Raith Rovers v Dunfermline Athletic

Fully prepared for this to come back and make me look stupid but I am surprised at the amount of people worried King will start tomorrow. I think there is 0% John McGlynn starts him and I would actually be surprised if he even makes the squad.

He is the weakest of our 5 central midfield options and McGlynn knows that. He’ll play certain games as McGlynn continues to rotate the squad but not a game as important as this. 

Edited by R.R.FC

We certainly have the players to win this but confidence must be very low now.

It can turn around quickly, but when you look at our form since November, this is more than a blip in form. There's fundamental issues with the management of these players, that's unlikely to change until they are removed.

55 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Fully prepared for this to come back and make me look stupid but I am surprised at the amount of people worried King will start tomorrow. I think there is 0% John McGlynn starts him and I would actually be surprised if he even makes the squad.

He is the weakest of our 5 central midfield options and McGlynn knows that. He’ll play certain games as McGlynn continues to rotate the squad but not a game as important as this. 

I hope you're right, but how do you know what McGlynn is thinking? I've often wondered why managers, especially McGlynn, have totally different perceptions to the fans of how a player is performing. Maybe they're just happy for a particular role to be filled whereas we see shite control and passing.

24 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I hope you're right, but how do you know what McGlynn is thinking? I've often wondered why managers, especially McGlynn, have totally different perceptions to the fans of how a player is performing. Maybe they're just happy for a particular role to be filled whereas we see shite control and passing.

You’re right, I don’t know what he’s thinking but I can only go on what I have seen, in terms of playing time awarded by the manager since he joined. King has only completed one 90 minutes since he joined, a cup game against League Two opposition. We have played 11 games in that time.

If you are looking at minutes played of our 5 central midfielders since King joined it would look like this (Remember that in the period since King joined, Matthews has missed 4 games injured, Hendry 2 through suspension and Spencer and Tait have missed one game each whilst King has been available for every game):

Hendry: 720 minutes   
Spencer: 602 minutes     
Tait: 495 minutes     
Matthews: 404 minutes   
King: 304 minutes

Which proves to me where McGlynn views King in the pecking order. King is also the only one to miss out on a place in the 18 when fit. Also worth noting that since our run of midweek games began, due to McGlynn’s rotation, only Hendry and Kennedy have started 3 games in a row from our midfield/attackers. Having started the last 2 games King will drop out here. 

3 hours ago, P.C said:

We now have a bit of momentum after 2 back to back wins. The question now is what do we consider as our strongest lineup and formation to play.

I honestly think we go back to our original formation with 2 wingers. Know we changed it and got us the 2 wins but I think we need that width in this game.

For me I'd go

Macdonald

Tumilty Bene Frankie Macdonald

Hendry Matthews Vaughan

Armstrong Kennedy

Duku

Think Duku just shades a start after his much improved performance in 2nd half against Morton. We need someone who can hold the ball up.

Vaughan is getting back on form and definitely looked one of the more creative outlets last few games he has come on. Though got a feeling he might settle for having Spencer in there, who let's be fair has had a pretty good season so far.

I was really hoping Abrahams would of kicked on and at least gave us some competition out wide with us pace but the only thing he has done is pick up needless bookings.

Fairly good points and probably pretty close to what JMcG rolls out tomorrow. I would suggest that Tait is the one picking up needless bookings, though. As for the proposed line-up:

Not sold on Duku, so slot Gullan in there.

Hate Armstrong’s current form, but JMcG likes him as his little ball of hate, so I guess he’ll play...other option though is who? Tait, who is getting borderline Davoish in his behavior drawing cards? Vaughan, who likes playing a wee bit deeper and either left or center?

I think this game has draw written all over it.

I can understand Pars fans writing off their chances before a ball's kicked and also many Raith fans lacking in confidence that we can beat them, admittedly myself included.

Yes Dunfermline have been poor of late and Stik1997's post illustrates just exactly how bad, but in reality we are really only 2 wins better off.  

The story so far, Rovers outplayed Pars for long spells at SP in the first game only to lose 2 goals and be left hanging on. The game at EEP was close with nothing much in it until the home team's 2nd goal and then TBH  it could have been 5+.  Wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one Jekyll & Hyde performance in the 3rd game.  It'd be just like it for  Crawford (who I still don't rate) to manage to get them up for it or/and if we don't turn up.

I would really love the current form to continue and the Pars fans concerns to be borne out but the pessimist in me is every bit concerned with my team. So much so that if I have to get off the fence and pick a winner then in all honesty I would say the Pars could shade it as they have slightly the better options.  It's true we have some very good performers in J Mac, K Mac, Tumilty, Musonda, Hendry, Matthews, Kennedy & Vaughan but since Christmas many have been hot and cold. In Murray, Watson, Comrie, Edwards, Mayo, MacInroy, Banks, Henderson and Murray I think the Pars may have the edge on us in quality, add in the fact that Fraz Murray, McManus and Wighton all seem to like a goal against us, all it'll take is half of their guys mentioned above have a good day and a couple of our key players have an off day then it'll be an away win.

Rovers have the better keeper in J Mac, there's not a lot in it regarding fullbacks but I do really rate Comrie, centre half Pars shade it (though probably not if Watson is out), Midfield we have Matthews, Hendry and Kennedy but Pars have Henderson, McInroy, Murray & Banks. It may well come down to the strikers and as I said MacManus and Wighton do like scoring against us.

