LinkedIn complete with disingenuous short articles written by him about how to dodge tax suggests that he indeed is a massive Tory. 

A financial advisor, isn't he?

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I understand both sides of the argument. Don't think there's much issue in players having a drink but acting like arseholes is a different story.

Tend to feel that players shouldn't be falling about a fast food takeaway win, lose or draw to be honest.

Who said there's no problem with players acting like arseholes?

Who said that it was fine for players to be falling about fast food places?

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Who said players shouldn't go out for a drink?

A strange angle you've taken here.

Plenty of folk say it after their team loses. You even posted an anecdote about it

59 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Mulgrew asked him what he did for a living. Upon being told the lad was a joiner he asked if he would still go out for a few pints if he nailed a bit of wood wrong earlier in the day. 

:lol: that's absolutely sensational. He's bang on too tbh.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

A financial advisor, isn't he?

He is indeed. The sort of financial advisor who makes a living from suggesting ways in which wealthy people can avoid paying all sorts of taxes then criticises the Scottish Government for their handling of public affairs on his social media. 

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm

Bumped into Stevie Mallan, Mark Durnan and Paul Paton in a pub in Glasgow a few years back and ended up in their company for a few hours. I’ve known Mallan since I was about 13 and he’s a very sound guy, not a bad word to say about him. Durnan was brand new also and I got on well with him, although we were both very drunk and I’m sure he wouldn’t know me from Adam nowadays. 

Paul Paton, however, was an absolute whopper of a man. He didn’t crack a smile all night and had a constant growl on his face. I know this is said about a lot of footballers, but he was genuinely walking about the pub like he was Cristiano Ronaldo. Even Durnan said he was a bit of a dick when I asked what his problem was. He grew up in Linwood which is not far from where I stay, and I have a few mutual acquaintances of his, but there’s not too many people have a good word to say about him. 

Just now, Malcolm Malcolm said:

He is indeed. The sort of financial advisor who makes a living from suggesting ways in which wealthy people can avoid paying all sorts of taxes then criticises the Scottish Government for their handling of public affairs on his social media. 

Aye. Had a quick gander at his twitter and some of his likes were enough to bring my supper back up.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I met Andy Goram in a Romanian pub where Rangers fans had gathered prior to a champions league game away against Unirea Urziceni. He was nice enough with the fans, having photos taken and chatting away but was definitely a bit arrogant when it came to the staff. Clicking his fingers to get their attention to take his order whilst not getting up from his seat and no please or thank yous. He did tip them very well though so he wasn’t a complete dick at least.

Randomly bumped into Benni McCarthy in a night club in Edinburgh. I think he was coaching at Hibs at the time and he was very nice and took time to chat away without it seeming like it was a chore.

Also ended up in a pub in Prague while on a stag do and Ricky Foster was there but he seemed quite quiet so no real opinion on him other than never forgiving him for a shocking miss against Valencia.

Sounds like a venereal disease...

I find talking to footballers a normally toe-curling experience and try my level best to avoid it, but I'd just like to put another unsurprising tick in the good guy column for Lewis Stevenson. Nice almost to a fault, you get the sense that even after sixteen years as a professional football he still can't quite believe he's making a living off it and being adored by all. :lol:

You know you support a small club when you can tell that one of the players clearly recognises you on the street in the centre of Glasgow and you say hello to each other. Graham Mitchell who later played for Hibs way back in the 1980s. Once was on the train in the same era from Dundee heading into Glasgow with Paul Sturrock and Richard Gough who were on there way to an international call up. Paul Sturrock was really friendly chatting away with everybody close by enjoying his 15 minutes of fame, while Richard Gough clearly had no time for anybody that wasn't a fellow professional and completely blanked a Dundee United fan who tried to start a conversation and shake his hand. I've never met a nice South African and that's not bloody surprising man basically. Haven't run into any well known Scottish footballers since then to an extent that I could gauge anything about what they are like in real life.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Met a few Saints players in various Paisley pubs/clubs, mostly in the 80's/90's  and they've all been fine.

Frank McAvennie used to come over and have a chat, because he recognised me from the physio's room at Love Street.

Met Campbell Money a few times and he always came across as a decent guy.

Met Hugh Murray in Shuttle Street pub after the game where he scored against Stirling Albion to prevent us from being relegated to the second division. He was completely pished and kept saying that he was a legend.

Tommy Turner came to a party, to celebrate Saints promotion in the Tom Hendrie era, at my parent's house, and was a gentleman. Despite me and my mates being absolutely steaming and insisting on numerous photo opportunities.

Norrie McWhirter was a really funny guy.

Also encountered Dave McPherson and Craig Moore in the Watermill Hotel in Paisley on McPherson's stag night. Think there was only four of them in total in his stag party.:lol: They were both happy to chat and seemed O.K.

Didn't meet Tony Fitzpatrick when he was a player, but have had dealings with him over the past few years and, like others have said, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. As was Tommy Burns. 

Jock Wallace was a gent too. He was my mate's father-in-law's best pal. Used to always take the piss out of us for supporting St.Mirren, but took our returned abuse of the dead team in good humour.

The only one I remember being a bit of a walloper, was Alex Miller when he was manager at Saints. 

Edited by FTOF

5 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Who would’ve guessed that the person with the most stories would be 8Mile.

I’ve more stories and meets too! All Celtic or ex Celtic players. Haven’t a bad word to say about any of them though. Away and start a “Footballers who are nice people” thread Dindy and I’ll tell you all x 

I once held a door for Chris Maguire and he didn't say thanks or even acknowledge me. It is a relatively minor infraction in the grand scheme of things, but I still feel a pang of resentment these days whenever I see that he has scored for Sunderland.

I knew Jim Morton for a few years, long past of St Johnstone et al, courtesy of an ex, who is very close friends with his wife.  Nothing bad to say about him - cracking company on a night out. A good bloke.

I’ve told this on here before but in Glasgow airport in 2009 my mates and I were heading to Salou and I went for a piss in one of the airport toilets and as I was stood there Ronald De Boer came in and pissed in the urinal next to me. 

Naturally I had a look and he has an enormous penis. 

I held the door open for him as we finished washing our hands at the same time. Asked him for a picture (of me and him, not of his penis) and he obliged gracefully. 

An old colleague bumped in to Jamie Langfield at the Premier League darts. Was one of the first years they were at the old AECC.

Asked if he could get a photo with his mate. Clangers told him it was no bother with that big toothy grin.

Upon being handed the phone he exclaimed 'you want me to take a photo of you two?". When he was told that was their intention he handed back the phone, shook his head and told them where to go.