Montrose v Clyde

Very finely balanced this one. Montrose keep possession a lot better than we do; they've got the players to do that and they're a more familiar side clearly. We're trading-off a small share of possession against the chance of being able to dispossess or rush Montrose here and there and get goals that way.

I've liked the simplicity of our approach today, whatever happens. I'm not sure with the players we have we could do too much better.

Great point in a game I didn't expect anything from. We played well in the first half but were under the cosh for basically the entire second half. In saying that, Montrose created very little and Mitchell was rarely troubled. We passed up one great chance at the end.

If we can perform like that consistently we've got a chance of staying up, more so the first half performance. Have to hope Lang's injury isn't too bad though.

Very good point that; was expecting a bit of a pasting today. With Dumbarton in disarray and Forfar looking quite hopeless we do have a decent chance of nabbing 8th, if we can get through these two weeks without incurring (m)any injuries. The one benefit of having so many young loanees is their quicker recovery time and superior fitness, so hopefully we will see that in action. If we can take care of the aforementioned sides in head to head games then I don't see either finishing above us.

Never looked like winning it in the end. Barely any possession in the last thirty minutes. Goodwillie obviously knackered.

Good point I think, in the end.

You solve some problems, you create others. Defensively quite tight despite conceding two against a good team. We'll probably get better with games on that front. The midfield is still a bit of a going concern of course. Nicoll can't give you two shifts a week. He's good for 60 minutes a week at best. We don't have anyone in there that can settle things down and we're burning a lot of our energy on the pressing, so will stand to be poorer in possession for that reason.

All that said, when we get deeper into the Saturday-Tuesday swing, I can see the full-time boys paying dividends. If we keep a good rota up, we'll get points, even if we're a bit of a patchwork quilt.

4 points from 6 against Montrose this season is a tremendous return. I think a point each was fair today; the second half was absolutely dire to watch as we settled for the point and Montrose didn't come close to breaking us down. 

I was pleased to see that we abandoned the strategy of playing non-wingers wide out on the touchline and went back to a tighter midfield. For all the criticism our transfer policy has taken (from me included), I thought Otoo, Thomson and Jamieson all look like they'll contribute at this level. I can't actually remember Marky Munro doing anything, which probably isn't a bad thing and maybe indicative of the work Cuddihy did in front of him. Lang and McNiff defended well. McGlinchey is a player that I reckon would look better at the match rather than the TV.

We'll need to rest Goodwillie at some point. Hopefully v Ayr, but no idea if he'll survive until then.

Guest andyp1301
1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Great point in a game I didn't expect anything from. We played well in the first half but were under the cosh for basically the entire second half. In saying that, Montrose created very little and Mitchell was rarely troubled. We passed up one great chance at the end.

If we can perform like that consistently we've got a chance of staying up, more so the first half performance. Have to hope Lang's injury isn't too bad though.

must be a cut the way he was applying pressure as he walked off......walking off a great sign but if  its a week or two out thats 3-6 games without him.....makes things tougher.

All the possession in the second half but created very little. I've said it a few times but we are never going to be serious contenders in this league until we get a proven goalscorer. A point a piece was probably the fair result today. Big Kerr Waddell desrved his MOM. Goodwillie never had a look in and he usually has a field day against us.

Nicoll probably on a 1/10th wage compared to players like bain and cunnnigham who are never mentioned on any forum. Any game or anywhere funny enough cause their guff but for some reason they manage to rack up appeareances.

Nicoll has his linitations but he loves the game (Ask any other club) cause he gets involved and good or bad gets involved..

Not saying hes the answer but he defo aint the problem or close..

Yer Mithers Pride

Guest andyp1301
39 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Nicoll probably on a 1/10th wage compared to players like bain and cunnnigham who are never mentioned on any forum. Any game or anywhere funny enough cause their guff but for some reason they manage to rack up appeareances.

Nicoll has his linitations but he loves the game (Ask any other club) cause he gets involved and good or bad gets involved..

Not saying hes the answer but he defo aint the problem or close..

Yer Mithers Pride

Unbelievably I find myself in agreement with you.........however.....you need to google the definition of Amateur.

Didn't see the game but happy with a point. A place we've been turned over on many occasion. Pleased that Jamieson got a couple of goals, we could do with someone else chipping in rather than relying on Goodie all the time. 

I was on a long list of critics over this signing policy but by all accounts the new young loanees in the team played well today, or had pass marks at least. Lets hope they keep it up.

Lang potentially being out for some games is murder mind you, especially if Howie has any sort of injury then we could be looking at a Rumsby-McNiff partnership in some huge games. 

Edited by C. Muir