Edited by Scottydog

Guest Flash
21 hours ago, stik1997 said:

Nov 20th - Dunfermline go top of the league.

Points since:

Hearts 37
Queen of Sth 29
Dundee 28
Inverness CT 26
Raith Rovers 23
Arbroath 21
Ayr 21
Morton 19
Alloa 17
Dunfermline 17

Free fall.

Slightly misleading in that most of the other teams have played 18 games in that period whereas Dunfermline have played 15. This was partly because 20 November was a Friday and most of the other teams hadn’t played that weekend. And Dunfermline are 2 games behind most teams just now.
Based on points per game, Dunfermline would be above Alloa and Morton and only 0.04 ppg below Ayr and Arbroath, which over 18 games is less than 1 point. So, they would be 8th in the table, just a fraction behind 6th.
Admittedly, the figures aren’t great but they are not quite as bad as the table suggests.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

You’re right, I don’t know what he’s thinking but I can only go on what I have seen, in terms of playing time awarded by the manager since he joined. King has only completed one 90 minutes since he joined, a cup game against League Two opposition. We have played 11 games in that time.

If you are looking at minutes played of our 5 central midfielders since King joined it would look like this (Remember that in the period since King joined, Matthews has missed 4 games injured, Hendry 2 through suspension and Spencer and Tait have missed one game each whilst King has been available for every game):

Hendry: 720 minutes   
Spencer: 602 minutes     
Tait: 495 minutes     
Matthews: 404 minutes   
King: 304 minutes

Which proves to me where McGlynn views King in the pecking order. King is also the only one to miss out on a place in the 18 when fit. Also worth noting that since our run of midweek games began, due to McGlynn’s rotation, only Hendry and Kennedy have started 3 games in a row from our midfield/attackers. Having started the last 2 games King will drop out here. 

Well researched. I feel better now!

22 hours ago, stik1997 said:

Nov 20th - Dunfermline go top of the league.

Points since:

Hearts 37
Queen of Sth 29
Dundee 28
Inverness CT 26
Raith Rovers 23
Arbroath 21
Ayr 21
Morton 19
Alloa 17
Dunfermline 17

Free fall.

Alloa would look at the exact same points total and come away with a different conclusion.

Amassing the equivalent to winning a 3rd of the games certainly is not the form you want but free fall is a bit much imo.

This is a big game for Crawford to shore up his place in the top 4 hopefully we see a midfield of Thomas, Banks, Henderson & Wilson

We’ve been a bit ropey for a while. I want to see one of our star turns like Hendry, MacDonald, Duku, or maybe a bit unfair, but Vaughan, putting in a big performance.

To be honest, we have potential quality throughout the squad: Gullan; Armstrong; Kennedy; Tumilty; Tait.

We just need them to remember they are good footballers. Maybe remember that they want to progress in the game and playing well in big games is the best way to make that happen.

Hopefully it happens and we get the win.

5 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I don’t think I would actually.
I won’t be disappointed with a draw at full time, and I’m not sure where our goals will come from, but I wouldn’t settle for a draw now.

How do Pars fans feel?

Yes mate, thats what I want to hear fae you lot!

I'd take a draw all day long! I know not everyone agrees but I believe we are done for the season but obviously I definitely don't want to lose to the Wee Team. If you'd watched every minute of our games like I have you'd feel exactly the same. 

1 hour ago, Stoo61 said:

Would you Rovers boys take a draw in this one, if offered right now? 

No. I would make us favourites to win, a draw would be a disappointment, a defeat would be really bad news but  don't see it happening if McGlynn puts out a team to go for it.

9 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

Would you Rovers boys take a draw in this one, if offered right now? 

Yes, although preferably not with us chucking away a 2 goal lead this time.

I think if we can win our matches against Arbroath and Alloa and draw  our matches against Pars, Dundee and QoS we'll make the top 4.

I wouldn't take a draw personally, given how we threw away a 2 goal lead in the first game and got a complete doing the last time round.  Would be nice to win of the derbies this season.

We would only know how good a draw was after Dunfermline play their game on Saturday I guess.  If Dunfermline get beaten by Hearts, then a draw tonight is great as it take it out of their hands to finish above us.

We've not been conceding goals much lately, or looking like conceding much, and the goals are slowly starting to come back at the other end of the pitch.  We have to be looking to win this one, certainly if we are serious about 2nd place, and probably if we want to finish in the top 4.

Still think we will drop points, however.  Mcmanus in particular just always scores against us.  

Taking a draw right now is a no from me like. It’s a massive game in terms of creating some sort of half decent gap and having to force the pars and Dundee to really string 3/4 wins together, which in this league is near impossible to do, unless your hearts of course

Massive game tonight!  Could really cement our playoff aspirations with a victory!

Always worry about McManus, got to hope without fans actually being there antagonising him into scoring against us he manages to hold off for a change.

Raith fans worrying about McManus? He probably won’t start. That being said, he has 3 goals from open play this season, 2 of them have come against Raith, so I can understand their comments.

I’d go with Wighton and O’Hara together again tonight. Particularly since O’Hara is the only Pars player to score, other than Wighton, since Wighton signed.

Banks has to start and I’d look to find a place for Henderson in the team. Both looked good when they came off the bench at the weekend. Don’t care who gets dropped, probably Thomas. Would imagine Watson will be out, so Mayo will drop back into defence.