Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's very annoying that these scare articles never publish the advice in full or provide a link to it, so we can make up our own minds. I wonder why?

Probably a similar reason to why we get regular puff pieces about colt teams coming to the SPFL, and all the commensurate rewards for the diddies, with no links to the actual meat of the proposal.

(it's all horseshit)

28 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Survived skimming it, thanks.

Thankfully, not a teacher.

Would have thought that this is an area where the parents should be heavily involved, especially in Primary School.

I did read it and couldn't find anywhere the main point of the Mail's story about parents not being told. 

My only question would be why the government spend so much time and effort on this incredibly small minority. It seems to be in the limelight all the time and there are heads gone on both sides.

Woe betide anyone who ever expresses an opinion either way on social media. 

20 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

"Parents and carers play an important part in a young person's life and in any decision making process, particularly for those in a primary school setting."

Seeing as you couldn't be fucked to actually read the thing

My son's pal is trans and his parents are absolute b*****ds about it. They've refused to call him by the name he wants for over 3 years now and they've actively got in the way of him getting medical support. The moment he leaves school he'll be leaving home too. Usually parent will be great but sometimes they're the single biggest problem. Especially if they've gone over to the Alba cult.

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

My only question would be why the government spend so much time and effort on this incredibly small minority. It seems to be in the limelight all the time and there are heads gone on both sides.

Not just this but in most things - it isn't the size of the minority that counts, but how loud they are. If they can get media attention then job done.  And this issue more than most gets the media frothing at the mouth.

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I did read it and couldn't find anywhere the main point of the Mail's story about parents not being told. 

Woe betide anyone who ever expresses an opinion either way on social media. 

That's the whole point about equality - it's not just equality for the majority.

I think you're getting a misleading picture from social media and the right-wing press. The government spends a minuscule amount of time on this issue.

Just now, GordonS said:

My son's pal is trans and his parents are absolute b*****ds about it. They've refused to call him by the name he wants for over 3 years now and they've actively got in the way of him getting medical support. The moment he leaves school he'll be leaving home too. Usually parent will be great but sometimes they're the single biggest problem. Especially if they've gone over to the Alba cult.

Parents are often the biggest hurdle, not just for trans kids but gay kids as well. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Not just this but in most things - it isn't the size of the minority that counts, but how loud they are. If they can get media attention then job done.  And this issue more than most gets the media frothing at the mouth.

The noise isn't coming from trans people themselves. It's coming from people like me who are angry at the bigotry aimed at trans people. This wasn't an issue at all until transphobes decided to target the Gender Reform Bill, and prevented it from passing. Did you ever hear about it before then?

Just now, GordonS said:

The noise isn't coming from trans people themselves. It's coming from people like me who are angry at the bigotry aimed at trans people. This wasn't an issue at all until transphobes decided to target the Gender Reform Bill, and prevented it from passing. Did you ever hear about it before then?

My wife worked with a guy who transitioned years ago, around 2005. She knew him as a man, then he had a holiday and came back as a woman. There were meetings with staff, and she was a friend of my wife. That was my first real knowledge of it outside of Coronation Street (Hayley Cropper). And the folk my wife worked with were nothing but supportive. 

The Bill really roused a section of society

23 minutes ago, GordonS said:

What is the bolded part a reference to?

I've only ever met 3 people who transitioned or wanted to.

1 guy at work had been married and had a teenage kid then decided he wanted to be known as Erin instead of Eric. The work were supportive and also warned anyone that had an issue with it that they would be the ones getting a disciplinary for any jokes/bullying. He went down to the London office as she which I would guess helped with the transition.

I met at a funeral one woman who used to be a man. He was a large guy who made a very unconvincing woman but if she's happy now then fair enough. It was difficult ot keep a straight face with that one though because she looked ridiculous. And I am aware that means I am infantile.

While we were on  holiday my daughter was talking to a lassie who was 15 who was fairly obviously a boy in the wrong body. She had all the mannerisms and looks of a teenage boy. She had understanding parents who were obviously very supportive of her and as soon as it was legal she was going to become a he. I'm not sure that the other 2 people had understanding parents since it took them a lot longer to decide to transition.

I can't say I'll ever understand it but I don't get the rabid rants from both sides of the argument. Like I say, it's an incredibly small minority of the population. Just let them get on with it. Live their life as they want.

26 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

"Parents and carers play an important part in a young person's life and in any decision making process, particularly for those in a primary school setting."

Seeing as you couldn't be fucked to actually read the thing

I think he can read perfectly well and is highlighting the incendiary part of what is, having spent about 40 minutes reading it, a decent enough framework.

For most 12+ yo's the guidance seems decent and reasonable..  Maybe even commendable.  However, the section about primary aged kids is unacceptable and at this age really it isn't the school's business.  To quote in full:

Recognition and development of gender identity

Recognition and development of gender identity can occur at a young age. Some young people are exploring their gender identity in primary school settings. Primary schools need to be able to meet the needs of these young people to ensure they have a safe, inclusive and respectful environment in which to learn. This guidance is, therefore, applicable to primary school settings although careful professional judgement must be applied to ensure support offered is age appropriate.

