Raith Rovers v Dunfermline Athletic

Our trembling, cowering load of shitebags will take the field absolutely terrified of losing after the manager drills the confidence out of them.

They'll be afraid to do things on the ball and will punt it whenever they can. Any shots will be tame and won't trouble the keeper.

If we somehow score first we'll sit deeper and deeper until the inevitable. If the game remains goalless then we'll sit deeper the longer it goes, until the inevitable.

I genuinely think we have to go behind to get anything out of this.

5 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Nice try 🤣

You are sitting 3rd. 3 points behind second. With a game in hand. You’re hardly in free fall.

"Free fall" perhaps the wrong phrase, what with the very nice plush parachute of endemic Championship shiteness but you know what I mean. 

Last time out, we got an absolute doing but I felt we created a lot of problems for ourselves rather than Dunfermline being anything other than efficient in front of goal. The third goal was probably the best example of it: Musonda gave the ball away half way up the pitch and Comrie charged forward and you're expecting to see another defender in shot down by the touchline but MacDonald was miles ahead. It's a huge if but I feel this game hinges upon whether Fraser Murray is going to be a Scott Agnew/James Keatings type player who always has a blinder against us. 

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Last time out, we got an absolute doing but I felt we created a lot of problems for ourselves rather than Dunfermline being anything other than efficient in front of goal. The third goal was probably the best example of it: Musonda gave the ball away half way up the pitch and Comrie charged forward and you're expecting to see another defender in shot down by the touchline but MacDonald was miles ahead. It's a huge if but I feel this game hinges upon whether Fraser Murray is going to be a Scott Agnew/James Keatings type player who always has a blinder against us. 

The turning point came just before half time when Davo went sleep walking, leaving McManus onside one on one with the keeper.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Last bit is a worry of mine, too. Dunfermline have a few players in advanced positions who seem to always have very good games against us. McManus, Wighton and the aforementioned Fraser Murray all regularly enjoy a great performance against us. If they all turn up on the day it’ll be difficult for us, regardless of The Pars’ recent struggles. 

Think a lot of the reason we got thrashed last time was as a result of out own failings, particularly in defence. Hopefully that won't happen again as we were not at the races at all. If we give Dunfermline chances, they will take them. 

I think we ideally start with the team that ended the game v Morton. Vaughan, Matthews and Gullan in for Ugwu, King and Armstrong. Have a feeling McGlynn will play Ugwu up front on his own and revery to the 4-3-2-1 viewing him as better at holding the ball up than Duku, but I'm not convinced. Duku was much better than he'd been for a while once the subs were made on Saturday. 

Not overly confident given how bad we've been in midweek games, but hey the clocks have gone forward...

Edited by Michael W

I was pretty confident going into the last derby, and we got an absolute doing.

Dunfermline were not very good on Saturday, but showed what will happen if we give them any chances.  Plus, Mcmanus and Wighton love a goal against us.

Any win, please.  At least we are defending better, and have started to grind results out.

Has to be the team that finished on Sat really, possibly with Kennedy in there.  Duku looked like a different player once Ugwu went off and Vaughan/Gullan came on, and what a difference having Matthews in the midfield.  Allows Hendry to get further forward, which usually correlates with us playing well.  

As above there were many factors which contributed to our hammering in the last derby. Musonda and Davo had shockers and the ball didn’t stick up front. These issues will hopefully be improved with Bene and Musonda looking promising and Abraham out the side. 

Despite this, I thought the biggest issue last time was the midfield. We lined up with a midfield two of Tait and Spencer and played the last half hour with King and Spencer as a two who are probably our 4th and 5th choice central midfielders although Spencer was one of the only players to get pass marks.

Usually Hendry/Matthews provide some dig and defensive security in midfield and will cover the gaps left when our full backs push forward. However, without them, that didn’t happen leaving huge spaces for Dunfermline to exploit and Iain Wilson, in particular, dominated the midfield giving Dunfermline control. With Hendry and Matthews back and probably a 3 in the middle we should be better placed to compete.

Ultimately, I think man for man Dunfermline have a better players so if they turn up and play to their best it will be difficult. However, the league table shows they aren’t doing that as often as they should be. I am hopeful it won’t be as one sided as last time, we are definitely capable of getting the win and Dunfermline are not in good form, particularly away from home so that gives me hope we can sneak it but I thought that going into the game at EEP.

I think if there’s a loser here they’re probably out of the running for second place. Obviously not mathematically, but unless either side showed a sudden burst of consecutive wins it’d likely mean second was out of reach.

If we win, we’re in a very strong position for the play-offs and probably favourites for second. Lose and you’d fancy at least one of ICT or QoS to edge us out the top 4.

Don’t come much bigger than this.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Ultimately, I think man for man Dunfermline have a better players so if they turn up and play to their best it will be difficult. However, the league table shows they aren’t doing that as often as they should be. I am hopeful it won’t be as one sided as last time, we are definitely capable of getting the win and Dunfermline are not in good form, particularly away from home so that gives me hope we can sneak it but I thought that going into the game at EEP.

So did Falkirk last season, it was claimed, but they didnt play as well as us as a team. We showed in the game at Stark's Park that it's also the case here. The game at EEP was not a true reflectionof that, and we'll have our strongest team out this time.

We now have a bit of momentum after 2 back to back wins. The question now is what do we consider as our strongest lineup and formation to play.

I honestly think we go back to our original formation with 2 wingers. Know we changed it and got us the 2 wins but I think we need that width in this game.

For me I'd go

Macdonald

Tumilty Bene Frankie Macdonald

Hendry Matthews Vaughan

Armstrong Kennedy

Duku

Think Duku just shades a start after his much improved performance in 2nd half against Morton. We need someone who can hold the ball up.

Vaughan is getting back on form and definitely looked one of the more creative outlets last few games he has come on. Though got a feeling he might settle for having Spencer in there, who let's be fair has had a pretty good season so far.

I was really hoping Abrahams would of kicked on and at least gave us some competition out wide with us pace but the only thing he has done is pick up needless bookings.

I too hope we play the wide game which should have brought us a win in the first match, but I suspect McGlynn will stick with Gullan and Ugwu, and I really fear he'll start with King.

PS I hope Watson doesn't recover in time. Their defence isn't the quickest as it is and I think we should play our quickest players, although I'm not sure about Abrahams.

Edited by Raith_Raver

I’d saying playing Mathews is a must for tomorrow night. Gives hendry the chance to get on the ball further up the pitch to play those needle in the hay stack passes we all know he can. I think playing Vaughn and Kennedy behind duku gives us more of a dynamic getting in behind Dunfermlines fairly slow defence also. I just hope king doesn’t start again