Raith Rovers v Dunfermline Athletic

4 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

Has he always been this bad? I read that he made Wales Squad for the last Euros which would indicate that either his form has dropped dramatically or there were only 3 Welsh goalies available for selection and he made the cut by default.

Yes.

He started off well enough in Inverness but then goals like last night became commonplace. 

That was the perfect storm last night of the pars looking disillusioned and having no cohesion along with rovers hitting their stride with their strongest 11 playing to full potential.

Fucking glorious it was.

13 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Just watched the highlights and after our 5th and when walking to the half way line it looks like McManus is gesturing towards the Raith players. Absolutely hate him.

You can hear Hendry under the replays shouting something like "Fifteen minutes, fucking get back at them" and it's looks like that's what McManus has taken exception to. 

Pretty tame stuff, but it never has taken much for young Declan to make his displeasure known. 

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

You can hear Hendry under the replays shouting something like "Fifteen minutes, fucking get back at them" and it's looks like that's what McManus has taken exception to. 

Pretty tame stuff, but it never has taken much for young Declan to make his displeasure known. 

Hendry sounds like the type of player I'd want in my team. Doesn't matter if we're beating your biggest rivals 5-1, you want to get more and humiliate them as much as possible. 

A great display by us, I hope that we can keep at this level till the end of the season. If not, 1-0 wins are just fine. I also hope to hear that our main players are re-signing on long contracts.

Hendry put his finger on the game in his interview, that Dunfermline unlike most visiting teams came to play us rather than sit in. No doubt they thought they'd come here and turn us over 4-1 again, thinking they'd outplay us at our own game.

10 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

No doubt they thought they'd come here and turn us over 4-1 again, thinking they'd outplay us at our own game.

Crawford himself said after the match:

We came into the game with a similar game plan to the last time. That doesn’t guarantee that it is going to work but that was probably one of our better performances of the season at East End when we won 4-1.’

Kind of sums up the Dunfermline fan’s frustration with him. Approaching with the same game plan because it worked 2 months ago, completely ignoring the fact our personnel and formation would be totally different to that night. 

‘We came into the game with a similar game plan to the last time. That doesn’t guarantee that it is going to work but that was probably one of our better performances of the season at East End when we won 4-1.’
Kind of sums up the Dunfermline fan’s frustration with him. Approaching with the same game plan because it worked 2 months ago, completely ignoring the fact our personnel and formation would be totally different to that night. 
Comes with a similar game plan yet plays a different formation and completely different personnel.

5 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
11 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:
‘We came into the game with a similar game plan to the last time. That doesn’t guarantee that it is going to work but that was probably one of our better performances of the season at East End when we won 4-1.’

Comes with a similar game plan yet plays a different formation and completely different personnel.

Yeah, I thought that was odd. Came with a similar game plan but left out Iain Wilson, who I thought was man of the match at East End Park and the key part of that game plan. I know there were other changes but given the game was always likely to be decided by the middle of the park battle, Wilson was the one name I was delighted to see on the bench.

Edited by R.R.FC

51 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

We came into the game with a similar game plan to the last time. That doesn’t guarantee that it is going to work but that was probably one of our better performances of the season at East End when we won 4-1.’

I didn't see that. He didn't reckon on us having our best team out, better weather and playing on our own pitch.

That first goal is absolutely beautiful.  The wee interplay in their own half to get the breakaway and the precise through-ball for the scorer.

Granted it helped playing against a defence of traffic cones.

Really shows how well Hendry can control a game when our midfield is setup so be so flexible in positions in that formation.

Il hold my hands up and admit that seeing the formation the last couple of games other than putting 2 up top I couldn't see the reasoning. After playing our strongest midfield giving them the freedom to interchange and keep Dunfermline guessing was fantastic to see.

If that is what the long term plan was from McGlynn when we started using it then well played. Hopefully the likes of Tait and Armstrong are able to easily adapt to it as well.

Well that was a complete and utter humiliation. My only solace is that fans couldn't be at the ground meaning we weren't subjected to the taunting and cajoling that we would've rightly deserved on the back of that.

First of all what a well coached side Rovers are. I think it was fairly obvious the critical difference between the 4-1 game at EEP and last night's was that Hendry was playing. I was quite surprised he didn't get man of the match but then the Vaughan narrative makes sense. I've watched a few Rovers games this season and in the one's in which they have lost Hendry's role in the game has been diminished - saying that a lot of the games I have watched involving Rovers have been midweek!