If a young person in the school says that they now want to live as a boy although their sex assigned at birth was female, or they now want to live as a girl, although their sex assigned at birth was male, it is important to provide support and listen to what they are saying.

If others deny this, it may have a detrimental impact on the young person's wellbeing, relationships and behaviour and this is often clearly apparent to teachers, parents and carers.

If a young person would like changes to be made in order that they are supported to learn, then consider 'what is in the best interests of the young person?'. You may also want to get support and advice from school leadership, local authorities or an outside agency.

Parents and carers play an important part in a young person's life and in any decision making process, particularly for those in a primary school setting. Where possible, consider the best approach to involving and including the young person in any decision making. If information needs to be shared with others, take time to consider the young person's view and understand the impact this decision may have on their wellbeing. You should make sure that any sharing of information complies with the relevant legal requirements.

All young people who have capacity to form their own views have a right to express their views freely in matters that affect them, under Article 12 of the UNCRC. There are particular considerations for young people's legal capacity in relation to their own decision making when they are under the age of 12 years in certain decisions. Further information on legal capacity is available on page 60, Information on involving young people is available from page 47.

Many children behave in ways which do not conform to gender stereotypes, and they may experience bullying as a result. Although this guidance was not developed specifically for young people who do not conform to gender stereotypes, who are not transgender, this guidance may still be useful to inform school practice.

In general, being alert to gender stereotypes[17] and being aware that not every child will identify as the sex they were assigned at birth, will help create an environment in which all young people can flourish.

In primary schools this awareness could mean:

• Ensuring play and learning options are gender neutral
  • Ensuring feedback is consistent (boys and girls aren't praised for different things)
  • Using books and resources which challenge gender stereotypes and include transgender people
  • Participating in transgender commemorative and celebratory days (such as LGBT History Month and Transgender Day of Visibility alongside other commemorative days (such as International Women's Day).

Not conforming to gender stereotypes is a healthy and normal part of growing up and should not lead to any assumptions being made that the child may be transgender, or lesbian, gay or bisexual. The distinction between 'gender non-conforming behaviour[18]' and transgender young people is that transgender young people are likely to be 'persistent and insistent' that their gender identity does not align with the sex they were assigned at birth.

There are a large number of red flags here and, of course, picking each one out, will draw accusations of '-phobia' from the dafties who support ScotchGov so I won't.

The starting point for this - otherwise pretty decent - set of guidelines should be along the lines of,:  By the end of Year 6 (or the Scotch equivalent) a child should know:

*How many carpet tiles of dimensions 30x30cm are needed to cover a floor of dimensions 4x5m with a dog-leg of 2x3.8m. 
*Be able to know the difference between: “Stop clubbing baby seals” and “Stop clubbing, baby seals”
*Be able to distinguish between a negative number and a negative person 
*Begin the wearisome journey through fact and opinion and know how one is verified versus the other.

In almost all cases, issues of gender and sexuality are best left with the parents as it has almost no place in school.  Except in weirdo Scotchland where the Partitionist government is obsessed with identity and carry that idea down to wee weans.

There are a large number of red flags here and, of course, picking each one out, will draw accusations of '-phobia' from the dafties who support ScotchGov so I won't.
The starting point for this - otherwise pretty decent - set of guidelines should be along the lines of,:  By the end of Year 6 (or the Scotch equivalent) a child should know:
*How many carpet tiles of dimensions 30x30cm are needed to cover a floor of dimensions 4x5m with a dog-leg of 2x3.8m. 
*Be able to know the difference between: “Stop clubbing baby seals” and “Stop clubbing, baby seals”
*Be able to distinguish between a negative number and a negative person 
*Begin the wearisome journey through fact and opinion and know how one is verified versus the other.
In almost all cases, issues of gender and sexuality are best left with the parents as it has almost no place in school.  Except in weirdo Scotchland where the Partitionist government is obsessed with identity and carry that idea down to wee weans.

"If others deny this, it may have a detrimental impact on the young person's wellbeing, relationships and behaviour and this is often clearly apparent to teachers, parents and carers. "

So, ignore U12s and hope it goes away?

7 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

"If others deny this, it may have a detrimental impact on the young person's wellbeing, relationships and behaviour and this is often clearly apparent to teachers, parents and carers. "

So, ignore U12s and hope it goes away?

Mental response.  Not surprising, though.

26 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How we must long for the days of state education when it completely ignored children's emotional and mental well-being. 

Is that your excuse for having a statist administration in Scotchland which wants to monitor and control?

When Nippy self-declaimed as 'Chief Mammy' in 2018 she should have been hunted.  Instead the Natter horde loved her for it so we're now in the situation where Primary weans in Scotland are subject to these guidelines.

The paragraphs that I quoted should really be replaced with something like, "None of your business".

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Is that your excuse for having a statist administration in Scotchland which wants to monitor and control?

When Nippy self-declaimed as 'Chief Mammy' in 2018 she should have been hunted.  Instead the Natter horde loved her for it so we're now in the situation where Primary weans in Scotland are subject to these guidelines.

The paragraphs that I quoted should really be replaced with something like, "None of your business".

Clearly Scottish education has failed me. I can't understand a word of this.