In terms of the Pars I think Stevie tinkered with the starting 11 from the Dundee game far too much. I felt Henderson was needed in the midfield alongside with Wilson and Banks in for Fraser Murray. A brand new central midfield pairing against one of the slickest midfields in the league was a big risk and it showed.

I could understand why he changed the shape mid way through the 1st half but switching to a back 3, a formation we haven't used at any point this season, screamed of desperation. Players weren't tight and I think they were just completely perplexed at what their roles were. Surely if Crawford wanted to tighten the midfield and starve the flow of the ball to Hendry, we would've switched to a 4411 - a formation of which we are used to and allows us to be 'stuffy' if unspectacular when necessary.

The 2nd half subs will rightly be thrown at Crawford but to be honest the game was done once he had committed to the formation change. Credit to Gullan for his 2nd goal - great pick out when you consider the complete lack of composure from Murray seconds before!

I was expecting to see today that that was Crawford out today but the longer the day has gone in it looks as though we are sticking with. I can only see this going the same way as the season we dovetailed and were lucky to avoid the relegation play offs due to some good early season form. Our form seems to replicate that of an iffy winger - about 1 good game in 10 and that has been quite a common theme of Crawford's time in charge. Time for a change....

Rovers will make the play offs for sure and if they can play to last nights standards, and find a plan b when playing poorly, they have a good chance going up. It would be somewhat poetic if they did relegate John Hughes Ross County!

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

He's chatting absolute shite though. If he had approached last night like how he approached the 4-1 game I would've been delighted, but he blatently fucking didn't. 

For the 4-1 game we played a 4411/4231, with Dow playing a withdrawn role behind McManus, we effectively played with a 5 man midfield so we could pressure Raith there and stop them having easy ball in midfield. 

We then supplemented that with Wilson and Mayo in centre mid, now I think Mayo is a bit shit, however he is a bit more physical, aggressive and a defensive player, with Wilson being a box to box type. 

Last night we started off in a weird fucking 442 where our fullbacks were doing something wild and pressuring really high up, we had Wighton and O'Hara upfront who are out and out strikers, neither of whom at any point played the Dow role. While in centre mid we had McInroy and Henderson, neither of them are capable of playing defensively, both would like to be Cams, it's little wonder we were then exposed time, and time, and time again as Raith with an extra man in that part played around two attacking midfielders who had no idea where they should be, when to press and who was attacking. 

Of course we then changed after half an hour, and rather than making a sub and going to a 451/4231. We went for a 5 at the back formation? With Fraser Murray at right wing back? With Raith then immediately scoring down our right. 

It's an outright lie to say he set us up the same, he didn't, at all. 

Ofw

Comrie-Mayo-Murray-Edwards

----------Whittaker-Wilson

Banks-------Henderson------Murray

-------------Wighton

Would've set us up more similar 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

He's chatting absolute shite though. If he had approached last night like how he approached the 4-1 game I would've been delighted, but he blatently fucking didn't. 

For the 4-1 game we played a 4411/4231, with Dow playing a withdrawn role behind McManus, we effectively played with a 5 man midfield so we could pressure Raith there and stop them having easy ball in midfield. 

We then supplemented that with Wilson and Mayo in centre mid, now I think Mayo is a bit shit, however he is a bit more physical, aggressive and a defensive player, with Wilson being a box to box type. 

Last night we started off in a weird fucking 442 where our fullbacks were doing something wild and pressuring really high up, we had Wighton and O'Hara upfront who are out and out strikers, neither of whom at any point played the Dow role. While in centre mid we had McInroy and Henderson, neither of them are capable of playing defensively, both would like to be Cams, it's little wonder we were then exposed time, and time, and time again as Raith with an extra man in that part played around two attacking midfielders who had no idea where they should be, when to press and who was attacking. 

Of course we then changed after half an hour, and rather than making a sub and going to a 451/4231. We went for a 5 at the back formation? With Fraser Murray at right wing back? With Raith then immediately scoring down our right. 

It's an outright lie to say he set us up the same, he didn't, at all. 

Ofw

Comrie-Mayo-Murray-Edwards

----------Whittaker-Wilson

Banks-------Henderson------Murray

-------------Wighton

Would've set us up more similar 

All of this is spot on,  desperately trying to see what Crawford was on about I’m guessing he thinks last nights starting team was just about similar to the side that played the last game after Dow went off(and crucially we were 2-0 up). And even that completely ignores the massive difference between mayo/Wilson and mcinroy/Henderson as a midfield pairing.